GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at my profile for the 50lt version and I have my dead space set to 8.9lt and like you I thought it was too much, but that's what I measured to the bottom of the screen. I also use 1lt tun loss.

I just looked at my profile for the 50lt version and I have my dead space set to 8.9lt and like you I thought it was too much, but that's what I measured to the bottom of the screen. I also use 1lt tun loss.
Been meaning to ask a 50lt owner: what is the power hook up and element setup for the bigger unit?

cheers
MJ

Been meaning to ask a 50lt owner: what is the power hook up and element setup for the bigger unit?

cheers
MJ
If you mean what mains plug it's a 10amp plug ( but the max power 3000W will exceed that) however for me I set the power lower on the program so never been a problem.

There is only a single heater switch so I assume its a single element but it's all automated in its switching on off

Does anyone have the guten provided chiller? If so how did you fix hose fittings to them?

There was nothing at Bunnings (the stainless tube is too small) so went to Reece plumbing and they sold me a compression fitting but I can't flair the stainless, it seems too tough.

Thanks nosco, sorry to be a pain but do you know the name of what I should be searching for?

Does it fit inside the tube and flair as you tighten it up?

Im pretty sure these are the ones I got. They were in my order history and I dont know why else I would get that size. They have weird naming in Alixpress. One of mine has a hairline crack in it which drips water which doesnt really matter as it hangs over the side. Im not sure if thats due to the quality of the fittngs or because I over tightened it. I didnt use plumbers tape when fitting them which might have made the difference. You fit them like this. Dont expect super fast chilling times with this chiller.

PS they are 3/8 so double check the size used for your chiller.

Last edited:
I put camlock fittings on mine. Probably over kill on a cheap unit like this but hey.
IMG_20180113_155047.jpg

No idea what it is. I comes off with citric so im guessing some kind of scale (is that the right word?) but i didn't think it would develope that quick. I give ot a scrub with a scrunby tonight and let it dry. Then ill use citric to see the difference.
Reply a bit late but anyhow, I get the same pattern on the base of a Grainfather sparge water urn and I have only ever used it to heat/boil filtered water

It could be in the water then. Its strange that it is in the same area that the crap sticks to after a brew. It hasnt re-appeared after the last brew but it will be back Im sure.

I put camlock fittings on mine. Probably over kill on a cheap unit like this but hey. View attachment 111057
Thanks mate this is exactly what I was looking for. I will put cheap hose fittings on it to try and knock some of the heat out of it then use my plate chiller.

The pump does not seem happy trying to push through the chiller when it's so hot

Thanks mate this is exactly what I was looking for. I will put cheap hose fittings on it to try and knock some of the heat out of it then use my plate chiller.

The pump does not seem happy trying to push through the chiller when it's so hot
I got mine from Bunnings but it took a couple of different fittings, I'm not home at moment but can post a pic tomorrow

I just used some clear pvc tubing I had laying around and attached it with hose clamps and put some standard hose fittings on the ends. I then water the lawn with the water, which is coming from my tank.

To improve the cooling efficiency I give it a gentle stir with a sanitised spoon to keep the hot stuff moving across the SS tubing.

I basically took it down to Bunnings and with a fella there we worked out the various different connectors required to get it to fit a garden hose

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_105824110-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20180114_105824110-768x1024.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 187
Did you have to braze/solder it? I can't do that so need to sick with compression style fittings. I did ask the guy at bunnings and he said too small go to Reece, even they were stumped. Any every person I showed asked what the hell is that, it it for a still..... Relax mate it's for home brew

No not at all, they all just screw together, i just put ptfe tape on and tightened them up

No not at all, they all just screw together, i just put ptfe tape on and tightened them up
yours must be different to mine as mine is just a pipe with nothing to screw to. looking in your photo it looks like there is something soldered to the pipe where you have then screwed the brass fitting onto

Yes it definitely has a thread, odd that they would sell something that needs welding

Latest posts

Back