Gage Roads 'sleeping Giant' Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett mccluskey

Reaction score
just picked up a 6e from the local Safeway bottlo. Definitely a step up on their standard ipa.Anybody know when they released this one? The bottlo here takes ages to get new ones in,so it must have been released a while ago.Not a bad IPA at all :D

Nice, thanks for the heads up. I like their IPA so if this is a step up I'll be a happy little boy

They also have a new Atomic pale ale, that is not bad, no quite sure why they havent promoted them, as they spent millions on awful adverts for thier previous larks

I think these are pretty new releases. I only saw them advertised in a Dan Murphy's ad in last weekends Australian Haliday best 100 wines magazine, which also had the top 20 beers. They also had a few other new beers advertised like Stone n wood.
I haven't tried the new Gage beers but I look forward to it.

Tried it tonight and was prepared to be underwhelmed as per ther previous attempts at 'interesting beers'. Lo and behold we have something that stands up !
Nice up front bitterness sadly I had to sip it from a bottle so can't really comment on aroma but it shows much more promise that I expected. I'll definately be buying some for for further appraisal :chug: Thanks for the heads up on the Atomic Pale Sinkas, I'll keep an eye out :)

bought a 6 pack late October and really enjoyed they.
Thinking of trying to make a clone of this and have found out the following

Pouring coppery in colour like an English bitter from crystal malts, the re-styled India pale ale is pleasantly grassy with earthy background on the nose, due to dry-hopping. East Kent Goldings and NZ-grown English Fuggle hops are used and the explicit Cascade hops have been replaced by another US variety, Centennial. Peppery hints among the stone-fruit flavours up front, firm malt character in the middle and a piquant bitterness in the dry finish add up to a lovely rewarding drink. Try it with curry: hop spices pick up beautifully on coriander and chillies, which is how British troops in the eastern colonies would have experienced this tailor-made long-distance fresh ale in the 19th century

Gage Roads IPA wasn't half bad, but it was better at one time. Maybe this one will bring it back to it's former glory with me.

Had this last night and quite enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting much as I had never tried anything or heard anything from Gage roads before. My buddy and I happily knocked back a six pack and I would definitely buy it again.

Sounds like its certainly worth trying.

Anyone know if its widely available; ie all Dan Murphy's, Woolworths etc?

Cheers

Scott

Cheers

Scott

bought one at dan murphys here in strathfield, sydney. Was nice, pleasant in a sessionable way.

Cheers

Scott

Gage Roads are 25% owned by Woolworths so I'm sure it will be available at all Dan Murphys. Maybe not the shitty bottleshops attached to supermarkets.

Cheers

Scott

Bought mine from a local BWS in Elsternwick, VIC so i reckon it'll be readily available

Cheers guys.

Just come back from the local Woolworths with a 6 pack for $16.00.

Be having a few tonight to try and forget about the crappy day I've had.

Scott

Gage Roads are 25% owned by Woolworths so I'm sure it will be available at all Dan Murphys. Maybe not the shitty bottleshops attached to supermarkets.
Got mine at the bottlo attatched to the local Safeway supermarket..I've found that the flavour /aroma fades a bit too quick when warming up in the glass.Better to drink it reasonably cold IMO.AnyMHB'ers fishing at Eildon this weekend will get to try it,I'm bringing a slab :chug:

I'm trying this now after buying a six pack from Barons Liquor in Mt Lawley.

I have to say that it is underwhelming in my appraisal. After advertising their dry hopping on the label. Hop aroma is faint and the flavour is only just evident over the malt. This was stored warm, but I'd have thought that the sample would have still been pretty fresh.

Giant is not an adjective I'd use. More like a sleeping IPA.

Bugger. I was close to buying into the hype here and lashing out on some even though their other IPA is catpiss. Thanks.

It is the same beer as the Gage Roads IPA, just new packaging. The packaging should have changed over in most store over the last month dependant on sell-through

Latest posts

Back