GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grainfather has a nice looking filter, have been wondering if i could retrofit that onto my Guten. 150g whirlpool hops is a killer trying to keep stuff from going into the fermenter.
I've looked into this as my mates have grainfathers. The black hose that fits the gf is a different diameter to the inlet hole for the pump on the guten. I think this filter works in the gf because the thing sits above any break or hops. Even then my mates had v had issues with it blocking.

I've tried the brewzilla bottom screen in my guten, took a bit of slow grinding to make it fit, but the hops and cold break still got through, mainly around the edge. I'm going to split some silicone hose and use that as a seal around the edge. There is plenty of good feedback about the hop stopper. But they're a bit expensive.

I'm not out of ideas yet with filtering in the guten and using the pump just need to keep trying.

I've looked into this as my mates have grainfathers. The black hose that fits the gf is a different diameter to the inlet hole for the pump on the guten. I think this filter works in the gf because the thing sits above any break or hops. Even then my mates had v had issues with it blocking.

I've tried the brewzilla bottom screen in my guten, took a bit of slow grinding to make it fit, but the hops and cold break still got through, mainly around the edge. I'm going to split some silicone hose and use that as a seal around the edge. There is plenty of good feedback about the hop stopper. But they're a bit expensive.

I'm not out of ideas yet with filtering in the guten and using the pump just need to keep trying.
Look wider on the Internet and you will find that the good looking filter on the GF has heaps of problems. That’s why people (including myself) have been experimenting with Brewzilla false bottoms.

You could do what I did (post 1477) got an extra pump and whirlpool through the tap outlet or just use the outlet inside the Guten and whirlpool while cooling but use a paddle for the final whirlpool before transfer so the trub ends up in the centre away from the tap.
You shouldn't get a blockage from hop pellet matter or are you using whole hops?
I have been experimenting with this on my GF and a unit that I built with off the shelf parts. Obviously the supplied pumps are too small and can’t be modified so yes a second pump is needed.
The experiments continue!

It is true Keg King are not allowed to post as they have been refused sponsorship, when the old Keg King crew went over to Keg Land they managed to take the sponsorship with them.
So in short - one major wholesaler in this country can have people slag off about there products and they have the right to respond. The other one can’t? I seem to recall a certain furore about a YouTube reviewer being accused of cash for comments about a certain review. By the way the reason the Guten was not reviewed was it’s not available in Norway apparently - anyhow I digress!
Moderators if some people on here are working for a major wholesaler - shouldn’t there be some sought of declaration?
Just a thought!

That’s why people (including myself) have been experimenting with Brewzilla false bottoms.

I was considering buying one of these for my Guten, but then realised that it is a smaller diameter than the Guten - by a decent bit too. I was concerned that everything would just flow around it, like @FarsideOfCrazy said happened to them.

Do you both think that some silicone tubing around the edges will be thick enough to stop that flow around? I would also be concerned about the tubing coming off

It is true Keg King are not allowed to post as they have been refused sponsorship, when the old Keg King crew went over to Keg Land they managed to take the sponsorship with them.

Interesting to hear that. So where are the Beerensteins, goatchops etc etc on this subject. Sounds pretty unfair if that is the case. I often wondered why there is no KK session on this site.

So in short - one major wholesaler in this country can have people slag off about there products and they have the right to respond. The other one can’t? I seem to recall a certain furore about a YouTube reviewer being accused of cash for comments about a certain review. By the way the reason the Guten was not reviewed was it’s not available in Norway apparently - anyhow I digress!
Moderators if some people on here are working for a major wholesaler - shouldn’t there be some sought of declaration?
Just a thought!

Something rotten in the state of Denmark, Norway and Victoria …..

Beat me to it Kenf, a second pump is beneficial for whirlpooling, the pump intake on the Guten is away from the side so the trub is going to go down the intake. Still not an ideal solution using the second pump but could be part way there. I have thought of ordering in some more helix but instead of a tight wind leave a minuscule gap between the coils. The other idea is a perforated strip around the outer edge making a 45 degree concave shape, as Kenf says experiments continue.

Just a thought!
He ( David Heath) did make comments about one of the brand names which Guten, Hopcat, Brew Devil, and the numerous other names it goes in throughout Europe.
For me the right of response is important, I was in a neutral corner until KL started slagging off KK a company they had worked for and KK having no right of response. I don't think it would be that good to have two major wholesalers sniping at each other.
See dibbz post 21 the findings of a court case was handed down on Friday, now that will be interesting to see, unfortunately it takes 2 weeks to publicize the results. I am willing to bet dibbz was on the money.

I was considering buying one of these for my Guten, but then realised that it is a smaller diameter than the Guten - by a decent bit too. I was concerned that everything would just flow around it, like @FarsideOfCrazy said happened to them.

Do you both think that some silicone tubing around the edges will be thick enough to stop that flow around? I would also be concerned about the tubing coming off
Clarke Rubber have a plastic 'U' strip which will fit snugly around the edge of the false bottom, just means taking a bit more metal off the edge.

Last edited:

I bought the one for the 65 litre brewzilla then trimmed it to fit snug. The smaller one would do nothing.

I think you are right on all counts WEAL. I currently looking at the latest Nano stuff on the CPB site and in all honesty if I had waited a few weeks the answers to all my problems are right there!
I have basically turned the GF into a monster now & I have refitted a helix to one outlet and believe it or not the Guten filter to the other slightly higher outlet! The other one based on a boiler unit (from you know who), has its false bottom and two outlets/ inlets. One below the false bottom and one above (also fitted with a CPB whirlpool device).
The false bottom did work in the GF - but with the two tri-clamp bulkhead fittings and the retrofitted 2400 watt heater unit, it all got a bit crowded! And I noticed some strange temperature readings so I think I may have been over filtering or creating hot spots!
I’m not really sure if there is a perfect solution to the filtration problem in all honesty! I’m still experimenting though!
As for the other stuff, I’m a bit tired of it all! I will go and read what dibbz said and maybe check out the court decision when it’s released ( I tend to look up court decisions as part of my job), but other than that, I’m really don’t care other than as a matter of fairness!
Cheers mate

See dibbz post 21 the findings of a court case was handed down on Friday, now that will be interesting to see, unfortunately it takes 2 weeks to publicize the results. I am willing to bet dibbz was on the money.
Interesting!,

That false bottom is for the malt pipe. I've not had a problem with the malt pipe false bottom.

Interesting to hear that. So where are the Beerensteins, goatchops etc etc on this subject. Sounds pretty unfair if that is the case. I often wondered why there is no KK session on this site.

I’ll openly say I work at KL - no dramas there. Do I or anyone that actually works at KL care to weigh in? Nope. I personally don’t like posting here for how political and off topic it’s become, though. Gone are the days of being able to post without being questioned/accused/ridiculed.

I can say with 100% certainty that of our office staff of a mere 5 people, only I and Kee (as KegLand itself) post on this forum these days. The usual people accused who happen to support KegLand are just supporters at most.
To be honest, It’s a much more pleasant experience on the Facebook forums where there isn’t the shroud of secrecy that allows for the conspiracy. People are nicer when they bear their real names.

I will say though, it’s funny knowing both sides of the whole debate and reading conjecture. Especially when it’s from people who obviously have some internal knowledge of the affair but just enough incorrect facts to know they don’t know it all or only one spirited half.

Long live awesome deals and innovation (whoever be the supplier)!

Thanks for your response mate! I think you raised some good points.
I’m not going to say anymore (as this is the Guten thread) other than I like your products!
Being able to buy bits and pieces of the Brewzilla has allowed me to try new ideas at a price point that is not crippling.
Again thx & cheers

I’ll openly say I work at KL - no dramas there. Do I or anyone that actually works at KL care to weigh in? Nope. I personally don’t like posting here for how political and off topic it’s become, though. Gone are the days of being able to post without being questioned/accused/ridiculed.

I can say with 100% certainty that of our office staff of a mere 5 people, only I and Kee (as KegLand itself) post on this forum these days. The usual people accused who happen to support KegLand are just supporters at most.
To be honest, It’s a much more pleasant experience on the Facebook forums where there isn’t the shroud of secrecy that allows for the conspiracy. People are nicer when they bear their real names.

I will say though, it’s funny knowing both sides of the whole debate and reading conjecture. Especially when it’s from people who obviously have some internal knowledge of the affair but just enough incorrect facts to know they don’t know it all or only one spirited half.

Long live awesome deals and innovation (whoever be the supplier)!
This all sounds really murky to me. How biased is all this then? If one supplier is allowed in but the other one is not how does that benefit the HB community? Would it not be better if both sides could present? One has to wonder about all the biased you tube videos against the Guten product for example and more. How many shills are involved?

Does anyone know what sort of probe the Guten has? Is it a one wire DS18B20?

Back