GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take it to a plumber and get them to flare the ends. Flaring tools don't cost that much either.

i was worried stainless may not flare well like the soft copper. i have ordered the fittings nosco posted, they are the same price as reece charged me for one flare fitting

Here's 47.6L boil in the 50L GUTEN, got a 40l batch. Required 2 hands to manage the hot break :)

My beersmith xml hitting efficiency and volume; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-0ki1rn1kBBRvHsTsTYiibci4n00PAbn/view?usp=sharing

Used the volume markings on the tun for measurement, seems close enough for me, perhaps its improved since the older versions.

Used a hop spider and didn't bother with any hop filter, the tap is complete shit, I need to replace it.

Overall, happy with the first brew.

Last edited:
Hard to close, to the point of flexing the skin to get it to stop dribbling. Cheap to replace with a nice tap anyway, no real feels about it.

Hard to close, to the point of flexing the skin to get it to stop dribbling. Cheap to replace with a nice tap anyway, no real feels about it.

I find the tap fine on the 30L it has a lock mechanism on it that you need to pull up the clip thing before turning, assume the 50L is the same.

Im pretty sure these are the ones I got. They were in my order history and I dont know why else I would get that size. They have weird naming in Alixpress. One of mine has a hairline crack in it which drips water which doesnt really matter as it hangs over the side. Im not sure if thats due to the quality of the fittngs or because I over tightened it. I didnt use plumbers tape when fitting them which might have made the difference. You fit them like this. Dont expect super fast chilling times with this chiller.

PS they are 3/8 so double check the size used for your chiller.

Thanks very much, I finally got mine delivered and fixed to the pipe. I added some Teflon tape with in the fitting in the hope it would clot any small leak and it worked a treat. I just need to improve my hose fitting and it will be perfect

Put a brew on today (LCPA Clone). 5.2kg Grain, chose the Beersmith BIAB Medium body setting. 31.1L water into machine which means you cant put the top on the mash tun but was ok just used the original filter out the top of the drain pipe. Beersmith predicted 27.94L pre boil and 10.927 plato, actual was 28L and 11.2 which is as close as I've managed to get it so far so all looking good. 60min boil, 10min mash out, used a hop basket today as I'm trying to get clearer beer as most of mine seem to be cloudy (I dont gelatine). Post boil, Beersmith estimated 26.05L I got 22.5!!! This was boiling at 2200W, big difference, has anyone else found this? thats giving me a boil off rate of ~5L/hour which is way higher than the 2.9L I had set. Post boil gravity was a little out but closer than usual, BS predicted 12.148, actual was 12.4.

Had a mare with the helix today as well, I assumed given I'd used a hop basket it would drain fine, it would hardly drain anything at all as was tons of break present, I think the hops directly in the boil might make it easier to drain as they clump with the break, I must admit initially I forgot to whirlpool but even after I did it was the same, ended up using a syphon and needed to add extra 2L of water to get the fermentor volume.

I had the Guten set at 68% brewhouse efficiency but based on todays brewing its beersmith calculates 62%, whats everyone else using for this?

Everytime I think I'm getting these settings better and closer I seem to go wrong somewhere, starting to peeve me now.

Tried something different today.
I usually don’t let wort flow down the overflow tube, so thought I’d just get rid of it.
I joined the top and bottom plates together, sort of a double bottom for the malt pipe. Thinking that now I can stir the mash, if any small particles go through the first plate then the second will catch them.
Worked pretty well and had nice flow though the grain bed. Overshot my estimated pre boil gravity by three points. Beersmith worked out 77% brewhouse effiency.

Attachments

• 55BBD0B8-CC87-4E61-B6ED-2A9BCBE52CB8.jpeg
    55BBD0B8-CC87-4E61-B6ED-2A9BCBE52CB8.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 258
That's not a bad idea especially if you're doing full volume no sparge as you can't get the top plate on anyway with something like 30l of water, 77% is way different from what I got, did you sparge?

Put a brew on today (LCPA Clone). 5.2kg Grain, chose the Beersmith BIAB Medium body setting. 31.1L water into machine which means you cant put the top on the mash tun but was ok just used the original filter out the top of the drain pipe. Beersmith predicted 27.94L pre boil and 10.927 plato, actual was 28L and 11.2 which is as close as I've managed to get it so far so all looking good. 60min boil, 10min mash out, used a hop basket today as I'm trying to get clearer beer as most of mine seem to be cloudy (I dont gelatine). Post boil, Beersmith estimated 26.05L I got 22.5!!! This was boiling at 2200W, big difference, has anyone else found this? thats giving me a boil off rate of ~5L/hour which is way higher than the 2.9L I had set. Post boil gravity was a little out but closer than usual, BS predicted 12.148, actual was 12.4.

Had a mare with the helix today as well, I assumed given I'd used a hop basket it would drain fine, it would hardly drain anything at all as was tons of break present, I think the hops directly in the boil might make it easier to drain as they clump with the break, I must admit initially I forgot to whirlpool but even after I did it was the same, ended up using a syphon and needed to add extra 2L of water to get the fermentor volume.

I had the Guten set at 68% brewhouse efficiency but based on todays brewing its beersmith calculates 62%, whats everyone else using for this?

Everytime I think I'm getting these settings better and closer I seem to go wrong somewhere, starting to peeve me now.
Leyther I lose about 6.5 litres on a 90 minute boil, that is with the hood on and it does boil pretty fiercely. What was your grain bill, I ask out of interest of the helix, I have had mine stuck twice both times when there is flaked corn in the mix so I put it down to gluten but I did a stout the other day with a lot of oatmeal and it was fine.

That's not a bad idea especially if you're doing full volume no sparge as you can't get the top plate on anyway with something like 30l of water, 77% is way different from what I got, did you sparge?
Yeah, sparged 10 litres very gently.

Leyther I lose about 6.5 litres on a 90 minute boil, that is with the hood on and it does boil pretty fiercely. What was your grain bill, I ask out of interest of the helix, I have had mine stuck twice both times when there is flaked corn in the mix so I put it down to gluten but I did a stout the other day with a lot of oatmeal and it was fine.
3.6kg golden promise
1kg Munich
270g each of wheat and carapils

So nothing out of the ordinary, I did notice there was a lot of hot break but the helix clogged almost instantly it stopped running before 0.5l was out

Maybe it's just the week of stuck mash/sparge as I had one also, a beer I have brewed many times. Mine was easily fixed with a good stir - ironically it's the first time I added some rice hulls, not that I would normally.

Back