Going To Fiji

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

I'm Taking the family over in August.Basically a week in Denarua and a week on Treasure island.

This thread got me thinking. I was on castaway about 7 years ago and had to think about what I drank then. Three bottles of Turkey and some lolly water for the girls . Duty free of course. Not to mention a case of coke at Denarua Port milk bar at a steal , price wise.

All the resorts has some sort of kids club but I have found out that they expect you to pick them up for meals,the cheek of them. What happened to dumping them at the start of the trip and picking them up before you leave to come home.

From what I saw when we were there last time the fijians that run the club do an outstanding job keeping them interested in their culture and crafts. They won't want to leave.

MB
Thailand's good for babysitting. The bargirls loved our kids.
Got some pretty weird looks from some Europeans when Dad was having a Franziskaner while the kids were getting lessons on how to pour a beer. Ah Thailand...

Reviving an oldish thread, but since you're heading to Fiji at the end of the year its not too late to chime in....

I'm typing this from Fiji and here is some tips from what we have learned so far-

- Resort pricing is basically the same as AU prices, some even over inflated (like AU$8 for 1.125l Coke :blink: ) If you get transfers to where you are staying, ask the driver to stop at the local supermarket and stock up on mixers and snacks.
- Road rules are loosely interpreted.
- Vonu is a nice Lager. Nice citrus notes and crisp. Almost thought it was supposed to be an APA because of the flavour.
- Fiji Premium is like megaswill, haven't tried the other Gold and Bitter yet but will anyway just to say I have tried them.
- Duty Free shopping rocks.
- Fiji Customs - "Got anything to declare?" > Us - "No" > Fiji Customs - "Ok have a good time. Bye"

Going to try the Kava tonight.

Cheers

Sully

Vonu is your best bet. On tap now in most hotels and bigger restaurants.
As said before, stock up on the way from the airpot to your hotel for the mini bar, a lot cheaper!

From Memory

Fiji Bitter - Light Australian larger not to dissimilar to VB.
Fiji Gold - As above but with a flavor addition of POR
Fiji Export (only found in cans) - As above but with an aroma addition of POR.

I heard of Vonu but it was only starting up when I was there. Buy your local sprits at duty free at the airport. Get your taxi driver to take you to a shoping center in Nandi, pay him some money when you get out and tell him to wait to take you to whear you are going and you will pay him more after that, keeps all the other drivers away from you

Rurik

Awesome, cheers heaps. So far I've got....

Vonu looks to be the best bet for beer
Get meal vouchers
Stock up before we get to the hotel
Duty Free, yay, this'll be the first time I get to do that
Fiji time, mmm, still can't find what you mean by that, but I assume it's going to be funny, for who I don't know :lol:

Fiji time is basically this...

You: "Waiter, can I get a Vonu please..."
Waiter: "Sure Sir"

wait 10 mins.....

You: "Excuse me, I ordered a beer"
Waiter: smiles and gives a polite nod of the head and your beer comes over 5 mins later

that is FIJI TIME.....

things move slower...

it will happen when it happens...

Ahh ok, might order 2 beers at a time then :lol:

Fiji time is basically this...

You: "Waiter, can I get a Vonu please..."
Waiter: "Sure Sir"

wait 10 mins.....

You: "Excuse me, I ordered a beer"
Waiter: smiles and gives a polite nod of the head and your beer comes over 5 mins later

that is FIJI TIME.....

things move slower...

it will happen when it happens...
Fiji time - I really wish the tradies who were building the bungalow next to ours observed it.
They even worked sunday. Seriously WHY?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention "Fiji Time"

Nothing happens in a hurry over here.

Still waiting for a cup of coffee I ordered at breakfast...

+1 for buying duty free spirits & getting the cabbie to stop @ a supermarket to stock up on mixers (softdrink & juice) + nibbles.

I found montieths in several places including at Port Dennerau - funny thing is I just had to keep jumping on the free shuttle bus to go there & avoid the fiji bitter / gold at the resort I was in B)

Forget the Gold, Bitter, Export and Premium - unless you love a really strong extract twang. Tried them all yesterday, to say I have at least, and all I could taste was extract twang.

Was at Danaru Port yesterday and the supermarket had Ashai for Fj$5.70 a stubbie.

Home today.... :D

Hi Sully,
I will be keen to hear how you went with getting coverage or did the resort have a hot spot ?
By the way "Happy Easter"
MB

Hi Sully,
I will be keen to hear how you went with getting coverage or did the resort have a hot spot ?
By the way "Happy Easter"
MB

MB,

Happy Easter to you too :icon_cheers:

We stayed at the Shangri-La in Yanuka. Broadband was complementary so we didn't use mobile service so cannot comment sorry. For contact back to the real world we used Skype.

When we looked into International Roaming, the salesman at Telstra suggested getting a pre-paid sim over there (Vodafone) as it would work out to be cheaper. (That would work only if your phone is unlocked of course). Otherwise, if you want International Roaming you need to activate it 3 days before you leave and it can only be done either over the phone or the internet. We left it a bit late, but in hindsight it was not needed for us anyhow. Skype worked a treat.

Cheers

Sully

Hey Sully,

Thanks for the info . I've missed this for some reason. Anyway I've got about 13 days before we leave for Nadi. Can't wait with the weather the way it is in Melbourne now.

Kids are looking forward to it as is the wife.

Have even organised a day on a charter fishing for GT's. Cant help but trawl ytube for GT casting. On treasure they do boat trips handline fishing that I'll get the kids onto.

Less than two weeks.

MB

Flights booked, accomodation booked, only thing I'm not looking forward to is the 3 odd hour wait between landing in Sydney & deporting for Nadi, with two kids it's surely going to be a testing time.

Flights booked, accomodation booked, only thing I'm not looking forward to is the 3 odd hour wait between landing in Sydney & deporting for Nadi, with two kids it's surely going to be a testing time.

eritrea4130505.jpg

Happy days :party:

Happy days is right. Finished work this morning and am looking forward to flying out to Nadi on Sunday night. Thats going to be fun with a 11.30 flight and two kids under five as well.

A boat trip out from Denarou chasing GT's one day and other trips planned from Treasure island with the kids.

Plenty of beer and duty free gear.

MB

Latest posts

Back