GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your boil off rate is much higher than most I've seen, usually set ~1.9 but I think yours is probably closer to what I have been seeing, I usually end up with high gravity and low volume so end up adding water later, will give it a go at 2.9 next brew.

Yeah, give it a go. What wattage do you boil at?

Does anyone have the 52Lt Guten with a beersmith profile (to use as a starting point)? I assume the dead space etc are different to the 30Lt version.

Might try a simple APA this weekend to get a feeling for the system. Its totally different to what i am used to (3 vessel herms).
Hopefully smaller volumes give greater control and allow more variety in my brewing (~25Lt batches to start with) added to a quicker clean up.

I ripped out the old controller and box for a PID, SSR, and SSVR. No reason really. The original controller works just fine. Just felt the need to rip it apart.

The PID is a Inkbird brand and the SSR/SSVR is from Auber. I'll post up the schematic after I get it working good.

The elements will be wired in parallel with a possible switch (still deciding). I found a neat way to mount the solid state relays but I need to borrow a Dremel.

Attachments

• IMG_20171026_215922.jpg
    IMG_20171026_215922.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 167
I noticed SmartPid are selling a neat looking conversion kit. Keen to see how your mod turns out.

So the first brew with the guten went "ok". The main problem I had was chilling, the pump didn't have the grunt to push through the plate chiller with enough speed. At a guess it took about 40 min. It was a dribble
The boil was a tad soft untill it got half way through ( could hear the relay turning on and off) but otherwise it hit gravity (slightly above due to efficiency 25lt 1.051 at mash effect 83% (whatever than means)efficency aimed for 24lt and 1.048) was supprised with the 8 odd Lts under the mash tun volume. The printed volume marks are about 3 lt out (verified with weight and measuring jug)

All in all a much faster brew day, all cleaned up and packed away when normally it would be the next day. Once I get the chiller fixed up it should be much better.

If anyone knows some hose fixings that fit their stainless chiller that would be helpful

I will set a keg HLT to have the required water at temp in the morning so it's much smoother next time (hopefully saves the guten element for a longer life)

I even had time to measure pH when I would normally be running around mad with my 100lt 3 v system.

All in all, it's looking to be a winner

(Oh and the mash tube is very heavy when full of water+malt so that's will need to be looked at)

Last edited:
My biggest issue is that shitty little filter that attaches to the tap. Clogs up so quickly, going to have to replace it with something else before I smash the bloody thing!

My biggest issue is that shitty little filter that attaches to the tap. Clogs up so quickly, going to have to replace it with something else before I smash the bloody thing!
There is another thread about a helix to replace it. Seems that's the go

Does your boil switch on and off when boiling? Or is it in steady?

So the first brew with the guten went "ok". The main problem I had was chilling, the pump didn't have the grunt to push through the plate chiller with enough speed. At a guess it took about 40 min. It was a dribble
The boil was a tad soft untill it got half way through ( could hear the relay turning on and off) but otherwise it hit gravity (slightly above due to efficiency 25lt 1.051 at mash effect 83% (whatever than means)efficency aimed for 24lt and 1.048) was supprised with the 8 odd Lts under the mash tun volume. The printed volume marks are about 3 lt out (verified with weight and measuring jug)

All in all a much faster brew day, all cleaned up and packed away when normally it would be the next day. Once I get the chiller fixed up it should be much better.

If anyone knows some hose fixings that fit their stainless chiller that would be helpful

I will set a keg HLT to have the required water at temp in the morning so it's much smoother next time (hopefully saves the guten element for a longer life)

I even had time to measure pH when I would normally be running around mad with my 100lt 3 v system.

All in all, it's looking to be a winner

(Oh and the mash tube is very heavy when full of water+malt so that's will need to be looked at)
Great to hear your feedback on the 50l version Gout. Did your experience make you think the full 3000w might be necessary for a good boil if brewing something closer to a 40l batch? I had never thought of the possibility of limiting it to 2400w.

Great to hear your feedback on the 50l version Gout. Did your experience make you think the full 3000w might be necessary for a good boil if brewing something closer to a 40l batch? I had never thought of the possibility of limiting it to 2400w.
I'm not entirely sure as mine was turning the boiler element on and off through the boil. It seems to be enough power to boil the odd 35lt at 2400w. I did run a test at 2600w and it didn't trip the fuse.

I'd like to keep it under its limit to try and ensure a longer life for the element. I was also happy to have the 50lt system even tho I only brewed 25lt as it gave headroom for a stress free brew

There is another thread about a helix to replace it. Seems that's the go

Does your boil switch on and off when boiling? Or is it in steady?
Yeah it will get to the temp you set and turn off power till it drops a degree and kick back on again.

Yeah it will get to the temp you set and turn off power till it drops a degree and kick back on again.
even on boil? eg above 100deg it says boil and it even then switches on and off? (i wish it would just stay on at this temp, then the programmable power output would be very helpfull, otherwise it just changes the duty cycle)

I noticed SmartPid are selling a neat looking conversion kit. Keen to see how your mod turns out.

Have you used one of these SmartPID units? They look good, especially the retro fit one with all the bits make it fit easy.

Nah havnt used one. I looked last night. €129 or something which is about $200au so i doubt i ever will use one.

Nah havnt used one. I looked last night. €129 or something which is about $200au so i doubt i ever will use one.

I was thinking about getting it, then when the guten craps out I'll use it in a new home made single vessel.

What I noticed with my guten controller was, like others have mentioned, during the steps, especially the boil, the timer stops when the temp drops. Luckily i was using my phone timer also. By the 60min actual boil time the guten was only reading 54min. Not a deal breaker but I just have to be aware. Next brew will just be full manual

Someone posted one on FB so ill see what they say. Notice i didnt say never [emoji6]

Have many people tried the manual settings when running it? I haven't tried yet.

Misus and I just signed the paperwork on a new house today so my funds are drying up. But should be able to do one more brew before Xmas. Might try the manual settings for something different.

Have many people tried the manual settings when running it? I haven't tried yet.

Misus and I just signed the paperwork on a new house today so my funds are drying up. But should be able to do one more brew before Xmas. Might try the manual settings for something different.
I have tried the manual settings, English bitter is my choice so doesn't really require a step mash.

Back