Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it okay to dispose of empty O2 cylinders in the regular household garbage bin?

Mr B said:
Yes, I used one of these. Others appear to have a traditional barbed fitting.

The collar bit is to fix larger than you will probably use oxy/welding hose, so I didnt use it. I got some blue oxygen hose and also food grade clear hose, but the proper oxy hose stinks of rubber.

I havent sprayed to test for small leaks due to the thread, but not too worried as its a short duration use.
What's the food grade stuff made from?

Oxywands were back in stock at CB this morning so I snapped one up and will give it a go on my next batch to go in after the current one is kegged and bottled. Should be a little easier than trying to control a hose.

Rocker1986 said:
Oxywands were back in stock at CB this morning so I snapped one up and will give it a go on my next batch to go in after the current one is kegged and bottled. Should be a little easier than trying to control a hose.
Much easier with the wand, I did one process with the hose only before I rushed out to order a wand and very glad I did.

Did my first brew with the oxy set up last weekend. I wish I'd sprung the extra $10 for the wand over the regular tube. Not inconvenient but but loose with the directions. Also handy to know where that stainless aerator is in a plastic fermenter.
Where's the best place to grab one? Stainless or even general rigid acrylic tubes from?

well my first batch that incorporated oxygen into the process was a german pils. I pitched an estimated 750B cells which was far in excess of the 450B needed. Gave a good 2 minutes of oxygen - the surface had about 3 inches of thick, sticky froth when I was done. I pitched at 9 degrees and kept the temp between 9.2 and 9.5. The Krausen dropped in 4 days and after 48 hours D-rest it was down from 1050 to 1011. So 7 days to FG isn't too bad for a lager.

which lager strain Coodgee? I may need a quick turnaround for the BABBs lager comp in Jan

Liam_snorkel said:
which lager strain Coodgee? I may need a quick turnaround for the BABBs lager comp in Jan

Not sure i should tell you, this one is for the jan babbs comp! Nah wyeast2042 danish lager. I made a 3L starter and stepped up a third of the slurry into another 3L. So 750 billion cells all up

I pitched my Citra pale ale earlier today and used the wand with the O2 tank to inject some into it. This was a lot easier than the stone in the end of the length of hose. This time I dialled back the pressure to just a gentle flow of lots of tiny bubbles, and ran it for about 2 minutes into 19/20C wort, pitched yeast (US-05) and stuck it in the fridge set to 18C.

I won't be home over the weekend so I won't be able to see what the lag time ends up being but I will be back on Monday to take an SG reading and see how fast it has fermented. Hopefully will be pretty close to FG (1.011 predicted). OG is 1.048.

Pitched 1 litre starter (decanted) of coopers yeast into 1.042 wort at 18deg on Tuesday night, 2mins of O2.
Visible activity on Wednesday morning.
Checked gravity on Thursday morning, down to 1.016
This morning (Friday) morning krausen had dropped so cranked the temp to 22. Will check gravity tonight.
I could be drinking this beer by Sunday

I put down a 1035 ale with a litre of decanted WY1272 American Ale II and 2 minutes of oxy on Tuesday and it was still going this morning with a good krausen. It's going a bit slower because I pitched at 18 but my temp probe is sitting no deeper than 2cm in the wort and when the 02 stirred it up it was down to 17 degrees. Then I forgot to press the power button to lock in the 18 degrees setting on my new stc1000 so when I went to check it later it was at 16 degrees (lucky I checked or would have woken up to 0 degree wort). Took a good 24 hours to get back to 18 degrees. should be clean AF though.

Picked up my kit last week from Brewman.
Unfortunately, it's embargoed until Christmas, so it'll be the batch after next which gets the treatment.
Looking forward to not bothering with the drill and paint mixer.

I'm with you Warra my replacement pump is also out of bounds until xmas.

And I'm up and running! Found the overflow pipe from my Grainfather fit snugly over the air stone to weight it down. Gave it a 2 minute burst on an ESB on Tues and it was off and running strongly the next morning. High krausen was subsiding already after 48 hours which is at least 24 hours earlier than I have been getting. Excited to see how this beer will turn out.

image.jpeg

I checked the SG of my pale ale earlier today, would have been about 72 hours after pitching the yeast and it was sitting around 1.025 down from 1.048. Seems a bit slower than I was expecting, but the krausen was noticeably different. Usually I get a reasonably compacted foam with smallish sized bubbles, this time it's got huge bubbles in it. I raised the STC temp to 22C and it was up to about 20C last I looked.

I did have 14 cold bottles of beer in the brewing fridge when the FV first went in there (no other room for them) so that probably didn't help with the temp being able to stay up at 18C during the initial stages. They still felt quite cold today even. I'll have to calibrate the STC probe again too just to make sure it's still reading properly.

The taste was very nice still, even though it's got around 15 points still to drop. Probably only be another day or two to FG though which is still pretty quick.

That's pretty good for dry yeast.it's always going to lag. I think your expectations might have been a bit high to expect it done in 72 hours.

manticle said:
What's the food grade stuff made from?
Sorry Manticle, just saw post.

Dunno exactly, its clear tubing with a string reinforcement inside it. Marked as food grade on the outside.

Was quite lucky, I quizzed the shop people and the fella said the blue oxy stuff all the way, which is fair enough for standard application. I happened to see the clear stuff on another shelf and got a bit 'just in case'.

Lucky I did, as I didnt smell the blue stuff till I got home. Not suitable for purpose at all. Pretty sexy thick hose though.

Latest posts

Back