GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Beer Smith has done it again. Im brewing a pils and I am about 3lt over estimated pre boil! BS is giving me the shits so far.

Edit:I have been weighing my water. So they should be spot on.
Make yourself a measuring stick nosco every 2 cm is 2 litres my 10 litre mark is just below 10 cm depending on your wattage you can work out your boil off rate, grain absorption is about 1.1 litres / kilo I actually use Brewers friend and it comes in pretty close on everything, even though it is still set to the BM calcs.

i just got a quote for the 50Lt version,
50Lt brewery $328 usd
chiller $48 usd
Hop spider $ 20 usd
delivery to melb $243 usd

seems like they have gone up a bit, using XE for exchange rate that's about $743 aud delivered

Last edited:
Bulk buy would be the way to go, $189 US each 170 per container. Other than that try a bit of haggling, they are putting the price up close to what a importer / wholesaler would charge so still so still well under a retail price.

what have others paid delivered for the 50Lt? so i know what to aim for (granted even if its gone up a bit I'll most likely get one, just have the feeling they are putting up prices to get a feel for how high they can go before people shy away)

what have others paid delivered for the 50Lt? so i know what to aim for (granted even if its gone up a bit I'll most likely get one, just have the feeling they are putting up prices to get a feel for how high they can go before people shy away)

I paid $685 delivered with the hop spider which i will probably never use, plus $200 for a 15amp power point. No chiller as i no chill.

thanks Niffy, i think what you paid sounds about right.... given the current increase i am considering passing or going for the smaller size or a robobrew. Dam shame because i think they would have done really well if they held their price.

I have asked if their prices have gone up and hopefully they can trend downwards otherwise i might pass

Make yourself a measuring stick nosco every 2 cm is 2 litres my 10 litre mark is just below 10 cm depending on your wattage you can work out your boil off rate, grain absorption is about 1.1 litres / kilo I actually use Brewers friend and it comes in pretty close on everything, even though it is still set to the BM calcs.

I have a stainless ruler so I can measure the volumes pretty accurately. Its the pre boil volumes that are the problem. Ive set the grain absorption to .8, the same as the GF so ill see if that helps. Its a bit hard to measure volumes while your sparging too. I cant really see if Im getting over volume.

So Beer Smith has done it again. Im brewing a pils and I am about 3lt over estimated pre boil! BS is giving me the shits so far.

Edit:I have been weighing my water. So they should be spot on.

The same happened to me yesterday nosco.

Pre-boil aim was about 26.5L @ 1.045, I came out at 29L of 1.041 (gravity actually may have been accurate if the volumes had come out right, as online calcs told me that boiling down from 29L to 26.5L would have given me 1.045), so I just decided to boil longer (2 hours instead of 1) to account for it.
Unfortunately my boil off was more than expected (I had said about 2L/hr) and ended up with 22.5L post boil instead of 23.5L. Ended up with 2.6L left in the kettle after draining too, and I had only planned for 1.5L based on previous experience with my BIAB setup (had the helix, but lost suction once the wort drained to the level of the valve :mad:).

Does a 3L/hr boil off at 2100W sound similar to what others are getting? I might drop it down to 2000W for the boil next time

My 7k would have been fine I think if it wasnt for the extra mash volume. The same think happened the next day with a 4.5kg pils. Both roughly 2hr boil @ 1900W. I might up it to 2000W. 1900W is not quite cutting it. I was checking gravity every 10 min or so.. In between learning beer smith and inconsistent brews (some have turned out as planned) I havnt really worked out my boil off rate.

Hey Lads,

I've got 3 of the 30ltr Guten's left to sell. Hit me up if you want one.

Cheers,

Rob

Has anyone been able to get a filter working so the pump can be used for a cf chiller or even just pumping out?

The alternative might be to use the helix and pump from the tap then silicone hose back into the top while using a cf chiller. How do those KK mag drive pumps handle a bit of debris if it got through?

I've been messing around

Attachments

• IMG_20171017_210603.jpg
    IMG_20171017_210603.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 260
How did you plug the original pump outlet?

Extended one lead to the switch. May have to redo another lead coming from element to switch since it seems a bit stretched from turning the kettle (to line up with where the malt pipe used to be). Check out my Instagram I have a video of it on there running.

Waiting for an SSVR, rheostat, and some heatsinks from Auber in the states to work with an SSR and PID controller I picked up from inkbird brand to replace the control panel too. I'll do a whole video on it later.

Attachments

• IMG_20171017_210638.jpg
    IMG_20171017_210638.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20171017_213842.jpg
    IMG_20171017_213842.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20171015_210959.jpg
    IMG_20171015_210959.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 216
Finally had a chance to brew tonight, first time in five years!! Hit my pre and post boil gravity bang on so super happy!

Attachments

• 8CB03ECA-763D-4B86-9477-6E0B3B64EAA0.jpeg
    8CB03ECA-763D-4B86-9477-6E0B3B64EAA0.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 64B05235-1CE4-4C41-A315-85DE1AF1BA9C.jpeg
    64B05235-1CE4-4C41-A315-85DE1AF1BA9C.jpeg
    663 KB · Views: 158
Yeah, I use Beersmith. Here’s a shot of my equipment profile, maybe of use.
Before brewing, I did a test boil to calculate the boil off at 1800 watts.

Attachments

• 8B89CFAA-F2D8-470C-93AD-509C4FF6535C.jpeg
    8B89CFAA-F2D8-470C-93AD-509C4FF6535C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 609
Your boil off rate is much higher than most I've seen, usually set ~1.9 but I think yours is probably closer to what I have been seeing, I usually end up with high gravity and low volume so end up adding water later, will give it a go at 2.9 next brew.

Guten arrived woo hoo.

Not sure it matters but for anyone buying here are the details:

Placed the order on Oct 12th (7am AU time via paypal)
$396USD for the 52Lt brewery, hop spider and chiller
$224.10USD for delivery and 6% paypal charge

I used my credit card that does not charge conversion fees @1.292832 AUD to 1USD
delivered 23/10 (so 8 work days)

packed well, slight dint but nothing too bad (too hard to capture on the phone camera) and a slight crack in the controller plastic (dont think it will effect it)

looking forward to using it, once i set it up in beersmith.

its ohhh so shiny

Attachments

• brewery2.png
    brewery2.png
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 198
  • brewery.png
    brewery.png
    689.1 KB · Views: 210
  • crack.png
    crack.png
    257.8 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Guten arrived woo hoo.

Not sure it matters but for anyone buying here are the details:

Placed the order on Oct 12th (7am AU time via paypal)
$396USD for the 52Lt brewery, hop spider and chiller
$224.10USD for delivery and 6% paypal charge

I used my credit card that does not charge conversion fees @1.292832 AUD to 1USD
delivered 23/10 (so 8 work days)

packed well, slight dint but nothing too bad (too hard to capture on the phone camera) and a slight crack in the controller plastic (dont think it will effect it)

looking forward to using it, once i set it up in brewsmith.

its ohhh so shiny
Looks a beauty, what of power requirements on the 52?

Latest posts

Back