GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m thinking of buying a Guten in the new year, the comments about dubious switches were noted a while back, and I’ve seen the tin can quality of the Robobrew and the exey Grandfather and the elitist Braumeister.
In due course I’ll put my big boy pants on and make my decision.
Now can we move on ?

I can't understand why you are so worried about anyone who may have bought a Guten, or are in the process of getting one, if you have any questions direct them to KK.
I don't think he's worried about people who have bought a Guten, it looks to me that he's worried about the advice you are giving. It looks like worry that's warranted.

I didn't think the Guten went through any retailers, I was under the impression that the only option was to buy was from KK? Is that not the case? If the Guten was purchased from a retailer then it goes back to the place of purchase.

I bought mine from Brewmart in Perth, so there are HBS stocking them. Pretty much all the shops that use KK as a distro will stock them, it either that or move to using KL as a distro to get hold of the Robobrew again.

If you buy it from KK then they are the retailer. Place of purchase = retailer. Best reason to buy locally is that if it breaks you can take it back to the shop.

I bought mine from Brewmart in Perth, so there are HBS stocking them. Pretty much all the shops that use KK as a distro will stock them, it either that or move to using KL as a distro to get hold of the Robobrew again.

If you buy it from KK then they are the retailer. Place of purchase = retailer. Best reason to buy locally is that if it breaks you can take it back to the shop.

And that's the reason a lot of brew shops won't stock either of these machines.....

And that's the reason a lot of brew shops won't stock either of these machines.....
Yup, costs a fraction of the price of either unit to set up BIAB. Feels great doing it yourself rather than buying a bespoke system. A good LHBS is a great source of advice in building them too.

Last edited:

Not all of them have to, as long as the bigger ones do in each state then people have options. The bread and butter of most stores is consumables, hops, grain, yeast etc.

BIAB is fine, but it can be a hassle to set up a machine that is as effective as the off the shelf systems. Some people would rather spend their time brewing than DIYing a brewery and are willing to pay for that.

The robobrew has really changed the face of all grain. so many more people now brewing with grains has seen more competition in the HBS space and so more options for brewers. There is now more variety of hops and malts available than ever before, mostly because all grain si so much more accessible.

Agree with Lionman, I got sold on the Guten after reading this thread, it was a 2 horse race, Guten or GF, certainly going to make my brewing life easier.

It is when you have the Robobrew, that is when I would really start worrying, ask Sydney Harbour Bridge, he's barely slept a wink since his Robobrew fell off the perch.

It's true but not because of the thing failing, it is an early model and made in China so is by default shit anyway. Mrs HB and son of HB are giving me grief at the moment and work are making unreasonable demands on me which makes the prospect of a beer famine even grimmer.

My predicament with the robobrew is that I shelled out $490 ish for this a couple of years ago, the robobrew V3 is a little bit cheaper, the guten is about the same, they will probably do the same job but as I love brewing beer I don't want to hand over the control to a circuit board, I'm quite happy to switch things on and off, turn valves, measure pH, gravity etc.it's all part of the joy of brewing for me so I am leaning towards my cunning plan of buying the kegland 35L urn and grafting my robobrew organs into it to make a "Frankenbrew" or ghetto robobrew.

Agree with Lionman, I got sold on the Guten after reading this thread, it was a 2 horse race, Guten or GF, certainly going to make my brewing life easier.

A friend of mine who started me rock-climbing told me, "when life ceases to be a struggle it looses its meaning" I think you need to look at why we brew our own beer, you can definitely buy good beer in Australia these days, I doubt it makes economic sense.

I don't want to hand over the control to a circuit board,

None of these machines can control anything. You are in control. You can set timers etc but its still you that control it. If you don't like it you can still just switch them on and off manually.

We aren't talking about a Brewie here.

PERTH.
Anyone in Perth with a Guten, or indeed any of the single vessel units, I’d very much like to invite myself to your next brew day if possible ?

PERTH.
Anyone in Perth with a Guten, or indeed any of the single vessel units, I’d very much like to invite myself to your next brew day if possible ?

Brewmart in Bayswater often do brewdays on Saturdays. They did a side by side brew with Robobrew and Guten a while back.

Also @Redreuben - talk to Roy at TWOC - I know they have brew days on Sundays - he used to use a 3V setup, but that was quite a few years ago, he may well be using a single vessel for them these days. PM me if you want his email addy.

Twoc has got a brew day planned this Sunday starting at 9am, he does both 3v and grainfather.

Back