Gage Roads 'sleeping Giant' Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the same beer as the Gage Roads IPA, just new packaging. The packaging should have changed over in most store over the last month dependant on sell-through

I don't think that's right. Pretty sure it's a different beer.

Its a dam shame that Woolworths set there guide lines for the brews to go to the public

They shut down the sail and anchor with no problem

This took away another good brewery

That's my understanding. Admittedly my understanding is based on the marketing blurb I read so it could be, well, marketing...

It's either the same beer or it's a slightly different beer brewed to replace the first.

I've tried it - it's OK. Nothing mind blowing but if you were at a barbecue and the offer was VB or this, you'd be pretty pleased to see it. Another mainstream gateway beer I guess but I'd rather see more than less of those. Has flavour, can drink warm.

Marketting article here - suggests some changes made to the original recipe: http://www.theshout.com.au/2010/10/29/arti...omic/AUUKGYNALI

It is the same beer as the Gage Roads IPA, just new packaging. The packaging should have changed over in most store over the last month dependant on sell-through

do you work their?

its a different recipe, new cellar managers Paul Gassmier's recipe (ex head brewer at Duckstein Margaret River)

Had a sixer the other day and it was OK. Quite a good malt backbone and pronounced bitterness but not a great deal in between. I didn't get the dry hop either. Worth it at $16 /six pack though.

do you work their?

its a different recipe, new cellar managers Paul Gassmier's recipe (ex head brewer at Duckstein Margaret River)

Had a sixer the other day and it was OK. Quite a good malt backbone and pronounced bitterness but not a great deal in between. I didn't get the dry hop either. Worth it at $16 /six pack though.
Each to their own,but i don't mind it at all.Maybe not a world classic,but a good step up on their standard IPA.And NO WAY is it the same beer Worth buying 1 stubbie and giving it a try IMHO :chug:

+1, Not a bad example of the style has some nice earthy aroma s and a moderately resinous flavour worth a try, big step up from their other ipa. Not the same beer by a long shot , just had one and followed it up with a jamieson beast ooohhh love the beast.

tried this and liked it although i did get a metallic taste like an old LCPA a while ago. good male and hops though i defiantly got the dry hop, i was pretty impressed. filterd to within an inch of its life though.

Look, would people please stop saying it is okay? You're confusing me. I'll give it a crack when next at Uncle Dan's. If I approach it as a bland version of an English pale spec'ed near the top end (rather than a proper IPA) will I get too angry at it?

Look, would people please stop saying it is okay? You're confusing me. I'll give it a crack when next at Uncle Dan's. If I approach it as a bland version of an English pale spec'ed near the top end (rather than a proper IPA) will I get too angry at it?

I doubt you base all your beer purchases on the opinion of people on here so yeah, just give it a crack. It's not like it's a $30 bottle of Mikkeller. I went with this philosphy last night and bought a bottle of Grand Ridge "Draught Bitter". I'm a sucker for punishment though.

I doubt you base all your beer purchases on the opinion of people on here so yeah, just give it a crack.
There are people who's opinion I do respect though and that does shape my presumptions in some way. Plus I don't handle beer disappointment well at all.

There are people who's opinion I do respect though and that does shape my presumptions in some way. Plus I don't handle beer disappointment well at all.
I never thought when i started this thread it would carry on for so long :lol: More people for than against so far :icon_cheers:
If you don't like beer disappointment,then keep away from "Shark Draught" ,"the beer with bite",it must be a Gummy shark :icon_vomit:

Bum,

it's a good beer. You should buy some.

<disclaimer>
Author has not tried said beer but is basing opinion on everyone else's opinion.

Cheers - Snow.

Based on Snow's 'review' above, I can highly recommend this as the Greatest Beer Ever Brewed. Maybe.

:ph34r:

The actual beer is not bad. IMO it is just not a beer-geek's idea of an IPA.

I am also biased. I have had my 'easy going pale ale' interpreted as a 'nice IPA'.

I just get offended when you call your IPA "Giant", saying that it has "giant flavour" and it is most definitely at the very low end of the scale for style. I had my first Kooinda Pale last night, and as a comparison, I thought that the Pale had more flavour and a similar level of bitterness (no side-by-side) than the Sleeping Giant. If Gage Roads called it a 'reasonably robust pale ale', I would not have been disappointed. The reason I was disappointed was that, at the time of purchase, I was without any homebrew, and felt like an IPA, and could have easily brought home some Hop Hog or some hoppy import.

Sure, I would accept this over other beers at a mate's BBQ, and it would go down a treat.

I just get offended when you call your IPA "Giant", saying that it has "giant flavour" and it is most definitely at the very low end of the scale for style. I had my first Kooinda Pale last night, and as a comparison, I thought that the Pale had more flavour and a similar level of bitterness (no side-by-side) than the Sleeping Giant. If Gage Roads called it a 'reasonably robust pale ale', I would not have been disappointed. The reason I was disappointed was that, at the time of purchase, I was without any homebrew, and felt like an IPA, and could have easily brought home some Hop Hog or some hoppy import.

Zing..

p.s where did you find the kooi? warners at the bay? always get nervous sending beer interstate incase it dosnt travel well. hopefully it was most enjoyable :kooi:

Back