I'm not Keg King (really I'm not). But this is what I have been doing.
- I originally used the hop spider that came with the Guten. I used it 3 brews, had it overflow twice, I now no longer use it.
- Now, I just dump the hops straight in without any filter anywhere in the Guten.
- After the wort has cooled to 45C or so, I get out the battery powered drill and using a grainfather whirlpool "thingamejig (random google search)", I whirlpool for a minute.
- Then I let it rest for 20min.
- Now, I hook up silicone hose to Guten recirc outlet, and I turn the pump on, I discard the first 500ml.
- I hold a kitchen sieve betweer the recirc outlet and the fermenter. After about 30 to 60 seconds, there are no more hop debris until I near the end of the batch.
- As soon as I see the next hop stuff coming thru I turn off the valve.
- There is usually about a litre to a litre and a half loss.
No issues with pump. I dont reckon a filter is required.