GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we are requesting recipes, can we get WEAL's ESB recipe? (i assume the beer i have seen in multiple pics now is an ESB or something close)

So I did a smaller batch on the guten a couple of weeks ago - I am aiming for a 10L batch, with which to fill my two 5L mini kegs.
I did a full volume mash for the first time (as it was a small batch) and my efficiency dropped from my usual ~80% to ~70%. Do I remember reading correctly that others who do full volume mashes with their Guten have seen similar efficiency drops?

The drop is about what you stated, I dialed in to brewers friend 70% efficiency I now have it at 60% and add more water. 70% dial in does work but not every time, maybe try 65%.

The drop is about what you stated, I dialed in to brewers friend 70% efficiency I now have it at 60% and add more water. 70% dial in does work but not every time, maybe try 65%.

Cheers.
I did only do a 30 min boil, so next time that I do a smaller batch with full volume mash I might even bring it back up to 60 min and see if the increased water volume changes anything

Eventually, yes. I go by the Grainfather videos that I've seen, where they are happy to let it flow through the overflow initially, and will eventually all flow through the grain bed.
I'm happy to go by the GF guide, as their user guide is quite comprehensive, unlike the little to none that came with the guten when I got it (pre-KK stocking it)
Thx - I’m starting to focus more on yield so I have started to throttle back the flow rate
Cheers

I have the flexible arm on the Brau Wolf, not really a game changing idea, doesn't bother me either way, maybe useful for some one forever taking the lid off during the mash cycle.
Piece of dowel does me for liquor measuring, but I am glad Guten took note of the lock in bottom screen which is on the Brau Wolfe.
Also if we are getting a 70 litre, why bother making a 65 litre, seems a bit pointless having a discrepancy of 5 litres?

Called in to get some Atomic 15 and saw this. Not much bigger than the 50 L and a slightly bigger diameter and it is 70 L. Got the sight glass as well
003.JPG

We are getting a 70 litre a sample came in with the new Guten S/Steel fermenters.
Yeah I’m thinking is I want to go to 70 litre - I might go the CP 3v system with their new SS vessels with the 2 inch Tri clover and the new 300 micron baskets.
But yeah seams funny having a 65 & a 70!
I like how they have mounted the controller!
Are the new fermenters in? Yippee!!

While we are requesting recipes, can we get WEAL's ESB recipe? (i assume the beer i have seen in multiple pics now is an ESB or something close)
Got my recipe from BYO magazine, which is now locked unless you are a subscriber.
Here is the one from American Home Brewers.
Fuller’s ESB Clone | Extra Special/Strong Bitter
INGREDIENTS
  • For 5 gallons (19 L)
  • 9.0 lb. (4.1 kg) English pale malt
  • 1.0 lb. (454 kg) crystal 70° L
  • 0.5 lb. (225 g) crystal 26° L
  • 1.0 oz. (28 g) Target pellet hops, 6.7% a.a. (60 min.)
  • 0.5 oz. (14 g) Challenger pellet hops, 8.2% a.a. (15 min.)
  • 0.5 oz. (14 g) Northdown pellet hops, 7.6% a.a. (8 min.)
  • 0.5 oz. (14 g) Goldings whole hops (dry)
  • White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Original Gravity: 1.054
  • Final Gravity: 1.010
  • IBU: 32
  • SRM: 13
  • Boil Time: 90 minutes
DIRECTIONS
Mash grains at 155°F (68°C) for 60 minutes. Ferment at 65°F (18°C) and condition for 30 days.

Malt Extract Recipe:
Substitute 8.0 lb. (3.6 kg) of pale malt extract syrup for the English pale malt.

Pretty much the same as mine but I add .08% chocolate, I try and keep my bitters between 4 and 5%
I prefer the Bass Pale Ale and my own best bitter, but always trying new recipes.

Yeah I’m thinking is I want to go to 70 litre - I might go the CP 3v system with their new SS vessels with the 2 inch Tri clover and the new 300 micron baskets.
But yeah seams funny having a 65 & a 70!
I like how they have mounted the controller!
Are the new fermenters in? Yippee!!

Why are ppl wanting the 70 litre?
I do, because I have a half barrel fermenter @ 66L, and want to do 3 cornys at a time, rather than 2 with the 50L Guten. Am I missing something?

Why are ppl wanting the 70 litre?
I do, because I have a half barrel fermenter @ 66L, and want to do 3 cornys at a time, rather than 2 with the 50L Guten. Am I missing something?
Sorry mate you miss understood- I thought just doing a 70 instead of the 65 was a better idea. But like I said I don’t care, I’m going to build my own ;)

Who is 'we'?

What is the real full volume of the 70L? I noticed the '65L' was only 62L to the top.
Same with my Robo V2, advertised as 35L but only 31-32L to the brim.
We, us here in Australia. I haven't seen it wouldn't know the full volume, they will probably have the info on facebook before long.

I see KK updated their pricing and joined the race to the bottom :)

After trying the robobrew falsey, I'm going to go the gentle angle grinder technique on a brewzilla false bottom, the lid will work as a template, I think then the whirlpool arm will work.

Hi @Keg King. I'm wondering if you guys are working on some sort of filter for the guten vessels that we can use the internal pump to filter out hops and cold break?

Back