GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on trying the same brew twice, one with just a normal sparge, then with a sparge ring for recirculating over the lifted malt pipe (after sparging) to test whether this improves clarity. the theory is the grain bed will act as a filter like it would in a normal mash tun
I'll be using some rice hulls to help avoiding slow flow. (any suggestions on how much for a 20L batch?)

Recirculating after lifting the malt pipe shouldn't change anything at all. If you were getting proper recirculation during the mash, then the filtering through the bed will already be done. All that you'll be doing is extending the recirculation in an unnecessary and complicated fashion.

Regarding the rice hulls - I personally don't use them. I condition the malt before milling it with 2% of the grain weight in water, and that helps form a greatly bulked up grain bed that not only gets great flow through (pump open on full blast last two batches), but also nets me 80-82% efficiency

Goat chop when you say proper recirculating you mean it’s all going through the grain bed and little to none through the overflow?

Last edited:
Another question is has anyone done any huge beers in a 50L Guten?
I'm planning on doing a RIS and a BW (both around 10-12% ABV) and I'm not quite sure what preboil volume I should be looking for

Right so looking at beersmith i did 10kg grain, mashed with 28L of water and sparged with 10L. Was aiming for 1.078 but hit 1.068 instead with 30L before the boil. 90 minute boil down to 21L and 1.081 (aiming for 1.102... so a big miss here ha).

Fermented out to around 9.5%ABV so as i said, not as big as i would have hoped. I used a couple handful of rice hulls but cant really comment if they helped or not. I did read about soaking your rice hulls before adding, so i might try that next high-adjunct mash (i'm looking at you, flaked oats...).

Well the court case last week is listed on Austlii,really it’s only house keeping and legal side stepping. Does it look bad? You be the judge!
If you do read it (MCH vs Australia vs Kee Doery & Orr’s)
You will notice posts off this site are quoted in evidence.
So there is a bit of a warning!
Just remember this was only about what should be in and what shouldn’t!
The main game is yet to occur!
No further comment from Me!

Link?

Seriously, can we piss off this crap to a dedicated thread somewhere else?
Just get over it, it's old
Also, it looks like the temp sensor is a 100k NTC

What are your intentions?
Another option is to send an email to Sandy at Guten you will definitely get an answer.
To set up craftbeerpi. I hoped they might be Onewire probes but they aren't. Ive found out they are NTC. So look's like I cant use the existing probes.

Recirculating after lifting the malt pipe shouldn't change anything at all. If you were getting proper recirculation during the mash, then the filtering through the bed will already be done. All that you'll be doing is extending the recirculation in an unnecessary and complicated fashion.
I see where your coming from with the sparge, but I would have my doubts if the clarity would change much at all, if at all. Your already recirculating during the mash, hopefully all the little bits in the liquor would be getting dumped on top of the grain bed, when ever I have taken the pre boil gravity the wort is very clear.
Is the RIS the 20 litre batch? Do you already know your boil of rate?
That's cool, but after asking on a few facebook groups for Gutens/Klarsteins/etc no one had tried this but most said it wouldn't do anything
That's why I want to do it, to prove whether it does anything or not, because no one else has tried
At worst I've wasted $5 on a camlock fitting and 30 minutes making a sparge ring and associated bits from stuff I have laying around
I'll be brewing probably my house saison, I go through kegs of it like crazy because visitors love it so all is good

And yes the RIS and BW will be 20L, haven't dialled in my boiloff rate yet

Or just go to the Austlii web site select Victoria & type MCH
Just remember that it is really two groups of people versions of events and some rulings on some housekeeping matters. I.e what should be in and what should be out. These things always look bad!
Not sure when the actual case is listed

Price lists and email addresses.. I am sure the lawyers will love arguing over it and taking money from both sides but I highly doubt it will be the end of KL

This all sounds really murky to me. How biased is all this then? If one supplier is allowed in but the other one is not how does that benefit the HB community? Would it not be better if both sides could present? One has to wonder about all the biased you tube videos against the Guten product for example and more. How many shills are involved?
Agree with you FreeBSD, as nice as his post is, there is no right of reply. Moderators still very silent. btw ~$7 million damages

Last edited:
That's cool, but after asking on a few facebook groups for Gutens/Klarsteins/etc no one had tried this but most said it wouldn't do anything
That's why I want to do it, to prove whether it does anything or not, because no one else has tried
At worst I've wasted $5 on a camlock fitting and 30 minutes making a sparge ring and associated bits from stuff I have laying around
I'll be brewing probably my house saison, I go through kegs of it like crazy because visitors love it so all is good

And yes the RIS and BW will be 20L, haven't dialled in my boiloff rate yet
If you don't have a go you will never know. My boil off is 5 litres / hour.

Please oh pretty please, does this mean you'll fuc k off with your constant bullshit. This forum would new better off without you.
I hardly think thats fair, in this thread alone which WEAL started and has contributed a wealth of information. If it wasn't for those following his lead in purchasing the Guten from China and contributing to a successful thread, it may not have come to the notice of KK and making the Guten easier to purchase for Australian home brewers.

Have a link to your recipe?
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/thread...ts-your-best-recipe.93317/page-2#post-1420967
The hopping has changed a bit since then, still predominantly Perle and EKG but the cube hop is usually something like Bramling Cross now, which I find works great in a Saison
I've been using Coopers Pale Malt as the base malt lately and I find that I'm liking it more than I did with JW or BB Pale malts
Hibiscus is optional, I find either in cube or at flameout works well
For visitors I ferment it with Wyeast French Saison, if it's just for myself I use a blend made from Wyeast French Saison and a few different bottle dregs (Wildflower and La Sirene mostly)

Goat chop when you say proper recirculating you mean it’s all going through the grain bed and little to none through the overflow?

Eventually, yes. I go by the Grainfather videos that I've seen, where they are happy to let it flow through the overflow initially, and will eventually all flow through the grain bed.
I'm happy to go by the GF guide, as their user guide is quite comprehensive, unlike the little to none that came with the guten when I got it (pre-KK stocking it)

Latest posts

Back