Fresh Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifter

Reaction score
I have just procured a few containers of Fresh Wort - Czech Pilsner. Instructions say just add water and yeast. Would it help the flavour if hops (what variety?) were added at the or near the end of fermentation.

The first one of these I made was very good, but I would just like to know if it can be improved by dry hopping?

Any advice welcome.

I have just procured a few containers of Fresh Wort - Czech Pilsner. Instructions say just add water and yeast. Would it help the flavour if hops (what variety?) were added at the or near the end of fermentation.

The first one of these I made was very good, but I would just like to know if it can be improved by dry hopping?

Any advice welcome.

I haven't used these fresh wort kits so I don't know how much they have been hopped. If you want to do some dry hopping Czech Saaz would be the way to go. Give it a crack and see what happens, it's always good to compare if you only change one thing.

Czech pilsners aren't usually dry hopped because saaz can come out pretty grassy, YMMV though.

Fresh wort kits can lack hop aroma because they are basically a commercially-produced no chill cube ( a method of cooling wort that all grain brewers often use ). Because the wort is boiling when it goes into the cube, it is at a high temperature for the first hour or so, which can nuke hop aroma.

One thing you could do is bring a litre of the wort to the boil, add 30g Saaz, boil for 10 minute, cool quickly and pour the whole lot into the fermenter including the remainder of the cube. This will emulate a late kettle hop addition.

BribieG,
Thanks for that, birilliant suggestion.

One thing you could do is bring a litre of the wort to the boil, add 30g Saaz, boil for 10 minute, cool quickly and pour the whole lot into the fermenter including the remainder of the cube. This will emulate a late kettle hop addition.

A handy way to do this is to drop the entire cube down to fridge temp ie 4C remove a litre or 2 and boil it with some hops then add the boiling portion into the fermenter along with the remainder of the cube (which is still at 4C) Essentially the very hot portion plus the very cool portion will mix to a temp which is spot on for pitching. You also get the added benefit of "locking in" you're late hop additions due to your rapid chilling.

I have made a couple of FWKs and found them a little bit lacking. Bribie's method looks like a good way to add some hops. Also I found that if you only add water to make up to about 20Litres you get a bit more of a tasty brew 19l would be even better presuming you have the 17L cubes of Fresh Wort.

I take it that this Fresh wort is like the stuff they are selling at Craft Brewer?

they say on their site to dry hop certain hops.

Has anyone tried these from Craft Brewer?

$49 plus hops and yeast is a bit steep though???? What would an average AG batch cost?

Camo

yep they are a bit expensive and even more so if you need them shipped. It is the closest you can get to AG if you don't have the room or equipment to do your own.

I bought 6 x 15 ltrs of fresh wort form another source not Craft Brewer. Paid $230 for the wort and about $100 for freight to Hobart. Total cost $330 for 120 ltrs of beer, that's 253 pints, which is about $1.30 per pint, not bad when you conisder a pint of pi.. in a pub is upwards of $6 +, and good beer is nearer to $9 per pint. Not a bad deal, for me anyway and it makes pretty drinkable beer.

I bought 6 x 15 ltrs of fresh wort form another source not Craft Brewer. Paid $230 for the wort and about $100 for freight to Hobart. Total cost $330 for 120 ltrs of beer, that's 253 pints, which is about $1.30 per pint, not bad when you conisder a pint of pi.. in a pub is upwards of $6 +, and good beer is nearer to $9 per pint. Not a bad deal, for me anyway and it makes pretty drinkable beer.

I am lucky that I am a 10 min drive from Craft Brewer so picking up the wort is easy... I think I might give it a go for a batch soon... I am about to do my first extract brew and the total cost for it has come to around $50-60 as well so may as well give the fresh wort a go and see what it tastes like.

I am lucky that I am a 10 min drive from Craft Brewer so picking up the wort is easy... I think I might give it a go for a batch soon... I am about to do my first extract brew and the total cost for it has come to around $50-60 as well so may as well give the fresh wort a go and see what it tastes like.

Ask Ross for a try before you buy. That way you know what you are buying.

His kits are pretty good value, given that he does all the labour. I have a number of mates whom this would suit - like good beer, like it cheap, but don't want to put in the labour for it.

10 minutes? From Northgate to Capalaba? You do realise that the police live on both the Gateway arterials and Old Cleveland Road.

Goomba

Ask Ross for a try before you buy. That way you know what you are buying.

His kits are pretty good value, given that he does all the labour. I have a number of mates whom this would suit - like good beer, like it cheap, but don't want to put in the labour for it.

10 minutes? From Northgate to Capalaba? You do realise that the police live on both the Gateway arterials and Old Cleveland Road.

Goomba

haha... yes maybe 20-30 mins is more like it... but I used to live at Gumdale so it seems like a quick drive!

So is the beers that he has on tap the ones that he sells in the fresh wort kits? I saw this last week when I went there but didnt ask what beers were on tap.

Sounds like I might need to make another trip across town in the next few weeks :icon_cheers:

haha... yes maybe 20-30 mins is more like it... but I used to live at Gumdale so it seems like a quick drive!

So is the beers that he has on tap the ones that he sells in the fresh wort kits? I saw this last week when I went there but didnt ask what beers were on tap.

Sounds like I might need to make another trip across town in the next few weeks :icon_cheers:

The craftbrewer FWK yes - not the other brands.

You may need to ask him, though, what he does extra.

And have a fridge that can keep it within the temp ranges required.

Goomba

i just did a CB FWK and have just started drinking it the last few days (1st one i have ever done)

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4107
Bacchus American Pale Ale - Fresh Wort Kit (Approx SG 1048 Alc 4.8%).

i actually need to go to the bottle shop for something to compare it to and do a side by side comparison

it's pretty good i am happy with it and i did not dry hop,
bit cloudy in the glass but have been drinking some i put in stubbies.

i have some tallies for later on

1000% improvement on straight tins of goo IMO the cloudiness does not worry me :icon_drool2:

i have a Argon LFPA (BIAB) boiling on the stove right now ... hoping it might be as good or better :)

Yeah I am doing the Argon LFPA extract version this weekend!

Very much looking forward to it!

After doing a FWK you will probably find it puts kits and extract brews into the shade.

I found after 2 FWKs I could not get anywhere near the tastyness using my usual kits and bits.
I also learned what 'kit twang' was like.

My problem is my LHBS no longer stocks the 17L FWK and the shipping costs from the Sponsors above make them uneconomical. Maybe I should buy a bunch of them like the OP and save by buying in bulk.

Latest posts

Back