Heat Makes Bottles Explode

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemo

Reaction score
dont care what anybody thinks.... hot days make bottles explode!! only ever had 2 bottles now explode, and always after a sudden rise in temp outside

could be dodgy bottles and over carbing. like all liquid and air it will expand with heat so this is no suprise, but to do it the carbing would have to be on the limits or been put into dodgy bottles

Well, it's a known fact. Temperature affects the ability of liquids to retain CO2. The higher the temp, the more 'does your CO2 want to come out of solution' which can make your bottle explode, depending on initial carb level.
That's the short and simple version, others will go into more detail for sure.

could be dodgy bottles and over carbing. like all liquid and air it will expand with heat so this is no suprise, but to do it the carbing would have to be on the limits or been put into dodgy bottles

maybe a thin bottle too.... i had to have a rant cause one just went off in the garage haha

Well, it's a known fact. Temperature affects the ability of liquids to retain CO2. The higher the temp, the more 'does your CO2 want to come out of solution' which can make your bottle explode, depending on initial carb level.
That's the short and simple version, others will go into more detail for sure.

i know. youd be suprised how many people just wont believe it though. oh well, i best go out and lick it off the concrete....

Yeah, never store your prize beer on the top shelf in a kitchen.

Had a Russian Imperial Stout explode on a 46 degree day on the top shelf of pristine white kitchen (thankfully not mine).

I still haven't heard the end of it.

cheers

tnd

heres a question... when can i move them again? (from garage to fridge) does the gas inside die down at all?

I had assumed it is more to do with the combination of barometric pressure and temperature rather than just heat. When a front moves through (at least in my region) it is after a slow build up of pleasant days, finally a hot day and then when the cold front moves through (at the end of the hot day usually) the barometric pressure drops leaving a radically increased relative pressure inside the bottle. I had one batch that I lost 4 bottles to a few years ago and the bottles went in Spring and Summer on these types of days... so really my observation is completely as anecdotal and devoid of science as the 'hot day' theory, but thought I'd offer it as my experience. Also the batch was shit anyway and was overcarbed to boot.

Of course Florian's explanation is a good one, but that's not to say there can't be a confluence of factors. :icon_cheers:

no, it wont. Weak bottles and/or carbonating above their co2 volume limits will. Fix this, problem solved.

I had assumed it is more to do with the combination of barometric pressure and temperature rather than just heat. When a front moves through (at least in my region) it is after a slow build up of pleasant days, finally a hot day and then when the cold front moves through (at the end of the hot day usually) the barometric pressure drops leaving a radically increased relative pressure inside the bottle. I had one batch that I lost 4 bottles to a few years ago and the bottles went in Spring and Summer on these types of days... so really my observation is completely as anecdotal and devoid of science as the 'hot day' theory, but thought I'd offer it as my experience. Also the batch was shit anyway and was overcarbed to boot.

Of course Florian's explanation is a good one, but that's not to say there can't be a confluence of factors. :icon_cheers:

Actually I have heard a bottle let go in the shed as a storm front arrived. That moment when the big gust of wind hit and the temperature and pressure change and the bottle just went pop.

I attributed it more to pressure than temperature. Of course the other bottles in that batch turned out to be overcarbed and that must have been the weakest bottle of the bunch for only the one to let go.

dont care what anybody thinks.... hot days make bottles explode!! only ever had 2 bottles now explode, and always after a sudden rise in temp outside

dodgy brewing practices make bottles explode, magically commercial beers don't have these problems

Just thought I'd chuck that in to make sure my post doesn't totally succumb to tl;dr syndrome haha. I'm not saying the fault didn't rest with me on this one, just my observation of when they actually popped :icon_cheers:

I've had issues with dodgy glass, well I think it was dodgy. All the beer in a batch had great carbonation except 1 that blew up (twist top). Unfortunatly I don't have a CSI level crime lab at my disposal so I had to just Murder She Wrote it and put it down to dodgy glass. I now always check the twist top longnecks I'm given. A few have had bubbles in the glass or what looks like cracks that may or may not go thru the width of the glass. I just chuck them out, better to be safe then sorry.

Luckily I am starting to phase out the CUB / Lion Nathan twist tops in favor of the Coopers and old XXXX tallies :D

I had assumed it is more to do with the combination of barometric pressure and
temperature rather than just heat. When a front moves through (at least in my
region) it is after a slow build up of pleasant days, finally a hot day and then when
the cold front moves through (at the end of the hot day usually) the barometric
pressure drops leaving a radically increased relative pressure inside the bottle.
Hadn't thought about this before but definitely a possibility - atmospheric pressure
is a very strong force. In an experiment by the ol' Prof Julius Sumner years ago,
a big steel drum was heated to push out most of the air inside, capped and when
cooled, atmospheric pressure crushed it like a little aluminium can.

Bottles would be made with thickness and strength to suit normal atmos pressures
so if some atmos pressure is taken away, the bottle would not have a helping hand
in containing the CO2 in beer and could be the difference whether a bottles bursts or
not, especially if the carbonation level is borderline too much in the first place.

T.

dodgy brewing practices make bottles explode, magically commercial beers don't have these problems
Bullshit. The only bottle bomb I have ever witnessed was with a commercial beer. 3 separate bottles on one hot day. Asian brewery so I presume one may suggest they don't know what they are doing?

Bullshit. The only bottle bomb I have ever witnessed was with a commercial beer. 3 separate bottles on one hot day. Asian brewery so I presume one may suggest they don't know what they are doing?

if they are getting bottle bombs then YES, they don't know what they are doing

IMHO when you look at the causes of bottle bombs, if you get more than the extreme rare one you have fu<k'd up

Commercial breweries don't often use bottles that are 2 years old and have been reused a dozen times.

Commercial breweries don't often use bottles that are 2 years old and have been reused a dozen times.

is that how you justify your bottle bombs?

as I said a rare one is ok, but if you get more than that there is a user cause.

I used the same bottles for nearly 15 years, and only ever got 2 bottle bombs. And yes I want a fu<k'n badge for it :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back