GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably would do the job very nicely. That would be manual control Im guessing?

The Smartpid has all the bells and whistles though. PID temp control, pump control (although I usually leave it on during the mash), step mashing, mobile phone control, hop timer,web interface and a future improved web interface with recipe input.

Luckily for me they are sold out :D I was about to buy one even though I kept telling myself I dont really need one. The Guten is doing every thing I need it to for now. Ive done a few step mashes on lagers that have worked well. Theres plenty of other things I need to be concentrating on. Like cleaning the brewery/garage. So much crap in the way of my brewdays. I should wait to see what MP comes up with too.

Edit: Id need help to wire up a regular PID which was another bonus of the Smartpid.

Last edited:
So erm....what was that i said. "Dont really need it blah blah Guten does what i need it to blah blah blah". So they are back in stock. Dam you easy internet shopping [emoji6]

What I noticed with my guten controller was, like others have mentioned, during the steps, especially the boil, the timer stops when the temp drops. Luckily i was using my phone timer also. By the 60min actual boil time the guten was only reading 54min. Not a deal breaker but I just have to be aware. Next brew will just be full manual

To counteract this, you just need to play around with adjusting the temp reading (instructions on how to do so should have come with your unit)

Hey! Managed to get rid of that restrictive unserviceable ball valve with a shiny ss one. Turns out a 15mm Snaplid Clip fits the hex part of the ss ball valve perfectly to support it. Drilled a hole and ran soft washers both sides and a nut w/ a washer. The bottom I replaced with a heavier duty jubilee clip (hose clamp). Time will tell if the bottom will hold up - it's double the weight! In which case I'll just weld it up.

Attachments

• IMG_20171111_000610.jpg
    IMG_20171111_000610.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20171111_000508.jpg
    IMG_20171111_000508.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20171111_000449.jpg
    IMG_20171111_000449.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20171111_002134.jpg
    IMG_20171111_002134.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
I wonder if we could buy those little mag drive pumps directly from them, did you notice if there is a manufacturers name on them Magical?

Didn't see but there is a serial number: 201609062

The current pump is a mag drive type, just smaller baby version of a chugger. It's a reliable design which I don't see failing anytime soon (under normal usage) and seems quite capable provided you don't send chunks through it

Attachments

• IMG_20171111_004240.jpg
    IMG_20171111_004240.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Actually tbh I have tried to intentionally break it by running it non stop during a boil in numerous brews. To my dismay it keeps going with no evidence of internal scoring (from heated plastic)

Does anyones temp sit higher than the setting? I find fine was always on temp or higher ( on the display) I never measured itView attachment 109716

Yes. The position of the sensor causes some discrepancy as the water directly above the heating element reads slightly higher. Try running the pump or stirring during strike and your temps will match the controller. I would recommend getting a temperature pen or something because the Guten isn't exactly known for accuracy! Calibration can be done using the + and - buttons pressed simultaneously to adjust (if it's off, but only verified by a calibrated source)

Yes. The position of the sensor causes some discrepancy as the water directly above the heating element reads slightly higher. Try running the pump or stirring during strike and your temps will match the controller. I would recommend getting a temperature pen or something because the Guten isn't exactly known for accuracy! Calibration can be done using the + and - buttons pressed simultaneously to adjust (if it's off, but only verified by a calibrated source)
Oh I should have said that was in mash with the pump running. I agree I should get a temp reading to calibrate it

Oh I should have said that was in mash with the pump running. I agree I should get a temp reading to calibrate it

Oh right. I find mash temp being overshot often times for me was caused by the element kicking on and off. Insulating the mash tun, running lower wattage (less duty), and recirculating fairly- not too quick- keeps it steady. If you've gotten over the shiny stainless, wrap it in cardboard and/or insulating material. I can keep a steady temp for 20-25 minutes with heat off!

So looks like after filling it to the top and tuning it, it seems to work alright. Turns off 5 degrees freedom units before the set mark and just lets it rise to where it needs to be (within half a degree F). I tried putting in settings I found on the information super highway initially but the overshoot was a bit much. I opted for the automatic tune function and seems to work okay. This took a couple hours though because the cardboard/foam kept the temperature from dropping. I'll do another one down the road with a brew session.

In the mean time I'm sourcing parts for a sparge pipe that runs over the top of the mash that will work with the pump mod I did.

So after a bit of bs that was my own fault i finally installed a Smartpid into my Guten. I just have to learn how to use it now[emoji2]

So after a bit of bs that was my own fault i finally installed a Smartpid into my Guten. I just have to learn how to use it now[emoji2]

After looking at the parameters and interface, it seems they have a little way to go as far as user interface goes. Let us know how you get on with it, seems like a nice bit of kit

Back