Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coodgee said:
That's pretty good for dry yeast.it's always going to lag. I think your expectations might have been a bit high to expect it done in 72 hours.
The yeast came from a starter, harvested 2nd generation. In any case, I wasn't expecting it to be finished in 72 hours, but maybe a little closer to FG than it was.

My next brew will be another pale ale with the same malt bill but this time using Wy1272 yeast, so it'll be interesting to compare.

Yeah dry yeast even bigger pitched like 1.5- 2 pkts still takes longer than a nice healthy starter. Still takes my last us05 7-8 days to fg with O2 , used to take 10 to 12 using dried yeast.

Now , I just use a nice big... Starter with my brews and O2 , gets the job done nicely and end products are better.

My last helles took 4 days to fg from 1048 to 1006 at 12 degrees, it amazed me but was so clean and crisp. Was pitched onto a yeast cake I left in my kegmenter from a batch a week earlier of 34/70. Was grain to tap in 12 days, although I pressure transfered through my craft brewer filter to polish it up for family Christmas party yesterday , was a real hit..

I kegged up on Saturday a coopers sparkling ale clone, receipe from Clarke, re cultured up coopers yeast from sparkling ale stubbies, stepped upto a nice 2 ltr starter over 3 days, from 500 ml at 1020 og, to 1 ltr at 1040 to 2 ltr.
Pitched this at 18, O2 for 90 secs, was done in at 1010 at 4 day mark. This yeast is a beast but in the past always took 6-7 days Cc, for 3 days, filtered on Saturday , is bloody perfect. Crisp , clean and trademark coopers taste..

I expect it will be at FG in a couple of days if it keeps fermenting at the rate it has been, which at a guess would be about 10 points every 30 hours or so. That would make it 5 days to hit FG, which is only marginally quicker than it worked with simply dumping the cube in from a height. They've always been done with starters, as I harvest yeast from them, so nothing different there. Anyway I'm not THAT worried about it, as long as the beer tastes good 5 days is fine with me :beerbang:

Well now I'm just confused. My first O2 beer, an ESB, appears to have a stuck ferment. After going nuts in the first 48 hours it has now spent the last 4 days sitting at 1020 despite progressively warming it up to 24 degrees and rousing the yeast.

Golden Promise 73%
Munich 21%
Cara Pale 5%
Cara Aroma 1%
Windsor Dried Yeast x 2 packs

Mashed at 67 degrees for 60 mins
25L batch at OG 1050
Fermented at 18 degrees
Yeast was rehydrated per instructions, pitched at 21 degrees, and then hit with 2.5 mins of O2

What am I missing?

All the obvious things checked?
Accuracy of thermometer, hydrometer, refrac calibrated and adjusted for alcohol, etc?

Temp probe checked against my thermopen, all good. Didn't cross check my mash temp though as my Grainfather has tended to be spot on. Would be surprised if it was out though as I did check at the sparge stage and the mash out was holding at 75 degrees. Also used the hydro instead of refrac for the last couple of readings to get the most accurate read. This has been calibrated with water.

Wow. Ok. Haven't used Windsor before but had a couple of packs leftover from a planned stout that I didn't go ahead with. Going to make for a sweeter beer than I had hoped for.

Edit: have done a quick bit of research on Windsor and Liam looks to be spot on. I'm relieved that this is the cause to be honest as my fervent following of the O2 cult can now continue unabated.

you could probably finish it off with a healthy pitch of US05 or another clean yeast.
How does it taste?

Was just thinking that I could throw in some US-05 or Notto. Bit heavy in the body for mine. Taste wise and to be honest I'm not a great judge of how a beer is going to turn out until it is ready to drink. I'm often surprised when I taste the first glass. Not sure if this is a lack of skill / experience or if my senses are lacking (sinus issues).

Coodgee said:
Rocker if you're in bris i have a nice healthy cake of 1272 i can share
I'm just down the road from Greenslops in Annerley, but I do have a smack pack of 1272 waiting patiently in the fridge. Thanks for the offer though mate!

Slow day at work today so I finally read through the entire thread.

One question that came up and wasn't answered is how long a 136g disposable O2 botle (e.g. from brewman) lasts? Let's not start up the great debate on how much to use - I just want a ballpark figure.

Cheers.

mondestrunken said:
Slow day at work today so I finally read through the entire thread.

One question that came up and wasn't answered is how long a 136g disposable O2 botle (e.g. from brewman) lasts? Let's not start up the great debate on how much to use - I just want a ballpark figure.

Cheers.
I dunno those particular bottles, but I use the Tradeflame 930ml/110L O2 bottles from Bunnings.

And if you want me to put a ballpark figure on how long these last, the closest estimate I can give you is "f-ing ages".

But if you want to get technical the bottle yields 110L, and I'm pushing oxygen out at roughly 2.5-3.0L/min (let's call it 3L/min as an over-estimate). So my average use per batch would be about 2 minutes (between 60-90 seconds in the wort, but also including moving and rinsing the stone with the O2 still flowing, till I get it back into the no-rinse solution that I store the stone in). So theoretically it should last me at least 18 batches.

Thanks kaiserben. Just a question on your response: how do you convert grams of O2 into litres? My puny brain can't even begin to think about how to do that calculation.

Dunno. But I'm sure someone here will know the answer.

EDIT: Tradeflame bottle also says 136g, so looks like it's the same size.

I pitched the yeast into my second batch using O2 yesterday arvo at about 4.15pm. It's an APA brew, OG at 1.051 in 26 litres, pitched with 1272 yeast from a starter. It's now sitting at between 18 and 18.3C or thereabouts. The cube was chilled down to about 20C in the brew fridge after I kegged the previous batch, and oxygen was injected for between 90 seconds and 2 minutes after tipping into the fermenter, and the yeast was then pitched cold into the wort. I checked it about 9.30 this morning and there was no sign of activity but another hour later and it looks like it's beginning to get going, with groups of small bubbles appearing on the surface.

Is this lag time of about 18/19 hours normal for this process and the yeast strain? I seem to remember reading that the lag time might be increased a bit with the added oxygen as the yeast will use it all up first before getting going, so I'm not worried about it and 18/19 hours isn't that long really, but just curious as to what other people have experienced. In the past before I began using O2, when I pitched ale yeast cold into the wort, I noticed lag times about half this time. Thoughts?

Brewman_ said:
Yes dial it back. As Liam_snorkel said, if it is bubbling out your wasting the O2.
As long as you can just see the bubbles on the surface then that is the right rate.
Brewman, after just 6 batches the cylinder is empty! :( I take off the regulator after each time I use it just like you said, but as there were no instructions that came with it I didn't know how much to open the valve. I didn't let it bubble over after the first go but obviously still had it set too high. I read earlier that I should be able to get 50 batches out of a single bottle. Sorry to say but I can't help but feel a bit ripped off. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back