Food matching suggestions for a newb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memainmon

Reaction score
I have no idea regarding food matching and it might sound a bit silly but as I start to finish up brewing my first kit beer (cooper original draught) i'd like to have a dinner with the friend i did it with, any idea on some good matches?

Fish and chips are always a good match for beer as well.

You did it with your friend before buying them dinner. More power to you. I usually have to fork out for a few dinners and even then can't be sure I will get lucky, but I am married.

Big steak and don't get too worked up if your first isn't amazing. Well done (not the steak) if it is - steak and beer is still a great combo.

Indian- Either lamb or beef curry and some naan (or roti) with rice. Things only get better after the first batch. :beer:

First kit brew? I recommend matching it with 3-4 other glasses of any alcohol beforehand.

Edited to add- If you are on a student budget make mash potatos with half a teaspoon of truffle oil in them. Serve with (the cheapest you can find) sausages and some steamed green beans. This is delicious and will get you laid.

Truffle oil is also good in scrambled eggs, so you got dinner and breakfast covered.

manticle said:
Big steak and don't get too worked up if your first isn't amazing. Well done (not the steak) if it is - steak and beer is still a great combo.
I thought my first was amazing. I don't think she rated my efforts as highly though.

I love a row of plain milk chocolate and a beer to finish the evening. Problem is it makes you fatter :p

Something high in protein, salt and good fats, and low on volume. Forget pizza and pasta. It just displaces valuable fluid space and makes you look like you're in your second trimester afterwood.

Bagna Cauda, thats the shot. Serve with crudites if you want to keep it nutritious, or toast soldiers if you're lazy and gluten tolerant.

Moorish ans stinky.

• 125ml/4fl oz extra virgin olive oil

• 4-5 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed

• 12 anchovies preserved in olive oil, drained and chopped

• 120g/4oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes

• Put the olive oil in a pan with the garlic and anchovies and stir over a low heat for a few minutes.

• Whisk in 90g of the butter, and as soon as it has melted, remove from the heat and whisk a few more times so that everything is creamy and amalgamated.

• Taste, and if you feel you want this dipping sauce, which is meant to be pungent but not acrid, a little more mellow, then whisk in two more tablespoons of butter.

• Pour into a fondue dish over a flame or just serve in a very warm bowl.

TimT said:
Pan fried haloumi and gatlic, squeeze of lemon juice - bewwwwwwwwwwwdiful!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Je94qV7Q_6w/hqdefault.jpg
Winner, winner Cyprian dinner! The BIL goes one step better and wraps the haloumi in good prosciutto before BBQing. Magic stuff.

A mate of mine gets me home made haloumi from friends that supply Melbourne restaurants. I think they make it from cow's milk instead of sheep's but it still has that squeaky texture. Fifteen bucks a kilo and lovingly formed in the underarm of some old Cyprian woman.

What, are you supposed to make it from sheep's milk! I've been doing it rong! Homemade haloumi is easy as, though, bro, I even made it last Easter with my nieces and I didn't even have my proper cheesemaking stuff with me.

Bagna Cauda has got to be one of the tastiest things in this world.
Having looked at wikipedia, I can see I've been doing it all wrong. I'll have to give it a go the proper way.

That said, the way I do it is also pretty darn good - although I guess it's more a bagna cauda inspired butter than the real thing.

* lump of butter
* anchovies
* garlic
* lemon rind

moosh it all up with a fork, and put a good lump of it on a bit of steak. Awesome.

Anything with enough fat and salt will be great. A bit of chilli would be good too.

TimT said:
What, are you supposed to make it from sheep's milk! I've been doing it rong! Homemade haloumi is easy as, though, bro, I even made it last Easter with my nieces and I didn't even have my proper cheesemaking stuff with me.
Dammit. As well as brewing beer, I also need to find the time to get into jerky/biltong making, smoking meat, distilllllummmmm, bee hives, meads, sours, ciders, chillies, veggie gardening, death metal (I'll take a rain check thanks), country music (apparently some of it's tolerable), curries, cycling, burgers, politics, foreign relations, whingeing...and now cheese making, all whilst learning a new trade. AHBCEABDFFMA

Just added the cheese and pasta sauce making to the list. Going to learn to make sausages and salami soon so we can do pizza from scratch. :D

You know, the proper pizza..

TimT said:
Tim, do you have a recipe or link to one that you use.
I LOVE Haloumi and Saganakli cheese.

Latest posts

Back