Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.
  1. Brewer's Friend is having an open giveaway, ends soon, so enter now!

Click Here to Enter Now!
    Dismiss Notice

FREE: Glycol cooled fermentation chamber

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by squirt in the turns, 13/5/18.

Tags:

1. squirt in the turns

Posted 13/5/18
    Free: cold fermentation chamber. Pump glycol from a reservoir in a freezer through the heat exchanger, to cool the contents of the chamber. Holds 2 x 30L fermenters. It's probably getting dumped if there are no takers. Also offered on GoldCLUB Facebook page.

You get:
    1) A box I built out of plywood and painted with mould resistant paint. It's double walled and insulated with expanding foam and broken up bits of polystyrene. Yes, it's ugly, yes it needs a bit of a clean and a few cracks filled. Suggest using a strap to keep the front on securely.
    2) A heat exchanger (transmission cooler) with vinyl hose and 2 x 12v fans attached to it.
    3) a bucket of glycol coolant mix. It's a bit dirty - I wouldn't suggest putting in your car radiator. Stays liquid down to about -20c.

What you need to add to make it go:
    1) A pump. A cheap aquarium pump from Big W will do the job.
    2) A 12v power supply for the fans.
    3) Temperature controller (e.g. STC-1000). Run the fans and pump from the controller like you would a fridge.
    4) A freezer
    5) A container for the glycol that fits your freezer.

The photo of the fridge is to give you an idea of how I had it set up (holes drilled through the freezer door). Fridge is not included.

Pick up from Palm Beach, QLD.

2. squirt in the turns

Posted 18/5/18
    Just bumping this because it's getting dumped this weekend if no one's interested!