GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's quite simple. They require more material. In our particular instance we had to make a new element design to fit our particular boilers too so we had some tooling cost here too. Larger elements that take up more surface area in the base of the boiler cost more money.

We made quite a few different design changes and tested quite a few different shapes and designs before eventually making our low watt casting for the BrewZilla 65L.

In the end the expose elements were just so much more complicated to clean the marginal benefits of this lower watt density were not realised. As a result we felt the best possible result could be achieved by making a larger casting specifically suited to the BrewZilla units that we have now.

I should also note that we have also decreased the watt density on the BrewZilla 35L too. So all BrewZilla units are sold with lower watt density than our competitors (other than BM who use exposed elements).
Personally I'm glad that you decided against the exposed elements for the Robo 65 as there is no way I would have purchased it. I am grateful for the easier cleaning and reduced risk of damage that comes with the concealed elements.

IMO the Guten is probably priced closer what it is worth now; if it was 60+L then it might be worth a look for $500+.

FWIW, Kegland's Q&A is about the only reason I visit this forum these days, not because I "support" KL (I prefer to use local retailers, if they stock what I'm after) but because I'm not aware of any other manufacturers/retailers who are so engaged with their customer base for product development.

I like the opportunity to find out what's in the pipeline and maybe influence things under development to be a bit better suited to my needs. What KL offers here is unique, however it seems this is also the epicentre of the childish nonsense that seems to be this forum's signature in recent times.

With the continually declining quality and diversity of content on this site, there's not a lot else here for me.

It's good to know that according to WEAL you get more than 3 years warranty on a sub $500 product. I assume we can take this to consumer affairs and it's a done deal?
The latest email from KK says they give a 3 year warranty...
(their site & facebook says 2 years)
upload_2019-6-13_23-40-13.png

What are consumer guarantees?
Consumer guarantees are a set of rules that apply to goods and services purchased by consumers under the ACL.

These rules set out the circumstances under which a business is required to provide a consumer with a remedy.

The consumer guarantees automatically apply regardless of any voluntary or extended warranty given by a seller or manufacturer of goods and services, or if such a warranty has expired.

What are consumer guarantees?
Consumer guarantees are a set of rules that apply to goods and services purchased by consumers under the ACL.

These rules set out the circumstances under which a business is required to provide a consumer with a remedy.

The consumer guarantees automatically apply regardless of any voluntary or extended warranty given by a seller or manufacturer of goods and services, or if such a warranty has expired.
I can copy and paste too, but where does it say anything about the consumer guarantee for a $500 or $650 product and it applying for any specific time period?

`Check out the site it gives examples.
I’m familiar w the site. I’ve been contracting to ACCC for best part of 15 years.

1. None of the examples refer to a time period greater than 12 months.
2. The examples don’t mean anything in court or law.
3. All the ACL says is in this regard is that if it goes to court, the judge must take into account the value and age of the product in making a ruling.

Who in there right mind would go to court over a $500-650 product that can almost always be fixed for less than $50?

Another thread, which has been taken over by the old KL vs KK!
I don’t comment on here much anymore because like someone else said it all gets a bit childish!
Now I use a Smartpid modified Grainfather (with Robobrew bits) & I like the Guten whirlpool attachment and I think it has a higher wattage! I also know what their innards look like because there is a modified Klarstein on the Smartpid website!
Some of the design points of the Robobrew are impressive ( I don’t really like the pump underneath idea on either model), but they are really a much the same. I guess that’s what happens when they all come from the same place!
Now depending on whether I can fix the boil issue on the Grainfather, I might be in the market for a new boiler ( might just make a 3 v system using the Grainfather as a mash tun). Or I might just buy one of these! My point is this constant slagging match over two very similar products is boring and a turn off!
All I want to know is how they work and the good and bad points of each from a user prospective.
Cheers

Apparently he did get in touch either by email or phone but was told that the return of the Brewzilla was at his expense

This is both correct and incorrect. The consumer has to foot the bill initially, but can recover the costs once the product is deemed faulty.
As per the ACCC website::"You are entitled to return a product if you believe that there is a problem. You are generally responsible for returning the product if it can be posted or easily returned. You are entitled to recover reasonable postage or transportation costs from the business if the product is confirmed to have a problem, so keep your receipts."

On a more Guten related front. Got my 50l on Thursday, came with a 15A plug, so I went and got one of those a 15a to 10a adaptors. Long story short it kept tripping out even at below 2000w, so I’ve got a sparky mate coming round tomorrow to install at dedicated 15a circuit.

Ah that’s more like it! Useful information, I also read on one of the overseas sites that you don’t use the pump after the boil! But there’s may have a different pump.
Cheers

Ah that’s more like it! Useful information, I also read on one of the overseas sites that you don’t use the pump after the boil! But there’s may have a different pump.
Cheers
They all have the same pump and they are rated to 80oC but some people do run them after the boil is over and immersion chiller is in.

Thanks WEAL, after much research and soul searching - I’ve decided to build my own system out of a boiler.
I already have the Grainfather and already have pumps (I picked up a new Kegking 25 watt 120oC yesterday from my LHBS dearer than the web but it supports the local bloke). The major problem is the Grainfather is not coming to boil (I been through all the steps re elevation changing settings etc). I have a Smartpid so I can automate the process & I have all the Grainfather malt pipes etc. so it would be crazy to buy a new all in one system when really all I need is a boiler!
So I’m going to build my own! But thanks for the info
Cheers

I've had a bit of a google but can't find anything
Has anyone out there built a custom controller for the Guten?
I'd guess when the new version comes out there will probably be bluetooth control from a mobile app or whatever
But I have plenty of arduinos and other bits and pieces, I'm very tempted to give it a go

Look up Smartpid -Klarstein (which is Guten in England and Europe), it comes with the special mounting plate and everything. Once you have that it will integrate with Brewfather.
http://smartpid.com/

Last edited:
I've had a bit of a google but can't find anything
Has anyone out there built a custom controller for the Guten?
I'd guess when the new version comes out there will probably be bluetooth control from a mobile app or whatever
But I have plenty of arduinos and other bits and pieces, I'm very tempted to give it a go
Check out Magical pancakes videos, hes has done a lot of modifications.

On a more Guten related front. Got my 50l on Thursday, came with a 15A plug, so I went and got one of those a 15a to 10a adaptors. Long story short it kept tripping out even at below 2000w, so I’ve got a sparky mate coming round tomorrow to install at dedicated 15a circuit.

Those 15 to 10A adaptors are causing the trip. The oven is likely to be on a 25A circuit, so easiest way is to check if the oven is hardwired or via a a 15A gpu such as this, if hardwired install the gpo and buy a 15A extension lead and you will be 3000W happier

Those 15 to 10A adaptors are causing the trip. The oven is likely to be on a 25A circuit, so easiest way is to check if the oven is hardwired or via a a 15A gpu such as this, if hardwired install the gpo and buy a 15A extension lead and you will be 3000W happier
15A outlet installed at my brewing station for material costs and a few beers = full power boiling and no extension cords required.
The adaptor was tripping, not the main circuit board, returned to the hardware store for a full refund, so I'm happy enough with the outcome.

Latest posts

Back