grain storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfroes

Reaction score
How do you guys store them?
I have some shelving that I was thinking on using some cheap bunnings storage boxes.
Do anyone do the same? Would anyone know how big would it need to be to hold 25kg-30kg?
The reason being that I don't want to run out before buying the next one. So would have to hold a bit more.
It's a 5 tier shelving with an area of 120cm wide X45cm deep.
I got mine at the moment in big 50l drums that looks like 50l fermenter with rubber seal on top.
I just feel that they are un-stackable and take too much space. My home brewery is more than 50% grain drums because I can't sit them on the shelves.
Looking for some alternative with larger opening where it would be easy to scoop grain out.
Was thinking something more like this for space. https://youtu.be/wzt5hQYx5ac?t=75

Maybe some from the heavy duty range? Or not eve these would be ok?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/montgomery-60l-black-heavy-duty-storage-container-with-clip-lid_p2583880
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezy-storage-bunker-50l-heavy-duty-storage-tub_p2583515
https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-45l-heavy-duty-storage-box_p2583690

Ive got some of those 60l boxes but there's no clips on the lid. It just sits there. I use them to store the christmas tree and clothes the kids have grown out of. I dont think they'd seal well enough for grain.

For grain, I use maxi pails from Bunnings. A 25kg bag fits perfectly in 2 of them.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/maxi-pail-20l-white-plastic-pail-with-lid_p4475875

Probably not what youre after though...

you'll want a good seal, and one that lasts as well. I remember buying a heap of cheap aldi grain bins for my kitchen use, and within a few months found they were full of moths already. The seal was still there but the plastic had warped enough to prevent it sealing properly. You'll have the same issue with mice, rats, cockroaches, moths, anything that wants to get in.

I've just gone 2 x 44 gallon steel drums with a steel lid. I've easily fit 7 bags of grain in there from the bulk buy. Not very portable or stackable, but will get the job done as realistically I only need to fish something out every 2 or 3 weeks.

Retired fermenters are good for grain, they seal well and cost nothing since they have already outlived the useful life for which they were designed.

I use 60 litre wheelie bins, available at Bunnings for $15.00? Or the cheap shop. A 25 kg bag of grain slides in perfectly, I put the grain bag into a green bin liner first as a bit of extra protection. Being on wheels they’re easy to move around in the shed. Spray some surface spray on the bottom before loading to keep bugs away. The bags come with the inner plastic liner and the bin liner adds that little bit more protection from moisture. I usually by 3or4 bags of Ale malt and a bag each of Pils and Wheat when in Adelaide. And I roast my own from Ale malts then into small airtight containers label and stack them in another wheelie bin. Works well for me.
Home roasting! see Barleypop maker.com

I got mine at the moment in big 50l drums that looks like 50l fermenter with rubber seal on top.

Well...since you dont want to use them...can I have them to store my grain in :)

There ******* great for storing grain

A dead fridge is also a good storage local and usually free. Mine came from a mates kegerator for which the compressor had died. Keeps rats/mice/bugs/moisture out and maintains a decent temp stability also (not necessary, but can't hurt). Make sure it is sealed up internally (I duct tape the internal vents) and some moisture absorption stuff like DampRid or similar will ensure the air remains dry.

I also have a 44 gal drum with rubber sealed lid for the stuff that won't fit in my fridge. Well I haven't had that much grain yet, but you never know :(

EDIT - you want something that is relatively air-tight to keep moisture out and if you live where rats can get to it, then you want metal. They chew through plastic like it's butter. Little fu(&^ers

Do you have rats ?
I've got the 60l mini wheelie bins, perfect for 25kg sacks. Put a half dozen in the walk in wardrobe, cause, well ,the rats won't find them in there.
Lying in bed one night heard the sound of rats chewing, sure enough, the buggers ate through the lid ( the thinnest bit). Somehow managed to get the OH to keep them in there, just have set rat traps.
If you've got rats consider a metal container.

I wouldn't use anything that wasn't air tight and insect proof.
60 litre and 30 litre drums for my base malts and those blue ones for spec malts
A bit of plywood in between them helps make them more stackable.

23270349_1579901142067980_1746801545875008682_o.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have rats ?
I've got the 60l mini wheelie bins, perfect for 25kg sacks. Put a half dozen in the walk in wardrobe, cause, well ,the rats won't find them in there.
Lying in bed one night heard the sound of rats chewing, sure enough, the buggers ate through the lid ( the thinnest bit). Somehow managed to get the OH to keep them in there, just have set rat traps.
If you've got rats consider a metal container.
******* rats. Mine are currently eating bicarb soda mixed with grain.

If they don't blow up soon, I'll either break my oath and start using ratsak or get a ******* shotgun.

Cat just looks at where she knows they are.
For hours.

Yes. Make it rat proof. Arseholes.

willow bins.jpg

60L Willow Dome Bins, $16.50 from Bunnings. Been using these for about 8 years now, never had any problems at 3 locations. I have two of them nowadays and another two of the old Masters equivalents that are similar but coloured. Fit a sack perfectly. My spec grains live in Aldi Zip cooler bags inside one of them: Pales / crystals / blacks.

Sprinkle some ratsak pellets nearby and murder the occasional rodent.

Last edited:
******* rats. Mine are currently eating bicarb soda mixed with grain.

If they don't blow up soon, I'll either break my oath and start using ratsak or get a ******* shotgun.

Cat just looks at where she knows they are.
For hours.

Yes. Make it rat proof. Arseholes.
Yep, Rats. They have not got into my grain but I have four room canvas tent I'm selling, bloody huge and well made thing and the rats got into the little bit sticking out of the bag and gave it a chew. Had to reduce the price considerably even though it's been repaired. Shame, it was in perfect condition.

I recently picked up a steel storage box - probably originally for tools - from the local recycling depot. It holds easily 100kg of grain dispersed amongst a few 25kg bags, a couple 10kg bags, and assorted ~1kg bags of spec malt.

You can probably find the same - why not store all your grain in one convenient steel box? Chuck a Damp Rid in there too for shits and gigs.

This appears to be close to you and a good price - https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elt...anised-steel-toolbox-large-2-sizes/1163016451

Stainless steel big W stock pots (19L with glass lid).

Whack some duct tape round the lid to seal it.

I use an old chest freezer, keeps out the mice, bugs etc. I leave the malt in the bags and squeeze the air our then use a cable tie to seal it.
Old chesty will cost you nothing.

I wouldn't use anything that wasn't air tight and insect proof.
60 litre and 30 litre drums for my base malts and those blue ones for spec malts
A bit of plywood in between them helps make them more stackable.
I also use the 60 litre drums for the base malts had them sitting behind my shed for a couple of years unused before I put them to use with the grain storage. My fermentation room is rat and mouse proof so the specialty malts go in there.

Latest posts

Back