GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Discussions elsewhere about warranties prompted a question that I think is better suited here.

A common fault in the Guten is some of the electricals, in particular a dodgy switch. Purchasers of these units are apparently buying a replacement switch in advance, just waiting for the original to cark it.

Does replacing this switch yourself, instead of sending in to Kegking for repair, void the warranty?

I would think that is a question that no one here could confidently answer, unless they some quite solid legal knowledge of consumer rights.

Maybe it would be like a new car - you can get it serviced by any mechanic that you want, you don't have to go to the dealership's mechanic, and this will not immediately void your cars warranty.
But if the mechanic doesn't complete the services or any repairs to the standard of the dealership/maker of the car (either by their work being poor quality, or by using crappy aftermarket parts instead of OEM), then the dealership/car maker has a legitimate case for that voiding your warranty on the basis of that.
KegKing would probably be able to make a decision based on whether or not it was replaced with an original switch, or something that was merely similar, and if the issue relating to the warranty claim could conceivably be related to/caused by the self repair of the switch.
But again, that's just me speculating and making an educated guess!

Agreed, nobody here can answer it, I'm hoping brewers throw that question to KK before pulling apart their Guten and causing themselves some trouble. Those brewers can hopefully report back on their experience to help others.
Seeing as this is a known defect I would hope that KK can apply a blanket approach, ie, that this specific switch can be replaced with no negative repercussions

As I mentioned in the 'Robobrew screen of death' thread the only issues with the switch was myself and Leyther, I hardly think that is cause for concern and the switch issue has been already been addressed,
the next consignment will be having the covers over the switch, although that wasn't the issue with mine I think I could be a bit heavy handed causing the spring to shift.
The electrical issues are better left where they were on the "Robobrew screen of death' thread especially reading some of the reviews in America with the G3 Robobrew. More concerns with Robobrew electrical circuitry than the Guten.

I thought there were more than just the two faulty switches.. Maybe not. I'll take a look later today.

As I mentioned in the 'Robobrew screen of death' thread the only issues with the switch was myself and Leyther, I hardly think that is cause for concern and the switch issue has been already been addressed,
the next consignment will be having the covers over the switch, although that wasn't the issue with mine I think I could be a bit heavy handed causing the spring to shift.
The electrical issues are better left where they were on the "Robobrew screen of death' thread especially reading some of the reviews in America with the G3 Robobrew. More concerns with Robobrew electrical circuitry than the Guten.

The switch packing it in is a VERY well known issue with the Guten/Ace/Klarstein/whatever you want to call it. Plenty of talk about it on Euro forums and FB groups, with lots of owners needing replacements. They all seemed to get theirs from the retailers who they bought the unit from. Doesn't seem to be anywhere near as prevalent now, they may have found a more robust switch to install from the get go.

Also, EmptyB has asked a relevant question that certainly does pertain to the Guten. What's your issue? He may have originally thought of it on another thread to do with the RB, but it's certainly relevant for the Guten too.
Why do you always seem to make unnecessary mentions of/crapping on the RB? No one here needs converting, we all know that the Guten is better. Perhaps give it a rest and we can continue discussing the Guten...

The switch packing it in is a VERY well known issue with the Guten/Ace/Klarstein/whatever you want to call it. Plenty of talk about it on Euro forums and FB groups, with lots of owners needing replacements. They all seemed to get theirs from the retailers who they bought the unit from. Doesn't seem to be anywhere near as prevalent now, they may have found a more robust switch to install from the get go.

Also, EmptyB has asked a relevant question that certainly does pertain to the Guten. What's your issue? He may have originally thought of it on another thread to do with the RB, but it's certainly relevant for the Guten too.
Why do you always seem to make unnecessary mentions of/crapping on the RB? No one here needs converting, we all know that the Guten is better. Perhaps give it a rest and we can continue discussing the Guten...
The only switches I am aware of here in Aus are mine and Leythers if you know of more post them in the thread, also there is no point getting the same switch from the retailers, the best option is to get a more robust switch from elsewhere.
The switch issue has been done to death $7.00 for new switches, unplug the fucked ones and plug in the new ones, easy peasy.
I don't think it is unnecessary to mention or crapping on the issues with the G2 Robobrew I have seen the mountain of returns, have you?
Also I didn't mention the downside of the G2, I didn't start the thread 'Robobrew blue screen of death', so why swing it to the Guten thread I know the Guten has superiority over the Robobrews G1,2 & 3 as do the purchasers who have had both the Robobrew and the Guten.
As far as I am concerned if someone wants to make any improvements on their Robobrew or Guten it is up to them.

@goatchop41 You are right, the switch issue is well known and my hardly trained eye looking at the original ones see a potential issue as in lots of electrickery going through not so good quality switches.

@EmptyB You too are right - Don't mess with in warranty items and expect your warranty to still be valid.

Also if you're not a licensed electrician you probably shouldn't be messing with switches at all - legally.

People really get polarized here and well I think that's the wrong approach.

I would never suggest anyone mess around with in warranty products - chase the supplier to fix any issues.
Having said that I do have a couple of switches of far better quality if I need them after warranty is done on my Guten.
And then the modifications will start too. I already have a few in mind.

For future reference... Can you post some info/links to these superior switches?
I got mine and Leythers from Jaycar a single rocker switch take the sides off each switch glue together and fit. Or you can look around for a double rocker switch.

The thing about warranty (which is different to guarantee) is the unit has to be sent back to the manufacturer, deemed as the wholesaler on imported goods, at the buyers expense, repair carried out, at cost, and sent back at buyers expense. for the sake of $7.00 is it worth it. I don't know if KK would do that but that is all they are required to do, though I would be surprised if they did in the purely in the interest of PR. Guarantee is at the sellers expense.
Also having a manufacturers warranty, gives some piece of mind as the manufacturer doesn't want units being returned, its in their own interest to make sure that the units are going to outlive their warranty.

I would think that is a question that no one here could confidently answer, unless they some quite solid legal knowledge of consumer rights.

Maybe it would be like a new car - you can get it serviced by any mechanic that you want, you don't have to go to the dealership's mechanic, and this will not immediately void your cars warranty.
But if the mechanic doesn't complete the services or any repairs to the standard of the dealership/maker of the car (either by their work being poor quality, or by using crappy aftermarket parts instead of OEM), then the dealership/car maker has a legitimate case for that voiding your warranty on the basis of that.
KegKing would probably be able to make a decision based on whether or not it was replaced with an original switch, or something that was merely similar, and if the issue relating to the warranty claim could conceivably be related to/caused by the self repair of the switch.
But again, that's just me speculating and making an educated guess!

Replacing the switch yourself would be more like you servicing your new car yourself, correctly with genuine parts, but you not being a mechanic. Void warranty.

I got mine and Leythers from Jaycar a single rocker switch take the sides off each switch glue together and fit. Or you can look around for a double rocker switch.

The thing about warranty (which is different to guarantee) is the unit has to be sent back to the manufacturer, deemed as the wholesaler on imported goods, at the buyers expense, repair carried out, at cost, and sent back at buyers expense. for the sake of $7.00 is it worth it. I don't know if KK would do that but that is all they are required to do, though I would be surprised if they did in the purely in the interest of PR. Guarantee is at the sellers expense.
Also having a manufacturers warranty, gives some piece of mind as the manufacturer doesn't want units being returned, its in their own interest to make sure that the units are going to outlive their warranty.
It's not a question of whether or not KK would do it though. You're avoiding my question again by droning on about the differences in warranty vs guarantee. Thankfully others have taken to answering the simple question, which is, will in-warranty Gutens have their KegKing warranties voided if brewers follow your repair instructions - and it seems that they will.

I also can't find any copy of Keg King's warranty policy, which is a bit weird

The thing about warranty (which is different to guarantee) is the unit has to be sent back to the manufacturer, deemed as the wholesaler on imported goods, at the buyers expense, repair carried out, at cost, and sent back at buyers expense.

This isn't actually true. In Australia it is the retailer that is responsible for warranty. As a consumer you only need to return the goods to the retailer and if the then the retailer has the option to return it to the manufacturer at their expense, or have the goods repaired, replace the goods or offer a refund.

This isn't actually true. In Australia it is the retailer that is responsible for warranty. As a consumer you only need to return the goods to the retailer and if the then the retailer has the option to return it to the manufacturer at their expense, or have the goods repaired, replace the goods or offer a refund.
I didn't think the Guten went through any retailers, I was under the impression that the only option was to buy was from KK? Is that not the case? If the Guten was purchased from a retailer then it goes back to the place of purchase.
It's not a question of whether or not KK would do it though. You're avoiding my question again by droning on about the differences in warranty vs guarantee. Thankfully others have taken to answering the simple question, which is, will in-warranty Gutens have their KegKing warranties voided if brewers follow your repair instructions - and it seems that they will.

I also can't find any copy of Keg King's warranty policy, which is a bit weird
As I said before get in touch with KK get it in writing what the warranty is. Also you could ask them the hypothetical question about the switch, they are the ones who make the policies no one else can answer for them. As for me giving instructions about carrying out repairs themselves which post is that in? It is entirely up to the purchaser whether they carry out repairs, if they believe they are not capable then it is best they don't do it.

As I said before get in touch with KK get it in writing what the warranty is
Yup, you already said that, and I already answered;
Agreed, nobody here can answer it, I'm hoping brewers throw that question to KK before pulling apart their Guten and causing themselves some trouble. Those brewers can hopefully report back on their experience to help others.
Seeing as this is a known defect I would hope that KK can apply a blanket approach, ie, that this specific switch can be replaced with no negative repercussions

As for me giving instructions about carrying out repairs themselves which post is that in?
"Instructions" is a strong word to use here, you've discussed replacing the switch with Leyther earler in this very thread.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/guten.94389/page-31
Also here you discuss replacing the switch and placing it elsewhere on the unit
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/robobrew-v3-vs-guten.99025/#post-1517398
When I replaced my switch ($7)
I put the pump switch to the front, hell of a lot better.

Again, all of this is fine, but you should be clarifying the implications of doing this work on an in-warranty unit, and if you don't know those implications, clarify that instead.
KegKing might as well be slipping you some dollars under the table for all the pro-Guten and anti-Robobrew crap you post, so people will inevitably see you as a Guten expert and follow your lead on fixing these issues, so make sure to make these points clear.

Last edited:
Then it seems we both sound like a broken record. I've clarified this repeatedly.

Customers buying a new Guten may read your comments re self-repair and take it upon themselves to do the same if they encounter this defect. You never mentioned warranty status in your posts, and in fact you discussed self-repair amongst discussion re new Gutens, so it needs to be clarified that doing so would void the warranty of the unit.

I can't understand why you are so worried about anyone who may have bought a Guten, or are in the process of getting one, if you have any questions direct them to KK.

I'm worried about people accidentally voiding their warranties, it's really not that difficult to comprehend.

Back