Gerry hates Amazon, so how will it change Home Brew ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jan 14, 2016 - The Federal Court has ordered a Harvey Norman franchisee, Bunavit Pty Ltd (Bunavit), to pay a total of $52,000 in penalties for making false or misleading representations regarding consumer guarantee rights, in proceedings brought by the Australian Competition and Consumer ..

Harvey's complaints may carry more weight if he wasn't such an unconscionable operator.

All good for amazon to do that when they're paying 8 bucks an hr for minimum wage and 3 bucks an hr out of Mexico.

I'd like to see them try that here with anything outside electronically based sales in Australia when it costs $28 minimum an hr to keep a shop assistant fed.

Herein lies the basic problem with the Australian economy.
When I arrived here in the 1970s (having lived in a cardboard box in t'middle of t'road back in the UK) Australia had a car industry and I lived in a town where they manufactured sugar cane harvesters, tractors, a fully fledged goods and passenger train factory down the road in Maryborough. The mill was owned locally as were the breweries. There was even a car plant in Brisbane that made Fairlanes
Clothes and shoes were made locally by bonds, Yakka etc. If you bought a fan, a fridge or a TV it was made locally. With steel from Newcastle.

Now all that has gone. All of it. Our economy nowadays consists of digging stuff out of the ground or mining the topsoil to export low value wheat or sugar, all of which employ fewer and fewer people as they become increasingly roboticised.

The major economic activity is building more and more houses that people can't afford. Then when everyone has moved in, we sell dog washes and imported groceries to each other.

Endeth.

Nailed it.

We are relying on a kind of dodgy pyramid scheme where people trade real estate to each other to make profit instead of investing in real industry.

Sooner or later this ponzi scheme is going to go pop. But as always the mum and dad home owners are going to cop it as they are the ones who are up to their neck trying to pay off a family home because they had to pay 3 times it's worth to outbid the investor wolf pack....

why doesn't gerry invest in few good small brewies.....keep the overseas big buyers away

Batz said:
People are happy to save money by shopping off shore, this affects the wages and jobs of all retail staff. I'm guilty of this.

What happens when employers decide to save a few bucks with 457 visas?
In yesterday's news, the government is thinking again.
www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-02/government-cracking-down-on-457-visas-for-fast-food-workers/8317432

good4whatAlesU said:
Nailed it.

We are relying on a kind of dodgy pyramid scheme where people trade real estate to each other to make profit instead of investing in real industry.

Sooner or later this ponzi scheme is going to go pop. But as always the mum and dad home owners are going to cop it as they are the ones who are up to their neck trying to pay off a family home because they had to pay 3 times it's worth to outbid the investor wolf pack....
Don't forget that the investor "wolf pack" is mostly -as well - ordinary mum and dad property investors.
Negative Gearing and property investment were the big thing from the 1980s onwards, encouraged by the Government as their major retirement policy. With little or no superannuation as we know it today, the obvious way to secure your retirement was to use the equity in your own home - back when most people were home owners - to buy more property and more property, so that when you retire you can sell a house here and there to fund your world trip or pay for your kid's wedding and help them into a house themselves.

However unless the supply side is addressed, there's not a lot that can be done about the situation, it's just as bad in the UK with their "buy to let" market and they don't , and never have had, negative gearing on their properties. The main driver of property prices is (stouter touches on this) our huge population growth, almost third world, due to immigration. Of which I was one of course.

edit; our population growth is tenth out of 240 countries, and most of those are adults who need housing, not babies who won't be in the property market for twenty years.

The forecast is more than 50% of the population will not own their own home as soon as next year, has immigration pushed up the prices? Mum & Dads pushing up the prices with negative gearing? What the Mum and Dads are better off doing is buying a more expensive property, collect the pension and have a reverse mortgage on their own home, having 2 properties will adversely affect the pension, plus the new land tax has now come into effect.

Limit investment properties to one each.

This business (?) of owning 5, 10, 20+ homes is just pure greed. That money should go into business and jobs.

I agree with that, but greed has its own way of eventually coming down on the greedy and the greedy are the first to complain, if for instance if the bubble did burst and the house prices plummeted are the greedies going to drive slowly over the Bolte Bridge because their investments didn't turn out as they had wished. I have no sympathy for anyone who's greed has brought them undone. How many TV shows have been on covering an old couple's retirement plan when they have invested with some shark offering high returns, even taking a second morgage on their homes to finance their greed and it all turns to shit they end up in their old age with no home and no money and no way of recuperating their loses. Tough.

The difference is that this scheme is Government sponsored and they have no intention of doing anything about it.

Both major parties leaders are shit.

I don't accept the housing problem is about supply either. There are heaps of unoccupied houses. Who needs to bother renting when you're getting 10%+ gains a year by doing nothing?

I can buy a nice house in Grafton for under $300.....

Same house in the smoke.....not far of $1m

Who is the idiot

wide eyed and legless said:
I agree with that, but greed has its own way of eventually coming down on the greedy and the greedy are the first to complain, if for instance if the bubble did burst and the house prices plummeted are the greedies going to drive slowly over the Bolte Bridge because their investments didn't turn out as they had wished. I have no sympathy for anyone who's greed has brought them undone. How many TV shows have been on covering an old couple's retirement plan when they have invested with some shark offering high returns, even taking a second morgage on their homes to finance their greed and it all turns to shit they end up in their old age with no home and no money and no way of recuperating their loses. Tough.
Not greed, everyone wants to create wealth as best they can. Knowledge in this space can be an issue, but I reckon the investors you refer to are doing it in good faith unlike someone that intentionally rips others off to further their own means.

I dont think looking to further your own wealth is a bad thing (You might do this simply by working OT etc), and particularly being able to assist your kids set up to a successful future, including being able to provide a good eduction etc, is not driven by greed. Most people need something other than the direct income they receive by working, if they are lucky enough to have enough extra to do so.

Why do we need to be " wealthy '

What is the actual point in it

HBHB said:
All good for amazon to do that when they're paying 8 bucks an hr for minimum wage and 3 bucks an hr out of Mexico.

I'd like to see them try that here with anything outside electronically based sales in Australia when it costs $28 minimum an hr to keep a shop assistant fed.
Minimum wage for a shop assistant in Australia is $18.50

Latest posts

Back