Coca Cola/Rheem kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naboo

Reaction score
G'day folks,
I was fortunate enough to inherit some old Coca Cola/Rheem Mytton Rodd kegs which I'd love to put into use BUT I'm having a fair bit of trouble figuring the fittings out and hoped someone here might have some advice.
They had been lying around a fair while unused before they came to me. I'm not really sure of their age. I bought some new O rings and seals to replace the existing ones as they were all perished. I got a lot of bits and pieces in a box with the kegs but figured I'd get some news rings and seals to start fresh. However, the O rings I received - to fit this style of post - are actually a bit too big. They are loose around the post and can easily be taken off. They are also bigger than the perished ones and some of the spares in the box of bits and pieces.
I also tried a standard pin lock disconnect from the lhbs (Pera brand) but found that this was also too big. I couldn't get a proper seal and the disconnect wobbled around. The diameter of that also seems too big for the posts on these kegs. They measure about 14mm across the top.

Are there different sized posts for these type of kegs? Are there different sized disconnects to suit them?

I looked at changing the posts to ball locks but that looks about $35 a post which seems too pricey considering I can pick up a refurbished ball lock corny for $70ish (and will have far greater access to spare parts that are also cheaper). It might just be easier to start with new kegs.

The kegs themselves are very solid and I'd love to use them. I am just trying to see if I can get them to hold pressure but I have stumbled at every step. I'm hoping someone here can spot something I'm missing or knows of a work around. Any info appreciated. Cheers!

I've(tried to) attach some photos. Hopefully that works.
IMG_20191019_140942.jpg

IMG_20191019_141144.jpg

IMG_20191019_141117.jpg

What you have there is what was the common Australian "pin lock" post (or plug), yes they are different to the ones that are imported from America. Once they were pretty popular, the Australian "ball lock" post is the same form as the ones used in the US and a lot of other countries (Corny and Spartanburg....)
Disconnects for ball lock posts fit either Australian or imported ball lock kegs.
If you get American pin lock its different to yours.
Attached is a catalog from Turret (RR Taylor) who made both types in Australia. Here is a link showing how to service Australian posts, the only difference between the Aussie Ball and Pin lock is the outside O-Ring otherwise all same. Any decent HBS should be able to supply the parts you need.

Someone might have a couple of Australian pin lock disconnects they don't need, if you can get some at a decent price it might be worth it to be able to use the kegs, Andale was the agent for Turret, you could contact Andale or Turret and see if they have any, but they aren't cheap.
Mark

Attachments

• turret_catalogue_2013.pdf
    397.7 KB · Views: 135
Another place to try is STPV in Melbourne. I have bought posts and seals from them in the past.

Thanks for your detailed response @MHB . It has answered a couple of questions. It's much appreciated :cheers:
It looks like the only options are possibly quite expensive but I'll give the links you provided a try before I give in.

Thanks also @dblunn. I'll suss them out too.

G'day folks,
I was fortunate enough to inherit some old Coca Cola/Rheem Mytton Rodd kegs which I'd love to put into use BUT I'm having a fair bit of trouble figuring the fittings out and hoped someone here might have some advice.
Don't know what thread yours are but would it be possible to use https://www.kegland.com.au/multi-post-for-cornelius-type-kegs-fits-gas-and-liquid.html with an adapter similar to https://www.bunnings.com.au/powerfit-3-8-bsp-male-to-male-air-tool-connector-fitting_p6210522, an engineering shop should be able to tell you what the thread is and evil bay may have adapters in stainless if you're not keen on brass.

You would need a 1/2"BSP Male to 0.594"UNF Male nipple
I have never seen such a beast But it might be worth asking one of the Keg---- people if they could get them made.
There are lots of the old Australian kegs around, a lot of them are pin-lock (bayonet) or will need replacement posts at some time.
Mark

Thanks all for your replies.

Thanks @Hpal . I looked into getting the replacement posts but wasn't sure if the cost of replacing the posts was worth it considering some reconditioned kegs with easier to find parts (and cheaper) are about the same price. I've been in touch with easykegging and they were pretty helpful.

Thanks for the idea @Grmblz . I had kinda hoped there'd be something out there like that.
It'd be great if there was a cheap alternative. I'm not a real technical or mechanical kinda guy and have no experience with kegs at all so need to ask around to try and figure it out.

Latest posts

Back