Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could not find any Kestrel seed spuds had to use the ones from Coles, my favourites are King Edwards but the yield isn't so good.
Kestrel have PBR plant breeder rights so probably not commonly sold for home gardens i get the Aldi Baby Kestrel potatoes washed about 20 potatoes to the kilo a good size to plant .Planted another 20 last Thursday so hopefully hot wet weather does not come early this year and stop from producing .

I heard about them 3 or 4 years ago from Kitchen Garden Magazine where the show growers use them, I thought that Diggers or Green Harvest would have had them by now, first time I have grown a non certified spud but a mate of mine grows any spud he has got from the supermarket that has started to chit.

Had no problem with the supermarket kestrel potatoes they seem to sprout quicker then the ones i grow found a single kestrel potato when i dug up to plant and this potato after 10 weeks shows no sign of sprouting so if buying kestrel potatoes that are not starting to sprout buy early enough and washed potatoes work just as good as unwashed.Kestrel potatoes seem to produce very quickly here in Brisbane but people from Victoria say down there you get more potatoes from each plant

Got home tonight went into the garden and dug up some earlies for dinner, can't beat a spud straight out the ground.
001.JPG
Greenfeast peas almost ready will be getting stuck into them next week.
002.JPG
Cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, silverbeet, Chinese cabbage and Chinese broccoli coming on but even though they are in mesh I think it is going to get a bit warm in there.
003.JPG 004.JPG

Nearly eaten all my early spuds, Beef steak tomatoes ready to go into hydro pots, Kestrel spuds going well and Blue sapphire coming along nicely, all the seedlings looking forward to the end of the month and the extra hour of daylight.;)

Hey WEAL. Do you bother much about your PH levels? If you do, whats your method? I've heard the testers available from the usual outlets aren't much chop.

Hey WEAL. Do you bother much about your PH levels? If you do, whats your method? I've heard the testers available from the usual outlets aren't much chop.
No those prong pH meters aren't any good I have measured the pH in the past using my pH meter that I use for brewing and it was always pretty consistent, but I don't know how much of the reading is the water.
Just make sure you put down plenty of compost to feed the soil, the plants are like us and can adjust the pH in their environment to a certain degree.
Considering that plants are like small chemical factories and produce gases to communicate along with toxins to try and prevent mammals and insects from eating them, it's not surprising they can slightly alter the pH.
Plants are certainly smarter than we give them credit for as scientists are just beginning to find out.

Plants are smart.
Up here the giant Russian Garlic arent too giant because the plants use the increasing daylight time as a switch to begin bulbing up.
They get that switch sooner in the South so can grow bigger bulbs.

DST should give mine a nudge.

Be good to grow some garlic over the border Bribie and see just how much difference DST makes to the plant :)

Business as usual then. I'm trying to keep it as 'organic' as possible as the wicking beds are obviously a closed system. But I'm having a shot at growing Maca this year and apparently it loves an acid soil of <5. Easier to get a few bags of Rose / Azalea mix and plant out separately then.

You'd be surprised, or not, how many folks believe you can alter the bodys PH to a meaningful degree by consuming an alkaline diet, the idea being it promotes health, when the reality is, you would die. How odd.

Plants are smart.
Up here the giant Russian Garlic arent too giant because the plants use the increasing daylight time as a switch to begin bulbing up.
They get that switch sooner in the South so can grow bigger bulbs.

DST should give mine a nudge.

How pungent is the Russian stuff? I want to get into dishes like Spanish garlic soup with being ostracized.

Business as usual then. I'm trying to keep it as 'organic' as possible as the wicking beds are obviously a closed system. But I'm having a shot at growing Maca this year and apparently it loves an acid soil of <5. Easier to get a few bags of Rose / Azalea mix and plant out separately then.

You'd be surprised, or not, how many folks believe you can alter the bodys PH to a meaningful degree by consuming an alkaline diet, the idea being it promotes health, when the reality is, you would die. How odd.
Been there a few years ago with a client of mine had me half believing him until I did some reading on it, I don't get indigestion anymore but when I did I only had to smell tomatoes in a curry or stew and I would get indigestion.

Russian garlic is mild it is a leek really.

I believe the Russian is milder than normal so apparently ideal for the soup as you use a lot.
(Can someone please explain why some places emphasise "organic garlic bulbs" and charge the rediculous organic prices on those products that are really organically grown anyway? As you can use garlic as a garden spray for pest, does something actually attack it? Mine are always ok)

I believe the Russian is milder than normal so apparently ideal for the soup as you use a lot.
(Can someone please explain why some places emphasise "organic garlic bulbs" and charge the rediculous organic prices on those products that are really organically grown anyway? As you can use garlic as a garden spray for pest, does something actually attack it? Mine are always ok)
Only rust fungus seems to attack garlic.

Question, how did WEAL post of "18 minutes ago" get before my post of "16 minutes ago"? Naturally the time keeps changing but post are wrong way around.

David Avacado Wolfe can answer that for you :)

Question, how did WEAL post of "18 minutes ago" get before my post of "16 minutes ago"? Naturally the time keeps changing but post are wrong way around.
Not sure of your question. A post made 18 minutes ago will always show before a post of 16 minutes ago. He posted it 2 minutes earlier?

David Avacado Wolfe can answer that for you :)

In David Wolf world, where facts and evidence are irrelevant, I hold advanced degrees in Biological engineering, molecular physics and Corporate law.

Back