grain storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use the 60 litre drums for the base malts had them sitting behind my shed for a couple of years unused before I put them to use with the grain storage. My fermentation room is rat and mouse proof so the specialty malts go in there.
60lt the right size for a 25kg sack of grain?

Yes with some space left over, could kick myself because I did have 4, one of them I put out on a hard rubbish day,another one has compost tea in it but the 2 I have is enough.

I also use 60L storage drums, they're the fermenter style ones and work well. For specialty grains I use the maxi pails, either 5L size or 11L size depending on how much grain I store at a time.

1108DC2E-1ABA-4BFC-92B5-BF3CB20FAB70.png
I was thinking about grabbing one of these

My fermentation room is rat and mouse proof so the specialty malts go in there.

I keep all of mine are in my garage, I can sometimes hear rats in the roof cavity, but they'd have to chew through the gyprock ceiling to get in. They haven't done that, yet.

We had more of them when we had chooks and I used to throw sachets of ratsack up there, but stopped doing that when I found a chewed up sachet outside one day. Don't want my dogs getting into that shit.

My apologizes to the OP here, we are drifting from the subject a little.

I do think grain storage and mice or rats do go together, living in a rural environment I know this only too well. If you guys want to use baits I have found Tomcat very effective. The bait blocks have a hole through them so I use a piece of PVC storm-water pipe, drill a hole each side of the tube. The pipe only needs to be around 250-300ml long, thread a piece of wire through the tube and bait and bent the wire over outside the tube.
Dogs, chickens etc can't get the bait but the mice do, and it does not seem to crumble and spill out the tube.
Knocks the mice out in no time.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOMCAT-U...761410&hash=item2354d2276a:g:nXEAAOSwImRYO6dS

I get it at A.G. stores but usually buy a small bucket of it, more than most of you guys will ever need.

I use 60 litre wheelie bins, available at Bunnings for $15.00? Or the cheap shop.
Hi spog, are these still available I would like to buy some but can't find them on the Bunnings website, keg king use something similar but as of yet can't find them

It's a bit difficult to tell from that photo, but they look as though they have a lever-lock ring that seals the lid back on, much like some large paint cans do.
If that's the case, they would be fine.

Hi spog, are these still available I would like to buy some but can't find them on the Bunnings website, keg king use something similar but as of yet can't find them

I've got a few of these, apparently they are not necessarily a 'catalogue' item, they just turn up a couple times a year as a special. 'n they'll hold a 25kh bag of grain.

1510290119246.jpeg

20ltr buckets just fit half a sack
10 ltr buckets comfortably fit 5kg
I'll have to secure the buckets in a steel vault to keep the flamin' Rats out I suppose..

View attachment 109678
20ltr buckets just fit half a sack
10 ltr buckets comfortably fit 5kg
I'll have to secure the buckets in a steel vault to keep the flamin' Rats out I suppose..
Those buckets were untouched by rats when I was at my olds place, just sitting out in the garage where rats would have been often given how much other shit got chewed through.

I used to use those black Willow bins for base malt grain but it ended up with bloody weevils in it, hence the switch to the fermenter style ones. It all sits in a built in robe in a spare room in my current place.

Latest posts

Back