Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MHB said:
Brewman has a pretty good wand in stock.
They are stainless and the hooked end makes them pretty handy.
attachicon.gif
aeration_wand.jpg
Mark
Hi Mark

Wish I have of got that included in my aeration kit from you! Just a question about your air stone, do you play on offering the 0.5 size? Thanks mate!

Mate - I am not a retailer any more, Steve (Brewman) took over some of my business a couple of years ago now.
The Wand is fairly new, so they weren't available when you brought your system.
As to the old 2um V 0.5um debate, well I always recommended the 2um, there is next to no difference between the two in terms of how long it takes to aerate the wort, the size of the bubbles, nor how much O2 you use. The big but being that the 0.5um stones are very easy to block up and very hard to clean. Even just running your thumb over the surface can block it up. The 2um stones can be soaked in steriliser and seem to last a lot longer.

If you want a 0.5um stone or a wand, I would suggest asking Steve or one of the other retailers.
Mark

MHB said:
Mate - I am not a retailer any more, Steve (Brewman) took over some of my business a couple of years ago now.
The Wand is fairly new, so they weren't available when you brought your system.
As to the old 2um V 0.5um debate, well I always recommended the 2um, there is next to no difference between the two in terms of how long it takes to aerate the wort, the size of the bubbles, nor how much O2 you use. The big but being that the 0.5um stones are very easy to block up and very hard to clean. Even just running your thumb over the surface can block it up. The 2um stones can be soaked in steriliser and seem to last a lot longer.

If you want a 0.5um stone or a wand, I would suggest asking Steve or one of the other retailers.
Mark
Thanks for that info. Sorry about the confusion! I had wondered why I was talking to a "Steve" when I did my order. Cheers Mark! Will stick with the 2um stone as provided!

Rocker1986 said:
Thanks mate. I'm waiting for CB to get those oxywands back in stock; in the meantime I just have a stone on the end of a piece of gas line so it's not easy to move it around in the FV.
Hey mate , all I do with my ghetto oxy set up, if you have a long handle mash paddle, I've got a stainless one, small zippy tie stone to end, starsan it all. Then it will keep the stone at the bottom while you can slowly stir it at the same time. Costs me about 2 cents for a zippy but use them at work lol.
Cheers

Coodgee said:
is this serious enough?

attachicon.gif
ox.jpg

This is for those of us who hate running out of gas and/or need to compensate for a tiny dick.

I suppose there is no disadvantage to running plenty of O2 into the wort if you have a large supply? The only negative is wastage?

p.s. thanks to batz for the reg, what a bloody top bloke!
In my research, but I'm sure MHB or someone else with a lot more experience will chime in,

But yes, you can over do it, but you prob will need to purge a fair bit. I just keep it simple, 1.20 secs for ales, 2 mins for lagers whilst slowly stirring . Seems to be working for me and my mates.

Cheers

Coldspace said:
Hey mate , all I do with my ghetto oxy set up, if you have a long handle mash paddle, I've got a stainless one, small zippy tie stone to end, starsan it all. Then it will keep the stone at the bottom while you can slowly stir it at the same time. Costs me about 2 cents for a zippy but use them at work lol.
Cheers
I had seen that suggested somewhere actually, probably on this thread. The stone has no trouble staying on the bottom it's just with the soft, bendy hose it doesn't move much if at all. I do have a stainless mash paddle too so I'll keep it in mind. If CB takes forever to get those things back in stock I might just go with the one Mark linked to above.

Rocker1986 said:
I had seen that suggested somewhere actually, probably on this thread. The stone has no trouble staying on the bottom it's just with the soft, bendy hose it doesn't move much if at all. I do have a stainless mash paddle too so I'll keep it in mind. If CB takes forever to get those things back in stock I might just go with the one Mark linked to above.
You could put it on some gas line - would give a bit of stiffness to move wort around?

probably better to attach it to something like a stainless mash paddle with zip ties than use a 'wand" type tube. It will be harder to clean the tube because you would have to clean the inside as well as the outside. with the mash paddle you just have to clean the outside

There is really no chance of over Oxygenating unless your wort is very cold this table is a bit of an industry standard.
DO.JPG
View attachment Oxygen Solubility 2.pdf
As you can see at Ale pitching temperatures in a 12% wort (1.048) you will only get about 7.4ppm of DO at 20oC. At Lager pitching temperatures (say around 10oC) 9.3ppm.
If you think you may have overdone it a bit, just wait for a couple of minutes and it will fall back to the solubility/partial pressure limits.
Mark

Coodgee said:
probably better to attach it to something like a stainless mash paddle with zip ties than use a 'wand" type tube. It will be harder to clean the tube because you would have to clean the inside as well as the outside. with the mash paddle you just have to clean the outside
You just leave the gas running the whole time. Run it while giving it the clean/sanitise then drop it into the wort for a minute or two then remove it and leave it running while rinsing it all off. This way it stops shit from getting inside the stone/line.

Rocker1986 said:
You just leave the gas running the whole time. Run it while giving it the clean/sanitise then drop it into the wort for a minute or two then remove it and leave it running while rinsing it all off. This way it stops shit from getting inside the stone/line.
I assume you boil the stone before first use then use the above method?

First go with O2, 1 x pack of BRY-97 into a 1:045 wort.

Fully fermented in 5 days. Will wait to see how this one tastes.

technobabble66 said:
Maybe if he's adding a high %-age of sugar, the yeast struggles with a lack of nutrients in the dex, but the trace nutrients of the raw sugar helps prevent their health from deteriorating too much? So maybe the "flavour dex adds" is from the resulting poor yeast health, rather than the dex itself. Just trying to guess what he could be talking about. :)
Techobabble66 has nailed it. When i started out i found my beer had a slight cidery taste and it was probably a combination of the coopers yeast and my process at the time. I could detect the cidery flavour even when i only used 500g. I like to keep my beers around the 5% mark. My process is alot better now and is about to get alot better with the addition of a fermentation fridge.

I used my wand for the first time last night, they are much better than the stone on the end of plastic hose that wants to curl up like a pig's tail and sit on the surface. I keep it in a tube of 18mm polypipe with a plug in one end (Bunnings gardening section) the HEPA filter kind of suspends it there and covers the open end and an elastic band holds the rest of the hose and reg disconnect neatly in one package. I think the wand was the one Rocker had his eye on at CB and I beat him to it, sorry mate.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.hach.com/asset-get.download.jsa%3Fid%3D50544340454&ved=0ahUKEwi7t_mqlMDQAhVHNJQKHVFVAboQFgg3MAU&usg=AFQjCNGaBa9WAeDQBjUBNTVaeYWEyE0lkg&sig2=hk_4K_Zy4HAlqhlDjdMT3w

Does that work? Interesting comment on whatiis basically over-aerating - ie removing aromatic compounds from the wort. I understand this is more prevalent at higher temperatures, but may still be an issue.

This is also a good read. The bit on air bubbles in pipes is why I use vertical hard plumbing, for pump protection too:
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ibdlearningzone.org.uk/article/show/pdf/494/&ved=0ahUKEwj9rvCwlcDQAhVJm5QKHb0JCjUQFgg5MAk&usg=AFQjCNHKwT3_1RUeYkQ5htDJP9rw_qxwEA&sig2=4wR-vS51d0KrOrKXum2uNQ

Too easy mate, glad I could help you out.

Batz

another + for healthy yeast + o2 (in that order)

WLP002 took my pale ale 1.050 pale ale down to Beersmith's expected FG in under 3 days...

I have two batches going with Nottingham.

The first still has krausen after a week and a half, and was pitched without O2.

The second I used O2, and has done and dropped krausen in about three days. Wierded me out when I had a peek, I had to check to see if there was a yeast cake on the bottom..

I assume that oxygen is the factor.

Great to see some success stories coming out, my brews are into another league now I'm using O2 .
Got to still have all other bases covered before going down this pathway.

Cheers

Back