Fricken lasers on their heads

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These traps work well with peanut butter and any kind of nut or seed stuck into the middle.
I also prefer (or the rats and things seem to ) the red wax baits over the green ones, maybe they use a different yeast ?

image.jpg

endisnigh said:
So: trap on top. The traps were in there last night, and two had been set off, but no catch.

I've also allowed access to the cat - he previously wasn't able to get in there at night. Slightly worried he might get caught in the traps so they're now all on top of buckets.
That's creepy. You love your cat don't put him to battle. I use the wax blocks. I have to every season to keep them in check.
Keeping the numbers down in control.
If you really want them to get a good quick dose then smother the wax block in lard or chicken fat, and animal fat, Bacon fat the best. They will go it that night.
The snap traps for Rats need to be pretty serious. Even tie secured. Some rats are strong enough to wriggle out of them or drag the trap away.
Then hiding serious killer traps like that you could forget one day and find it snapping on your own hand. Stuff that.

This morning the trap was on the ground and had been set off. No rat. All the peanut butter had been eaten off this and two of the other traps - which were still set.

So I have to say those traps were a complete waste of (not much) money.

There was also some additional damage to the rim of another bucket - it will have to be replaced at some point.

Today I'm going to build a rolling can/bottle trap over a bin - with water in the bottom. They seem to be very effective.

Oh, and I had second thoughts about letting the cat in there with the traps - overall much happier to be rid of them!

That picture in the OP is definitely from a rat. They can chew through almost anything. It's common when you live in a rural area. I've had rats eat the wiring in my car.

This has intrigued me. So it crawls onto the bottle, the bottle turns and its in the water? If it's directly balanced on the bottle it won't work?

Can they climb up the outside of a bucket?

endisnigh said:
Done. Ima gonna git the little critter!

Markbeer said:
This has intrigued me. So it crawls onto the bottle, the bottle turns and its in the water? If it's directly balanced on the bottle it won't work?

Can they climb up the outside of a bucket?
Yes, then they go dragging their wet feet all over the shed floor.

endisnigh said:
Done. Ima gonna git the little critter!
You need to make a ramp up to the end the bottle,and have you smeared some peanut butter around the centre of the bottle ?
Good luck.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rhino-1145-x-530-x-420mm-galvanised-tool-box_p5810155

One of these should hold a few 25KG sacks.

Add some door seal tape around the inside of the lid to prevent bugs getting in.

You can kill rats as mush as you like, but its a war of attrition you will never win.

Mice you can just bait, they usually die in the ceiling and only smell for a day or two before they dry out.

abyss said:
You need to make a ramp up to the end the bottle,and have you smeared some peanut butter around the centre of the bottle ?
Good luck.
Yep. Give them an easy ramp access. Wrap, tie a strip of bacon around the bottle will be the real draw card. Don't worry about the bottle being balanced they'll fall in. But if they are big rats (and they seem to be) it may be an experience for any faint of heart.
Find 5 or ten of those drowned and drowning in the morning etc. Some using the deads for life rafts etc. Just saying...

Update: nothing.

No activity since I put that new trap in (2 nights). Probably weather related, or they were spooked by the traps setting off last time. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I have a nice welcoming ramp up to the bucket and have peanut butter smeared around the bottle. They can also hop on the bucket from the trailer so have two points of access.

Lionman - I like that galvanised bin, it will probably be the way to go if I can efficiently fit the various white buckets in. I'll go into bunnings and annoy the staff by filling one with buckets today :)
The sacks are in the black Willow bins and presumably safe for the moment. But I think ultimately you're right - I can't keep killing them.

Latest posts

Back