Fricken lasers on their heads

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screw the rodents, I'll save the bacon for myself

Buy humane traps, collect hundreds of mice then after starving them, release them at the ex's place.

endisnigh said:
i recently moved house, coming from somewhere that had no issues with rodents. I quickly discovered we had mice in the new house and had to do a bit of a cleanup a few times after they chewed their way though grain bags.

Most of my grain is stored in those Bunnings buckets (pictured) - air tight, food safe, convenient etc. I moved the 25kg grain bags into some plastic bins from Bunnings - "problem solved!" said I, self-congratulatorily.

I double-checked this morning - as I had been caught out on two previous occasions by the mice finding grain that I didn't know I had (still in boxes after the move and so on).

And this is what I found.

I'm utterly stumped as to what to do next. We might have to move house.

Suggestions welcome.

Note that I put down some poison/bait a few weeks ago - but they're not going to touch that while there's grain around.
rats by the look of the teeth marks

As BDD says rats are to wily for traps, they would have to be there a while before a rat will come anywhere near it, where as a mouse you will catch first go.
The cage traps are best and the easiest way to catch them.

So much info here - Thanks all.

I've gotten some of those 60L Willow bins, I'll start with them. Can't immediately replace all of those buckets, so I've placed some floor tiles on top of them so the rats (I'm convinced) can't get purchase on the rims with their teeth. I'm hoping they won't be able to chew through the sides.

Also got some mouse and rat traps (two of each) - they come pre-baited, but will probably add some pb.

Ultimately I like the idea of a rat-proof area - I might make a large metal bin.

I'll let you know how this goes.

Male barn cat, un-neutered, feed home every second or third day.

PS: Your bird population may also decline. However, cats from barn-cat lineages tend to focus on mice.

My dog caught this the other night it's unbelievable how big this thing was, I'm glad it didn't find my grain. I live 1 street away from the swamp/wetlands, it must've came in from down there. I reckon it would've ate my chickens. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1489909723.139170.jpg
Please note: I didn't consume that beer it was only used for photographic purposes.

I've seen where rats have chewed through the thick black lids on those blue plastic drums so wouldn't be surprised if they get through anything plastic.
IMO, baits are far more effective than traps. On the farm, I always used the red Talon baits in the secure housings. Planted along the skirts of walls as rats are blind as bats and tend to follow familiar paths. If you use traps then peanut butter is great and if you're really determined, rub the trap with bacon fat to hide your scent.
Euthanise the cat.

Jesus Kingy. That's a wallaby.

Agree on traps not bait works better, mind you have not seen a single one since i got a hunting dog who loves to sniff out the little buggers!

That rat seems to like your beer Kingy, he looks well rat arsed. I've had mates in the back yard like that also.

The problem with rodents is not what they eat but that they shit and piss on the grain.

That's a weird looking rat Kingy. Where's the tail? I reckon you might have to get that bugger DNA tested!

Not a rat. Bandicoot?

I lived in Port Stephens for a while, the first one I saw was in the backyard at night, frightened the shit out of me as I thought it was a gigantic rat!

I'm in country area, so rats are around.

I use Bunnings 60l gal bins. Also put some foam tape around the indside of the lid he help keep smaller pests out.

Back