Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shouldes are tough, gimme a leg anytime

Lamb shoulders are tender because all the muscles have to do is to hold the sheep up while it munches. The legs are tougher because those muscles are the ones they use when they are running frantically and jumping around, as sheep tend to do when they get disturbed by people going, ooh hello little lamby poos. Or dingoes. Or farmers. Or just about anything else.

After a slow roast the meat is so tender you should be able to just pull the bones straight out of the shoulder, perfectly clean.

On topic for food gardening, this will be served with squash and silverbeet from the garden, plus the usuals like potatoes.
Oh and that's me own rosemary.

lamb 4.jpg

I'll let this sit for an hour or so to "solidify" so it can be cut into proper slices which will be re-warmed in rich gravy made from the drippings.

Anyone a bit peckish yet?

Anyone a bit peckish yet?

Smoked lamb shoulder is great.

Had a salad today from the garden.
Wombok, snowpeas, chillies, spring onion, tomato, thai basil, eggplant, fennel and eggs - from the neighbour, in exchange for bananas.

cherry tomatoes 2.jpg

Today's pick. I gave the other quarter bucket to the guy over the road in exchange for limes.

Attachments

• cherry tomatoes 2.jpg
    cherry tomatoes 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 68
As expected the extra hour of sunlight from daylight saving has brought on the plants, going to have to start the cauli,cabbage broccoli etc a bit earlier,even though they are housed in a mesh house the heat still gets trapped in there. A couple of the Savoy cabbages have bolted, going to have to keep an eye on the cauli, Chinese broccoli is flowering but still good I like to chop up the stem and fry with garlic. Broad bean flowers have given way to beans and I have 12 Beef Steak tomatoes in now, runner and dwarf beans are up, the exotics are also up though to be expected only take 3 to 4 days for them to show.
Shallots and pickling onions coming on fine, forcing sea kale but only get one feed from that.
005.JPG 006.JPG 011.JPG 009.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG

Yeah, my lawn has gone nuts since daylight savings, it sure does love that extra hour of sunlight

Unfortunately it has been way too dry to start planting...3 mnths without rain is a bit much, and the recent amount we had has all but dissapaeared

Stu would it be possible to grow beetroot hereabouts over summer or is it more of a winter plant?

Been digging up lawn (hate lawn - if I owned the place, I'd hire an excavator and get rid of the lot in one go).

Got various tomatoes, zucchini, dwarf beans, climbing snow peas, basil, pumpkin, coriander, sweet corn and harlequin carrot seeds in over last 3 weeks. Lots of warm days, lots of rain, lots of new seedlings sprouting.

Also a few new strawberry varieties and another raspberry plant. If it's anything like my first spring/summer harvest come nov/dec, I should be close to dispensing with shop bought veg for a bit.

Le Corbusier : Grass is the enemy of the city

Actually, being on half an acre I quite like my lawn activities, keeps me fit mowing and yields masses of clippings for compost, mixed in with kitchen waste and cow poo, I reckon I've produced tonnes of the stuff over the last two years.
I'm a tenant as well, and sneakily expanded an existing bed into a veg garden. Then expanded it, then expanded it. Recently the owner came round to do some work on guttering, cast a quick eye over the veg garden and commented "oh I see you have green fingers"

Hmm... excavator, now you've got me thinking.

Bobcat with a road profiler if it can grind bitumen should have no problem with grass roots.

Swimming pool? Sneak that one in.:rolleyes:
LOGAN CITY Council This year, council officers launched a plan to write to owners of about 1400 properties where there was a discrepancy over pool registration. Officers said there were 1421 pools in the city not on council’s data base.

Been digging up lawn

When we moved in here there was (and still is) a solo avocado tree in the backyard on a 1/4 acre block and grass. Grass is stoopid.
Now: veggie patch, apples, bananas, three guavas, pineapple, passionfruit, acerola, pomegranate, pepper, vanilla, ginger, turmeric, galangal, figs, lemon, limes, finger limes, oranges, mandarins, passionfruit, davidson plum, paw paw, mango, chillies and stuff....

Le Corbusier : Grass is the enemy of the city

Actually, being on half an acre I quite like my lawn activities, keeps me fit mowing and yields masses of clippings for compost, mixed in with kitchen waste and cow poo, I reckon I've produced tonnes of the stuff over the last two years.
I'm a tenant as well, and sneakily expanded an existing bed into a veg garden. Then expanded it, then expanded it. Recently the owner came round to do some work on guttering, cast a quick eye over the veg garden and commented "oh I see you have green fingers"

Hmm... excavator, now you've got me thinking.
The only thing I don't put in my compost besides cat litter, is grass clippings. Our lawn is full of weeds, although maybe now that stuff breaks down in our compost so quickly (chockers full of worms, presumably good bacteria, etc) it might be time to try.

Any tips on pre-treating or just chuck straight in?

Back