Hag Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 'Just in Time' AIPA is underway. Should be nicely balanced with an OG of 1.069 and 69 IBU's ;)

Reluctantly pitched the starter on Sunday - reluctant as it looked so tasty with a thick creamy head that I wanted to drink it there and then. Boy that flying dog yeast knows how to work !

This pic shows the starter 8 hrs after stepping up from the smack pack.

Dave

wow thats awesome, do you do anything special to prepare your starters? like oxygenation with an O2 cylinder or something?

wow thats awesome, do you do anything special to prepare your starters? like oxygenation with an O2 cylinder or something?

Nope - just use the very best yeast ;)

To tell the truth this is more a reflection of the wort. I made the beer a week ago and popped it into Cubes. I collected 1.5 litres wort out of the hops in the bottom of the kettle and popped this in the fridge in a 2 litre bottle.

I smacked the pack and taunted it for a few weeks by letting it inflate and then not brewing so I popped it back in the fridge - did this 2 or 3 times. I continued this abuse when I pitched the pack into 200ml wort and let it ferment out, then popping this back in the fridge as I still didn't have the fermenter ready.

Finally cleaned up the fermenter last weekend so I boiled the saved wort and made the starter in the picture - next morning it looked that this !

Only oxygenation was a good shake when it was pitched. The reason for the thick head is lots of malt, lots of hops and I always use yeast nutrient.

Dave

MHB and others,

Turns out I have to work the day of the case swap and chances are I won't finish till 4pm or so. I assume I will just bring my cases in before hand and you guys can organise the swapping. Only thing is, what time do you anticipate still being at the shop till? as I would love to pick up my mixed cases before I fly out to asia the next day.

Hope all is coming along well

Cheers, Pok

Does anyone who is going to MHB for the HAG Xmas swap live in the toronto area?? I'm trying to work out how to get my case to MHB but also get my mixed case home before i fly out the day after the swap in amongst having to work aswell.

Keith the beer guy has offered to take my batch in to MHB for me from potters which may work well... thanks for the offer again Keith, greatly appreciated. But as I am working on the swap day and was hoping that someone involved may live in the toronto area and I may be able to pick up the mix batch on saturday evening after work...

Anyway could be a long shot but worth asking.

Cheers, Pok

G'day All

I finally got my Spiced Belgian bottled over the w/e (after a 4 wk ferment) and the hydro sample tasted very 'promising'.

Finished out fairly low at FG 1.004 but isn't as dry or thin as I expected.

I was a little worried about a new combo of spices I used also but they seemed to have worked well without overpowering the delicate Ardennes/Styrian-Saaz profile.
I'll let others be the judge once it's carbed up however.

Still a touch of hot alcohol to tame in the bottle for few weeks but looking good so far.

Cheers,
Shmick.

Just updating my beer status to "ready to drink".

1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale.
2. Offline - Style decided (beer)
3. goatherder - Imperial Pilsner. Wyeast 2001. 6.5% abv. Bottled 20/11/2007
4. David L - American IPA
5. Keith - wheat/alcohol/belgian/alcohol monstrosity;
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - English IPA
8. MHB - have to test the new LCBA clone on someone
9. nooch - AIPA
10. Tony - ESB. Bottles 1/11/07, 6.8% ABV 1.066, 56 IBU, ready to drink
11 - Trent - APA
12 - Peve - Probably American Pale (Golden)
13 - Insight - Smoked Robust Porter
14 - Punter- American Amber
15 - Craig - American Rye
16 - Head - Not too sure, still on training wheels. Maybe Irish Red.
17 - Snagler - ESB
18 - Shmick - Spiced Belgian Golden Ale (WY3522)
19 - Leeboy - American Amber Ale READY TO DRINK
20. Danny Boy - 'Sugarloaf Sweet'
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale
24. Stephen - English pale ale
25. Ms Thirsty Wench - Dark Ale
26. Fingolfin - UK Double IPA - Double IPA with a british twist
27. michael mosely - probably a stone IPA clone, not that I would even know what the real one tastes like
28. Colin Hansell - Irish Red Ale

Reserves

1. HKS

Does anyone who is going to MHB for the HAG Xmas swap live in the toronto area?? I'm trying to work out how to get my case to MHB but also get my mixed case home before i fly out the day after the swap in amongst having to work aswell.

Keith the beer guy has offered to take my batch in to MHB for me from potters which may work well... thanks for the offer again Keith, greatly appreciated. But as I am working on the swap day and was hoping that someone involved may live in the toronto area and I may be able to pick up the mix batch on saturday evening after work...

Anyway could be a long shot but worth asking.

Cheers, Pok

I am in Cardiff if that helps.

Just updating my beer status

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - English IPA
9. nooch - AIPA
11 - Trent - APA
15 - Craig - American Rye
17 - Snagler - ESB OG 1.055 FG 1.008 Bottled 25/10/07 (Ready to drink, carbonation higher than I would have liked) Critisism welcome!!!
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
27. michael mosely - probably a stone IPA clone, not that I would even know what the real one tastes like

Reserves

1. HKS

I know its off topic so here is my disclamer

:icon_offtopic:

I have some Chocolate Habanero plants that are going to get ripped out and chucked cause i already have a trillion chilli plants growing.

3 to be exact.

Are there any chilli heads thet would like one of these plants on the swap day.

They are very hot chillis and very hard to get growing but i managed it. Once they are growing you just have to keep them damp, feed them now and then and give them lots of sun for some of the hardest to get exotic chillis you can get.

let me know.... first in best dressed.

I will bring them along on swap day if anyone is interested.

cheers

I know its off topic so here is my disclamer

:icon_offtopic:

I have some Chocolate Habanero plants that are going to get ripped out and chucked cause i already have a trillion chilli plants growing.

3 to be exact.

Are there any chilli heads thet would like one of these plants on the swap day.

They are very hot chillis and very hard to get growing but i managed it. Once they are growing you just have to keep them damp, feed them now and then and give them lots of sun for some of the hardest to get exotic chillis you can get.

let me know.... first in best dressed.

I will bring them along on swap day if anyone is interested.

cheers
Count me in Tony.

K.

well im assuming they are choc habs. I planted reds, white bullets and Naga Jolokia and the choc habs. They have very different leaves to teh rest (big, round and lighter coloured) and took a lot longet to sprout.

After looking at plants on the net i have come to the conclusion that thats what they are but im not 100% sure as my brother and i had been drinking when we planted them and didnt mark the seeds. 3 weeks later i had 100 chilli plants growing

I have a couple of others as well that may be red or whire bullet habs so i will dig em all up and bring them along to see who wants what. but Schooey and keith are booked in.

cheers

Just updating my contribution status.
And keeping this thread above the QLD and Mexican case swap threads were it should be.......................... :p :p

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - English IPA
9. nooch - AIPA
11 - Trent - APA
15 - Craig - American Rye - Bottled 26/11/2007 5.4% US05
17 - Snagler - ESB OG 1.055 FG 1.008 Bottled 25/10/07 (Ready to drink, carbonation higher than I would have liked) Critisism welcome!!!

Reserves

1. HKS

Cheers

Hi Tony,

The chef (read SWMBO) has said she'd like one. Could I reserve one of the extras please?
I live in Bolwarra so could probably drop round and pick it up before hand.
Goodness knows whether I'll be in plant caring mode by the end of the swap ( and I could be travelling home on the train that night - :p )

See Yah
Pete

yeah mate.... sending PM

cheers

looks like thay are all taken

I tore out 20 odd plants that were getting cluttered a couple of weeks ago....... if i had of known.

Ahhhh next year i will grow a heap and arange a pick up day if all are keen

cheers

So, it's looks like I'm bottling the Teninch Double D (Dunkelweizen Doppelbock).

Based in a cloudy last refracto reading, I'm calling this beer in at 7.7% alc/vol.
Kudos to the W3638, which gave me 83% apparent attenuation, the same as it does in lesser gravity beers.

I'll culture some yeast for ya, Tony. Others can prob obtain it from the bottle sediment, of which there should be sufficient.

Labels may not happen, due to many factors...but if I get inspired tonight, who knows.

My crown seal bottles are all cleaned and ready to go. Bottle caps and capper at the ready, awaiting a re-boil of the cold speise (left over in the kettle, when I no-chilled the wort >>Jerry-can full).

I hope it goes well, coz there ain't no backup beer, unless I bottle the HAG Oktoberfest, but that would require diluting the beer to make the volume. Hmmm..., quick calculation, I reckon that no-one would want amid-strength Okto-beer.

Now I'm off to sing "One man went to mow, went to mow a meadow"...and a Schneider weisse clone afterward, too

Beerz
Seth :p

That would be great mate....... Im planning a dunkelweizen in the new year....... its my new years resolution...... to brew a beer using dark wheat malt :p

cheers

It's a change of beer from me.

Cheers,

Keith

5. Keith - AIPA, Wyeast 1028. Bottled 07/12/07
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - English IPA
9. nooch - AIPA
11 - Trent - APA
15 - Craig - American Rye - Bottled 26/11/2007 5.4% US05

Reserves

1. HKS

Cheers
[/quote]

Latest posts

Back