Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved Tiger Nuts, wasn't so keen on the Cod Liver oil, followed by a dose of Rose Hip Syrup, though that was nice, there was also Spanish Root, Chewing Wood, or Liquorice Root was another name for it.

manticle said:
I'd say they dropped off the radar because they reminded people of poverty and hard tomes. Same reason offal or even meats like rabbit are loss common (but revived/popular in more gourmet circles).

My guess only.
Rabbit would have been not eaten because of the virus that they introduced to kill off and with infested rabbits not a good selling point and the price of production went up so not so cheap.

Read a book about the history of myxomatosis, in the U.K it was put down illegally by farmers and wiped out 98% of the rabbit population. Was first trialled off Scotland but the resident rabbits had no fleas and there were no mosquitos, so the only dead rabbits found on the island were the infected ones put on there. In the U.K now most rabbits are immune to it so they have made a big comeback.
The carp herpesvirus which is due to be released this year will probably be an abject failure, scientists here say the carp will never become immune to it but in the U.K (where there is an outbreak at the present) the understanding is 30 to 50% of the carp will be immune to it, and it is a million pound industry in the U.K.

Carp herpesvirus? But if they don't use toilet seats, how they gonna explain it to the missus?

As a fish's memory span is about 5 seconds he would have forgot he had a missus. :D

Got Tiger Nuts delivered to day, released from Biosecurity Control,document inside saying the 'tomato seeds' will be destroyed within 20 days, the nuts were still in the bag, would it be possible they have microwaved them or some other dastardly act? Will plant them and see if they germinate.
Hopefully it was a new starter and didn't realise he had sent the nuts with the document.

False alarm my nuts are intact the supplier slipped a complimentary packet of tomato seeds which were not correctly labeled, so it is those that are being destroyed.

wide eyed and legless said:
False alarm my nuts are intact.
Thank heavens for that, have you told Mrs WEAL.

Ps with regards to SA, only "farmed" rabbits can be sold. They are fairly bland and don't have that rich flavour that come from the wild ones, or do we call them "free range"?

$3500 to test the tomato seeds that is on the Italian gardeners seeds web site.

With the extraction of the Josta Berry pending, I bought a packet of Johnston's Goji Berry seed out of ten seeds four has germinated, the Strawberry and Pineapple Guava seeds have all germinated so now it is going to be a decision which takes the place of the Josta Berry.
Also in the seedling nursery are, Chinese, Savoy, and Sugarloaf cabbage, Broccoli, Violent Sicilian and Quick heart Cauliflower, Leeks, 3 punnets of pickling onions, Beefsteak tomatoes, strawberries, various chillies.

Two out of the six Tigernuts are up, looking forward to trying these.
002.JPG

Carolina reaper still producing undercover, looking "grim" for the ones I left out side, orange wonder,cayenne, white habanero still producing under cover and whatever is in the chilli shake seeds and Birds Eye.

Last edited:
I will have surplus nuts, at the moment I am looking forward to the Broad beans which are in flower, a couple of years ago I would never have thought I would look forward to eating broad beans.
Have just about everything coming through now early spuds ready to harvest, next load of spuds Kestrel and Sapphire just starting to show. Cabbages Cauli and broccoli in the ground, tomatoes chilli eggplant and capsicums coming along nicely, outside Carolina reapers look dead inside one not happy but will survive.

That's something I am going to have to try the only way I have liked the broad beans so far is through the blender
Beetroot and shallots in for us. Love our roasted beets a real favourite.
Got shallots to put in and 68 little beetroot plants coming up, my wife can't do without pickled beetroot.

I will have surplus nuts, at the moment I am looking forward to the Broad beans which are in flower, a couple of years ago I would never have thought I would look forward to eating broad beans.
Have just about everything coming through now early spuds ready to harvest, next load of spuds Kestrel and Sapphire just starting to show. Cabbages Cauli and broccoli in the ground, tomatoes chilli eggplant and capsicums coming along nicely, outside Carolina reapers look dead inside one not happy but will survive.
Did you plant Kestrel potatoes from seed potato or eating potatoes they seem to keep well after harvest planted some 7 months after harvest last year kept too long but they seem to be going OK.

Latest posts

Back