Hallertau Mittelfrueh & W34/70 - Give me a recipe..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBOB

Reaction score
So I've got some Hallertau to use and some W34/70 yeast in the fridge

Anyone want to suggest a decent recipe to utilise these? Fathers day weekend seems like a decent excuse to do a brew :)

i have 34/70 in a slurry and also Hallertau

The bar here needs some more lighter bodied, refreshing beers so I'll likely go for 60%Pils, 40% wheat or maybe a slight change and ad a small amount of carapils or torrified wheat
mashed with a lower temp under 66 and also 4l/kg grain but with a decoction or two so 3l/kg no decoction
aiming for 1042 and 1008 or thereabouts
magnum or Hall at 60 for 14ibu
hall at 30 for 10-12 ibu

fermented at 14 but started at 11 or so

couldn't be too bad

I did one earlier in the year with Hallertau, albeit home grown stuff. It turned out really well though. I'll dig out the recipe...

Ok, so, 91.5% Boh Pilsner (Weyermann), 6.7% Munich II, 1.6% acid malt and 0.2% black malt (colour). You could probably leave out the acid and black malt if not needed though.

I used Hallertau to 6.3IBUs in a first wort addition because it's all I had left of the pellet variety (would normally use more), 17.8 iBUs from a Magnum addition at 60 mins and 5.2IBUs from a 40g addition of my Hallertau flowers at 10 mins.

I did use 2001 Urquell yeast to ferment it but I've used W34/70 in the past on similar recipes which have all turned out nicely.

100% pils malt and hallertau at 60mins and 10mins to about 20-25 IBU... Munich helles, can't go wrong much. ferment below 15C and lager for at least a month

Pils brewing for me through winter too. I cant think of any reason not to experiment, make it a light mix of other malts.
A little Magna @60 for half the bittering the main load Hallertau Mit at later boil, whirlpool and hop stand.
I also got me some of that Hallertau Blanc at ~7.4% Alpha Acid. Used all the way and I'll go there again. Good hop.

thanks for the tips guys

Might go with the Munich Helles idea, but maybe add a bit of Munich/Vienna and Acidulated Malt to the Pilsner base

So, this is what beersmith has planned for tommorrow

Style: Munich Helles
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 31.25 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
82.2% - 3.92 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)
13.7% - 0.65 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)
4.1% - 0.20 kg Acid Malt (5.9 EBC)
20IBU - 44.79 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (60min)
2.0 pkg Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70) Yeast

Mash at 66/67c
Start the ferment at ~10c, ramp up after a week

I'm on a run of German lagers at the moment, started on an Octoberfest which has been lagering for 3 weeks now, Munich Dunkel has just been dropped to lager temps and will finish the run off with a traditional Bock.

All three recipes are all Hellertauer Mittelfrueh and WY2206 Bavarian Lager but W34/70 would be fine.

The Ocotberfest tasted fantastic going into the lagering keg. Had a sneaky taste of the Munich Dunkel today. I was struggling to make a mental connection with the style descriptor of toasty bread crust flavours but now that I've tasted it, I totally see what they meant and it's delicious.

Recipes were all adapted out of Brewing Classic Styles, let me know if you want more detail.

Latest posts

Back