Hag Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making the weizen doppelbock today. It will be even better if I get good efficiency, but it's been a bit variable and sketchy lately

Link to the recipe.

This brew is going onto the yeast-cake of the B&T winning Weissbier (a Schneider clone).
Gonna give Jamil a piece of my mind if this doesn't turn out like Aventinus. :lol:

Les out :p

Can anyone help me out with some bottles up my way? I only keep enough for 1 swap so I'll need about 25-30.

Edit: Crisis averted, Keith to the rescue, thanks mate.

Right, so I'm changing my entry too. I was going to dump some fresh Wit wort onto a WLP400 yeast cake, but the current beer tastes faintly of perfumed soap! Too much chamomile perhaps?

Anyways, recipe need some tweaking so I'll go with something I know works - Smoked Robust Porter (modified Jamil's recipe). I won't get lynched for providing a smoked beer will I? I notice no-one else has... :unsure:

1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale.
2. Offline - Style undecided as yet
3. goatherder - Imperial Pilsner
4. David L - American IPA
5. Keith - wheat/alcohol/belgian/alcohol monstrosity;
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - Saison (WY3724)
8. MHB - have to test the new LCBA clone on someone
9. nooch - Oyster Stout
10. Tony - Golden Ale.
11 - Trent - Brown Porter
12 - Peve - Probably American Pale (Golden)
13 - Insight - Smoked Robust Porter
14 - Punter- American Amber
15 - Craig - American Rye
16 - Head - Not too sure, still on training wheels. Maybe Irish Red.
17 - Snagler - ESB
18 - Shmick - Spiced Belgian Golden Ale (WY3522)
19 - Leeboy - American Amber Ale
20. Danny Boy - 'Sugarloaf Sweet'
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
24. Stephen - English pale ale
25. Ms Thirsty Wench - Dark Ale
26. Fingolfin - will decide later, brew next weekend
27. michael mosely - probably a stone IPA clone, not that I would even know what the real one tastes like
28. Colin Hansell - Irish Red Ale
Reserves

1. HKS

I won't get lynched for providing a smoked beer will I? I notice no-one else has... :unsure:

Smoked beer always goes well at my place - all that meat at Xmas - and will mix well with my Ninny Lager! B)

Scotty

:angry: dunno wtf i do wrong!! very very pissed off! put my saison down tonight - 73% efficiency into the kettle - 30L at 1.045, and somehow i end up with 14L of 1.050 which is like 37% :angry: - was aiming for 25L of 1.052 heh... looks like I'll be doing another APA for you guys - hope it goes a bit better....

No boil over or anything, I just dont understand how boiling away over half of the wort (my evap must have been way high...) can leave me with only an extra 5 points... everything measured on the same hydrometer calibrated properly etc etc... guh this is so frekkin frustrating... the hydro readings were temperature compensated when they were taken, the wort was cooled and it was double checked and everything agreed...

The smoked robust porter is in the fermenters, just about to pitch the yeast. Doesn't taste as smokey as last time, but time (and beer) may have blurred my recollection. Missed OG high by 2 points, so with bottle conditioning should come out at an even 7%. Hope it turns out well!

Brew bottled and waiting to be swapped :D .... now fingers crossed that my first attempt at bulk priming works

Pok

Updating my contribution

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - APA (Flying Dog ale Wyeast)
9. nooch - Oyster Stout
10. Tony - Golden Ale.
17 - Snagler - ESB
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
27. michael mosely - probably a stone IPA clone, not that I would even know what the real one tastes like
Reserves

1. HKS

Updating my contribution as well.

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - AIPA
10. Tony - Golden Ale.
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
Reserves

1. HKS

Well
Due to a complete far cup on my behalf, you guys have gotten labelled with my NSW case swap APA (and they have the brown porter). No dramas, I will jsut adjust it in the numbers list. Hope it is no hassle.
T.

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - AIPA
10. Tony - Golden Ale.
11 - Trent - APA
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
Reserves

1. HKS

Ladies and Gentlemen, (its nice to say that...)

The Ninny Lager is on the go and will be, well, Ninny!

I know, I know ... you cant wait and I agree with you all ....

Scotty

OK. I must have missed something once apon a time

WTF is Ninny?

:lol: I can only imagine :p and i cant wait :chug:

cheers

My Bright Ale is looking and smelling great

This time of year it's hard to find the time to brew so it's good to see a couple gurgling away in the shop.
Going to try to do a quick Raspberry Heffie to put on tap for the swap day - will also try to get a sample of the HAG Oaked Baltic Porter filtered and on tap, I am thinking Guinness Gas would be nice we will have to see how it turns out.

Please no more APA's as much as I like them there are enough now - how about next year we limit it to 4-5 beers from any 1 class; on a first in best dressed basis; just to keep the diversity; thoughts any one.

Cheers

MHB

OK. I must have missed something once apon a time

WTF is Ninny?

:lol: I can only imagine :p and i cant wait :chug:

cheers

Tony,

As we say in the IT business, "Google is your friend". See here or this beer reference.

"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny here under false pretenses." (Stone Brewing Company - maker of Arrogant ******* Ale)

:rolleyes:

Mark: I've still got my attempt at a saison - I could bottle that as a kind of light saison :lol: I'm still to decide, if it's tasting half decent from the fermenter it could still be an option...

Please no more APA's as much as I like them there are enough now - how about next year we limit it to 4-5 beers from any 1 class; on a first in best dressed basis; just to keep the diversity; thoughts any one.

Can we limit them to none :ph34r:

"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny here under false pretenses." (Stone Brewing Company - maker of Arrogant ******* Ale)

OK...... Im a nincampoop and now i understand. :super:

Just pitched my replacement golden ale...... damn it smells great goind into the firmenter. better than that ESB with the northdown and dodgy teast that wont carb the bottles. ITs still flat afte 2 weeks at 25 deg.

going to tip the lot if if doesnt improve in a couplke weeks

cheers

Well, just finished brewing my contribution, i'm going to bed, got to work tomorrow (make that today) lucky i don't have a real job as such.

2. Offline - Style decided (beer)
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - AIPA
10. Tony - Golden Ale.
11 - Trent - APA
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
Reserves

1. HKS

better than that ESB with the northdown and dodgy teast that wont carb the bottles. ITs still flat afte 2 weeks at 25 deg.

Tony
Must be something going around, my last 3 beers havent carbonated very well (or at all), one is over 3 weeks old! I can only assume I put in priming dextrose that actually had no fermentables in it :eek: I always prime at 4g/L, and the one that is 3 weeks old was primed at 5g/L. You would assume I would get SOME kind of fizz, but there aint really anything.
I cannot understand it, and connot put it down to the yeast, as there were several different yeasts, and one fermented by beer out it just on 3 days (then I pitched some into a 1080 beer a few adys later, and it fermented out completely in just UNDER 3 days), so I can only assume the yeast is fine, and that there was something wrong with the priming sugar.
Fingers crossed for ya, I am taking to shaking hte buggery out of one bottle for a week to see if that improves it. Will let ya know
Trent

OK. Last night I bottled my Irish Red. Did the refract reading and it looks to be sitting around 1.011 FG. Very clear looking with the yeast sitting nice and firm in the primary. I tasted it but my taste buds are all screwed at present. Anything I taste tastes the same or burns........long story. Fingers crossed that all my stressing over my first share AG was just me being a pansy.

Cheers,
Head

Well, my contribution is bottled. Now I remember why I use kegs... :(

Latest posts

Back