Going To Fiji

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
Am heading off to Fiji in at the end of the year, my google fu has led me to believe that they only brew 3 types of beer over there, Fiji bitter, gold & premium. Was hoping some of the AHB crowd that may have been over there in recent times could point me in the direction of some good watering holes, or if there's some other beers they brew over there I'd like to at least try them. Talking to a neighbour he just said, "stick with the green can, I think it's a Lager" :lol:

Cheers, PW

My visit there, in beery terms, was pretty dismal...

The hotel I stayed at had some "microbrewery" beers - but they must have been extract beers as the twang was pretty intense

Cheers

Well that's not what I wanted to hear :( , I wonder how many PET's I can get in the suitcase :lol:

Did you get a chance to try any of those 3 beers I mentioned? Palatable at all? I'm sure the resort where we'll be staying will have some sort of imported beers on offer, but was hoping to stick with local stuff if I could, and if it's half ok.

Well that's not what I wanted to hear :( , I wonder how many PET's I can get in the suitcase :lol:

Did you get a chance to try any of those 3 beers I mentioned? Palatable at all? I'm sure the resort where we'll be staying will have some sort of imported beers on offer, but was hoping to stick with local stuff if I could, and if it's half ok.

Was there about 12 months ago and drank spirits the whole time... Fiji bitter is supposed to be VB brewed locally (and tastes like it).

Was there about 12 months ago and drank spirits the whole time... Fiji bitter is supposed to be VB brewed locally (and tastes like it).

Oh......

They have any good local spirits MLB?

Oh......

They have any good local spirits MLB?

Nah not really, but luckily Canadian Club was the same price as beer where I was staying (Outrigger). On a positive note, we managed to find a few places that stocked Asahi, so at least there is something drinkable.

So, Fiji has:
- Warm climate
- Friendly people
- Cheap housing
- Laid-back attitude
- Healthy tourism industry
- Complete absence of competition for quality beer

I can feel a business plan coming together right now, just need to convince SWMBO that the kids can get a good education over there. Oh, and that we wouldn't get shot if there's another coup :(

Nah not really, but luckily Canadian Club was the same price as beer where I was staying (Outrigger). On a positive note, we managed to find a few places that stocked Asahi, so at least there is something drinkable.

:lol: That's where we're staying

Is this one of the places that does the full-day Kid Club?

We're going to Fiji next year, and this is our number 1 priority. I'll happily pay exorbitant prices for drinks as long as I get to sleep during the middle of the day around the swimming pool.

So, Fiji has:
- Warm climate
- Friendly people
- Cheap housing
- Laid-back attitude
- Healthy tourism industry
- Complete absence of competition for quality beer

I can feel a business plan coming together right now, just need to convince SWMBO that the kids can get a good education over there. Oh, and that we wouldn't get shot if there's another coup :(

I like the way you think B)

You'll have a blast... the place is awesome. From memory you'll have no trouble finding Asahi and a few other misc beers there.

At least I won't be totally deprived then. Have heard a few good things about that place so glad it was chosen (we're going over for a wedding, no, not mine, don't be stupid :lol: )

i liked the Vonu larger when I was there it's local and money from the sales gose towards saving the turtles.

i liked the Vonu larger when I was there it's local and money from the sales gose towards saving the turtles.

Bonus. Cheers, will write that one down.

Hi Guys,

I'm Taking the family over in August.Basically a week in Denarua and a week on Treasure island.

This thread got me thinking. I was on castaway about 7 years ago and had to think about what I drank then. Three bottles of Turkey and some lolly water for the girls . Duty free of course. Not to mention a case of coke at Denarua Port milk bar at a steal , price wise.

All the resorts has some sort of kids club but I have found out that they expect you to pick them up for meals,the cheek of them. What happened to dumping them at the start of the trip and picking them up before you leave to come home.

From what I saw when we were there last time the fijians that run the club do an outstanding job keeping them interested in their culture and crafts. They won't want to leave.

MB

Pennywise, I just thought of something... before you head over (if you haven't already got it sorted), make sure you line up meal vouchers for the resort. If you don't it will deadset cost you a fortune to eat there (it was the best thing we did).

one word...

VONU!!

nice beer I rekon.. I could swear it uses Nelson Sauvin Hops... or something similar..

When I was there in June, I didnt drink anything else..

Get yourself a bottle of Bounty Over Proof Rum!! Its almost 70% abv!

I got married in Fiji.
If all else fails, find yourself a good kava dealer.
You wont care what you drink after that.

Oh, mind the Fijian Indian cabbies.

Get use to 'Fiji time' -*see kava*

Load up heavy on the duty free, don't know about now, but when we were there, the attitude was 'Bulla - nothing to declare? - ah, what do we fucken care..enjoy your stay!'..

i was in fiji in the 88 coup, fiji bitter was the staple from what i can remember, i did drink a lot of kava and i'll go along with the above post, get used to fiji time..

Pennywise, I just thought of something... before you head over (if you haven't already got it sorted), make sure you line up meal vouchers for the resort. If you don't it will deadset cost you a fortune to eat there (it was the best thing we did).

Thanks man, I'll look into that. I assume we can just ring the resirt and buy them?

one word...

VONU!!

nice beer I rekon.. I could swear it uses Nelson Sauvin Hops... or something similar..

When I was there in June, I didnt drink anything else..

Beauty, will look out for that one, cheers

I got married in Fiji.
If all else fails, find yourself a good kava dealer.
You wont care what you drink after that.

Oh, mind the Fijian Indian cabbies.

Get use to 'Fiji time' -*see kava*

Load up heavy on the duty free, don't know about now, but when we were there, the attitude was 'Bulla - nothing to declare? - ah, what do we fucken care..enjoy your stay!'..

i was in fiji in the 88 coup, fiji bitter was the staple from what i can remember, i did drink a lot of kava and i'll go along with the above post, get used to fiji time..

I'll look into Fiji time and Kava, I know my Samoan mate drinks that stuff when he goes over to visit his relo's

Latest posts

Back