Fresh Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget you also end up with a $17 value empty cube which is perfect for no-chilling, cold conditioning if you move onto AG brewing.

Don't forget you also end up with a $17 value empty cube which is perfect for no-chilling, cold conditioning if you move onto AG brewing.

that's where i got all my cubes from... better quality than the bunnings cubes... that's for sure

Several of our FWK's would cost you more to make buying the grain & hops off the shelf & that's just for the ingredients.
When you take into account fuel costs, time, & a free $18 cube, I reckon the value is pretty good.
This week we are adding a German Pilsner + Rock & Timber Draught ;) to the line up.

Yes, all our FWK's are on tap in the brewery. Over 30 beers on tap at the moment, which I guess could be a record for a micro in Australia.
$10 bottomless glass & refunded if you purchase.

cheers Ross

Several of our FWK's would cost you more to make buying the grain & hops off the shelf & that's just for the ingredients.
When you take into account fuel costs, time, & a free $18 cube, I reckon the value is pretty good.
This week we are adding a German Pilsner + Rock & Timber Draught ;) to the line up.

Yes, all our FWK's are on tap in the brewery. Over 30 beers on tap at the moment, which I guess could be a record for a micro in Australia.
$10 bottomless glass & refunded if you purchase.

cheers Ross

$10.00 bottomless glass. Does QR let you take cubes on the train? The only way I will buy new cubes in the future is full of FW. The black goat was good and the keg is about to blow. Might go the czech pils next. When you take the cost of a cube $30 for a ready made batch is pretty bloody good.

Cheers Brad

The bottomless glass is great if you aren't driving. When da Northern crue fronted up there the other week we ended up blowing a couple of the kegs :icon_drunk: - mostly TidalPete's doing of course.

I would just love to partake in that one, doubt that Virgin Blue or Jerkstar would allow a couple of cubes to be put in the baggage hold.

Fresh wort kits can lack hop aroma because they are basically a commercially-produced no chill cube ( a method of cooling wort that all grain brewers often use ). Because the wort is boiling when it goes into the cube, it is at a high temperature for the first hour or so, which can nuke hop aroma.

My suspicion is actually that none/few of the manufacturers are late hopping for reasons of cost. If they were and the lid went on straight away, which it presumably should for reasons of sterility, then I would have thought the aroma has nowhere to go and remains locked in. (Could be displaying my ignorance of cubes here). In that case, the bigger issue is the usual one of calculating the bittering addition from that hour of contact time. Ross seems to be recommending up to 90g worth of dry hopping for his bigger kits, which is a slightly sneaky way of drumming up more business when you think about it. <_< A secondary issue is the merits of dry-hopping styles that don't traditionally use that approach to aroma ...

Nothing sneaky Muckanic, that's how the beers were designed, long before we looked at making the FWK's. Our IPA is based on Meantimes IPA & it's late hopping is pretty well exactly the same as theirs, including the dry hopping.
We have approx 140gms of Fuggles/EKG already added at 5mins/flame out. The dry hopping is paramount to the beer style, but nothing stopping you from not adding, the beer would still be excellent. With approx 300gms of hops in both our premium beer kits I don't think we could be acussed of skimping. As i've mentioned before, both kits would cost you more making them from the basic ingredients (at regular retail pricing).

Cheers Ross

Our Stone & Wood Clone has it's first addition at 20 mins & 2 more large additions after that, we have not cut back on late hopping in any of our brews.

if you buy in bulk how long can you keep them for..and what temps do they have do be stored at

if you buy in bulk how long can you keep them for..and what temps do they have do be stored at

I think Craft Brewer stated 2 year shelf life but I doubt you keep it that long. Might be difficult to keep at an ideal temperature in the tropics just say as cool as you can manage. FWKs in the shops are not kept refridgerated they just put them on the shelf so it cannot be critical.

P.S. Marlin Homebrew in Cairns stock those Barons kits that are similar to FWK but only weigh 10Kg.

I am planning on getting at least 2 of the CB kits before the cheap shipping deal ends March even though I don't need the cubes.

Latest posts

Back