Panhead sell out to lion Nathan.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arctic78

Reaction score
I may be behind with what's going on but I just herd that Panhead sold out to lion Nathan.
I know there are many opinions on these kind of things and also I know if someone offered you a large sum of money for your business it would change your opinion. But I have to say I HATE these multinationals and the power they hold over everyone.
I truly believe they need to be reigned in as it stops people being able to compete and also it gives them the power to set prices of the product and what is on offer. It limits the ability of smaller operators to be competitive in the market, also when they are they pose a threat to the bigger players and they buy them out to gain control of everything again.
Nothing against the owners of panhead I mean how could you turn something down that sets you up for life or at least gives you a comfortable life after so much hard work.
I am well that this is the way things operate ,BUT IT SUCKS.

By the way I am a huge fan of their lola de ville saison.

Now everyone can rip to shreds what I have said LOL

Yeah this is old news, apparently it was a pretty hefty sum of money.
Allegedly it will business as usual but I'm sure that's what they all say.

White Rabbit and Mountain Goat have carried on business as usual, I can't see why Panhead wouldn't

sp0rk said:
White Rabbit and Mountain Goat have carried on business as usual, I can't see why Panhead wouldn't
To an extent, Mountain Goat pulled their IPA and replaced it with a Pale for reasons related to accountants I'm led to believe. White Rabbit really only had two beers afaik, so unless they messed with the recipe, not much change to be had there.

Fraser's BRB said:
To an extent, Mountain Goat pulled their IPA and replaced it with a Pale for reasons related to accountants I'm led to believe. White Rabbit really only had two beers afaik, so unless they messed with the recipe, not much change to be had there.
They both have barrel programs and limited release beers, we don't see the majority of their releases out our way

white rabbit got a sick new brewery. released a 3rd core range and also a sour red ale. a bunch of one-off keg only stuff at the brewery.
MG had been brewing most of their beer at Asahi for years prior so it's business as usual for them.

Beer sales per capita have been going down and excise going up, so the big boys are keen to hold onto market share by snapping up the successful craft breweries.
It's a juggling game by the government too, higher excise means more tax.. but probably less sales..

And back in SA Coopers have been taking market share quicker than most might think...

I think it shows how the beer market has changeg.

The big boys watch the market and have the resources to act fast....they really dont care at the end of the day if the brand gets discraded but kept in limbo

Remember 40-50-60 years ago all the breweries got bought up and the labels kept in a safe

Well....guess what is happening

Went across to Emersons a couple months ago (Dunedin) just bought by LN and it seemed to me they were more keen to sell me a Meal and experience' rather than a beer.

The beer was dear as poison, the building overly flash and the beer just okay.. After spending 20Mil on the place i don't think they want it to fail. But hey if it does, Speights are just around the corner (also owned by LN) and they can use Emerson's as a restaurant for the rugby.

If you look at the bigger picture it means that we will see panhead beers at the places that LN supply to which is a step up from Little Creatures and James Squire offerings in my opinion.

In saying that, I had read that the Australian distributor for Panhead told LN where to go after they tried to squeeze them on the cost of distributing panhead beer, so until they find a new source to deliver the NZ beer, the taps will not be adding Panhead at those locations any time soon.

And for further comment, you say it sucks and you hate it but LN haven't done this to control price or takeover, its call smart business. They know craft beer is on the rise and in order to continue to make profits for the business expanding its port folio of offerings is of best interest.

And, if Feral brewing company had of taken the offer LN offered them then the discussion would be about them, the Panhead team are up $34 million after just 3 years on production.

Pratty1 said:
If you look at the bigger picture it means that we will see panhead beers at the places that LN supply to which is a step up from Little Creatures and James Squire offerings in my opinion.

In saying that, I had read that the Australian distributor for Panhead told LN where to go after they tried to squeeze them on the cost of distributing panhead beer, so until they find a new source to deliver the NZ beer, the taps will not be adding Panhead at those locations any time soon.

And for further comment, you say it sucks and you hate it but LN haven't done this to control price or takeover, its call smart business. They know craft beer is on the rise and in order to continue to make profits for the business expanding its port folio of offerings is of best interest.

And, if Feral brewing company had of taken the offer LN offered them then the discussion would be about them, the Panhead team are up $34 million after just 3 years on production.

Like I said it is how things work. but I think it sucks. just my opinion and an not looking at it from a business perspective.
I also said cant blame panhead for doing it as it is a load of money.
I am looking at it from a different way than you.

Understandable arctic, I guess many don't really like Mitsubishi owning their favourite craft beer.

Possibly better to be like Stone and Wood where they allowed (was it 20% ?) investment in their business by LN but they kept the Lions share (excuse the pun) and overall control.

Or you could go the Young Henrys option and start a craft beer brand from the ground up but with capital backing.

This of course opens the can of worms that is the "what is craft beer" debate. But I put it to you that these guys have walked the fine line between craft and volume/backing, pretty well.

I can see allowing them a smaller share in the business as being a good way to go but I guess my real gripe is how they (bigger companies) have to buy out everything . I am aware this is how business works but I think if we had far fewer large companies and more smaller it would be much better for every one
on many levels. but this is a pipe dream ;-)

Latest posts

Back