Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep plants are very clever. Some native grasses (e.g. Microleana) exude citrates out of the roots which bind up toxic metals (e.g aluminum) at acidic pH. This prevents the toxins reaching and killing the plant. Hence they can do very well on naturally acidic soil where other plants would die.

Obviously plumbing pays better :)

Actually, In David world, I get paid not in money, but in un vaccinated women who strongly resemble Salma Hayek. Sprinkled with deer antler.

On a more realistic note, I'm please to report my Victoria hops (they must have shot up an inch just yesterday), Marconi Red capsicum, heirloom Romas and spacemaster cucumbers in my Jerry rigged, Tek screwed together, meter square green house have all emerged. The cold just seemed to have everything fooled.

Jesus... that guy is just total ******* fuckwit. Wolf, not Jesus.

Actually, In David world, I get paid not in money, but in un vaccinated women who strongly resemble Salma Hayek. Sprinkled with deer antler.

On a more realistic note, I'm please to report my Victoria hops (they must have shot up an inch just yesterday), Marconi Red capsicum, heirloom Romas and spacemaster cucumbers in my Jerry rigged, Tek screwed together, meter square green house have all emerged. The cold just seemed to have everything fooled.

Jesus... that guy is just total ******* fuckwit. Wolf, not Jesus.

What your basically saying is

A). Pay your invoice on time

B) Cash...nah...we dont take cash

I like the good old button squash but object to paying up to $20 a kilo at the supermarket. That's right, $20 at IGA but I can get a bargain and pay $12 at Coles. Awesome.

button squash 1.jpg

So I planted a mere 4 plants of the green variety, but didn't take into account that each plant acts more like a cucumber and less like a zucchini.. it forks and forks.

Well so much for button squash. The crop has really got away on me.
Button squash 2.jpg

I've dug the centre out a couple and stuffed with leek, bacon, egg, herbs and breadcrumb mix, then drizzled with heaps of Australian EVOO and pop in oven with the current shoulder of lamb.
I'll finish under grill with a cheese topping.

Will report.
Button squash 3.jpg

I like the good old button squash but object to paying up to $20 a kilo at the supermarket. That's right, $20 at IGA but I can get a bargain and pay $12 at Coles. Awesome.

View attachment 108406
So I planted a mere 4 plants of the green variety, but didn't take into account that each plant acts more like a cucumber and less like a zucchini.. it forks and forks.

Well so much for button squash. The crop has really got away on me.
View attachment 108407

I've dug the centre out a couple and stuffed with leek, bacon, egg, herbs and breadcrumb mix, then drizzled with heaps of Australian EVOO and pop in oven with the current shoulder of lamb.
I'll finish under grill with a cheese topping.

Will report.
View attachment 108408
And i thought i was kicking goals with my slow roasted lamb shoulder!

More on topic for "brew food" here but the current Coles "Spring Lamb" shoulders are only $9 a kilo until Tues. and bloody delicious.

Are you harvesting those now Bribie? I was reading about a squash called Honey boat in the UK garden magazine so looked it up here but could not find them, went on Etsy and got some seeds from USA where they call it sweet potato squash or Honey boat Delicata.

Mine are normally called "patty pan squash" AFAIK so are probably American in origin as a variety. I just got the seeds out of the Yates or whatever rack at the hardware store. I get 10 to 20 little button ones per week as well, the ones in the photo are the ones that got away, hiding under the foliage!!

I have only just put the seeds in for my Marrow which Bunnings have started selling again I will have to try putting some of those squash in early now I can protect them from any frost we might get.

In Europe and USA they are "the taste of summer".. of course here I've been growing them over the winter and it's probably too late to plant any more :p

SWMBO always complains about the shoulder being too soft, as it is after four hours.

The stuffed squash worked in perfectly.

button squash 4.jpg

Grott, I've got a massive set of bushes of big sweet cherry tomatoes that have been yielding for about two months now off only three bushes, and showing no signs of slowing down. Haven't bought a tomato since July.
I'll take a photo of the bushes tomorrow and go through my seeds box to see what variety. I got them from Eden Seeds.

cherry tomatoes.jpg

Christ. Tomatoes won't even sprout here till Dec if I'm lucky. They fruit ok but more like feb/march

Latest posts

Back