GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very concerning, I appear to be one of the only other owners with a fault. They replaced the re-circulation pipe on my unit but i certainly would have raised hell if they didn't.

Very concerning, I appear to be one of the only other owners with a fault. They replaced the re-circulation pipe on my unit but i certainly would have raised hell if they didn't.

And so you should! as per my last post, Keg King seem reasonable to deal with. If they were not I wouldn't buy stuff from them.

There are known weak points with the Guten that may need addressing within warranty if you use it a lot, eg. the crappy switches.
But if you search for problems with any 1v system you'll get lots of results. Be it Guten, Robobrew, Grainfather or even Braumeister

If money was not a consideration I'd personally buy a 50l Braumeister as I've seen one in operation and the quality level and the smart functions are awesome.
But as my little Guten cost 10% of a Braumeister I'm more than happy.
Already done 6 brews and no major issues.
edit: my last sentence made no sense so simplified it :)

Now to shift topic... has anyone done any kettle souring in the Guten yet?
Can't say I have, but if I was thinking of it I'd probably just drop the wort into my old urn instead of doing it in the Guten.
A Flanders Red just went onto my "to brew" list :)

I have been having nothing but issues with the Guten. I was somehow convinced by the KK staff that purchasing the Helix Coil Snake thing but this blocked up completely so I had to empty the whole boiler. Clear out this Helix Coil then start the boil again.

On the second time I ran the Guten, the thing stopped working all together and got no power to the screen!

I tried to return the unit and then was told I won't be able to return it. I've been extremely disappointed with the customer service and quite frankly, I would not recommend this POS.

I wish I had purchased a Grainfather, Robobrew, or Braumeister as this is simply not what it cracked up to be for me and most certainly it has not been a good experience being a new brewer by using this... thing and then getting close to no customer service at all.

Hmm this post does seem a bit suss. Only joined 2 weeks ago and 1 post ( which doesn't make a whole lot of sense). Even the location of the poster doesn't seem right.

I have been having nothing but issues with the Guten. I was somehow convinced by the KK staff that purchasing the Helix Coil Snake thing but this blocked up completely so I had to empty the whole boiler. Clear out this Helix Coil then start the boil again.

On the second time I ran the Guten, the thing stopped working all together and got no power to the screen!

I tried to return the unit and then was told I won't be able to return it. I've been extremely disappointed with the customer service and quite frankly, I would not recommend this POS.

I wish I had purchased a Grainfather, Robobrew, or Braumeister as this is simply not what it cracked up to be for me and most certainly it has not been a good experience being a new brewer by using this... thing and then getting close to no customer service at all.

Now to shift topic... has anyone done any kettle souring in the Guten yet?

It's no my list to do. A friend has done a couple of kettle sours in his grainfather, so I was going to extract some knowledge from him.
My only concern would be bugs hiding in the pump afterwards, but I guess that a good clean with the pump running with PBW then sodium perc, then starsan would kill anything hiding in there (maybe a bit over the top, but it wouldn't be too much more effort)

It's no my list to do. A friend has done a couple of kettle sours in his grainfather, so I was going to extract some knowledge from him.
My only concern would be bugs hiding in the pump afterwards, but I guess that a good clean with the pump running with PBW then sodium perc, then starsan would kill anything hiding in there (maybe a bit over the top, but it wouldn't be too much more effort)
If you're pumping PBW through - no need for the Perc
PBW is approx 60% Perc anyway.

That’s about what I thought, I read the same article when I googled
Just thought I’d ask to get a reference on the page.
Apart from the occasional Berliner Weiss, sours wernt anthing when I brewed last, I did make lambic though using bottle dregs

I am also "new" to brewing and had similar issue with the Guten. My screen goes blank. Does anyone else have this issue at all?

I used to brew extract kits then took a long ass break from home brewing... around 10 years. Now just getting back into it, I have not been that impressed with this unit. If I leave it for about 2 hours it comes back to life but something seems to be wrong with the electronics in the brewery. It's bizarre.

I am also "new" to brewing and had similar issue with the Guten. My screen goes blank. Does anyone else have this issue at all?

I used to brew extract kits then took a long ass break from home brewing... around 10 years. Now just getting back into it, I have not been that impressed with this unit. If I leave it for about 2 hours it comes back to life but something seems to be wrong with the electronics in the brewery. It's bizarre.

I had something similar happen to me a while back, there is a plug in the PCB that had come loose, if you open the PCB and see a plug undone then just plug it back in, it should be fairly obvious.

Will be making the switch from BIAB to the Guten next month, just building up a stock of 'parts' to make sure I am ready to hit the ground running once I take delivery. Whats the general consensus for fitting hose to the immersion chiller? Looks as though the chiller is about 10mm pipe therefore if I just connect good old 12mm garden hose to the end of this with secure hose clamps is this going to be enough or should I really be looking at compression fittings? If so, and excuse a stupid question, are 12mm compression fittings fit for purpose here? Cheers

Hi Edd. I did have a length of hose with hose clamps but no matter how tight i had them it still leaked. I ended up getting compression fittings from pirtek and no the 12mm ones won't fit. You need 3/8in or 10mm

I just put ordinary garden hose on both sides, the first clamps I put on were the ones that you tighten by hand they leaked, Then I heated the hose up with a hair dryer (I also use a hairdryer for beer and gas line works a treat) and I only put the hose on far enough for the clamps to fit then while still soft I used 11-16mm screw on clamps. It worked well no leaks

I jammed the hose on with the hand tightened clamps. Hasn’t leaked yet.

i just went for hose clamps, went back and tightened them every few days before i brewed to make sure. had some very minor leakage but the connection sat outside of the kettle so it was fine.

If i did two clamps on each connection i reckon i might have cancelled it out

Discussions elsewhere about warranties prompted a question that I think is better suited here.

A common fault in the Guten is some of the electricals, in particular a dodgy switch. Purchasers of these units are apparently buying a replacement switch in advance, just waiting for the original to cark it.

Does replacing this switch yourself, instead of sending in to Kegking for repair, void the warranty?

Latest posts

Back