Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harvesting kestrel potatoes planted August 1 took 3 weeks to start growing above ground potatoes where from ALDI may have planted a bit early as the could have chited more but wanted to plant before the weather heated up but heat came early in Brisbane .How do they workout days to harvest is that from when you see the potatoes if that is how its worked out then looks like it only took 2 months for the potatoes to grow which is very fast the kestrel potatoes produced very poorly only 2 or 3 good size potatoes on each plant the warm weather may have limited potato formation the kestrel potato may not like warm weather .

Try silver beet - steam to well wilted, heat frypan with good virgin olive oil, crushed garlic and chilli flakes. Add silver beet and stir through. Really delicious. (Do same with cooked Brussel sprouts, cut in half or quarters)

I do the exact same thing with broccoli. Divine with some freshly cooked rice.

Harvesting kestrel potatoes planted August 1 took 3 weeks to start growing above ground potatoes where from ALDI may have planted a bit early as the could have chited more but wanted to plant before the weather heated up but heat came early in Brisbane .How do they workout days to harvest is that from when you see the potatoes if that is how its worked out then looks like it only took 2 months for the potatoes to grow which is very fast the kestrel potatoes produced very poorly only 2 or 3 good size potatoes on each plant the warm weather may have limited potato formation the kestrel potato may not like warm weather .
You have to keep the water up to spuds and they are a cooler climate veg, I dug up one of my kestrel potatoes the other day, they definitely are a quick potato and I would be happy to see the tubers available to home gardeners. Good amount from one plant and very tasty.
001.JPG

You have to keep the water up to spuds and they are a cooler climate veg, I dug up one of my kestrel potatoes the other day, they definitely are a quick potato and I would be happy to see the tubers available to home gardeners. Good amount from one plant and very tasty.
View attachment 109196
Your in Victoria have seen quoted before how well they produce in Victoria compared to Brisbane but think its a bad year for potatoes in Brisbane.

View attachment 109196

Do you grow your spuds in one of those grow bag thingies? The look like a good idea for saving space and your back.

Sent off an email to the seed potato suppliers in SA about the Kestrel spuds and availability for home gardeners, got no reply, will try Diggers and Green Harvest see if they can get them. There is another pommie one called Swift planting to lifting is approximately 7 weeks.
Did a post somewhere about the world shortage of phosphate, we are on the brink of phosphate being mined out and Monash Uni has been doing experiments with thousands of species of plants and the effect of the lack of phosphate, results are dwarfed plants which are packed with cyanide (survival mode) and the sorghum produced enough cyanide to kill a cow.
Amazing how plants can produce cyanide so easily, and how so many plants are toxic, even fungi producing poisons and their roots hardly penetrate the soil. I have a plant in my back yard that if you laid underneath it for 5 to 10 minutes you would die.
Beware the plants.

Sent off an email to the seed potato suppliers in SA about the Kestrel spuds and availability for home gardeners, got no reply, will try Diggers and Green Harvest see if they can get them. There is another pommie one called Swift planting to lifting is approximately 7 weeks.
Did a post somewhere about the world shortage of phosphate, we are on the brink of phosphate being mined out and Monash Uni has been doing experiments with thousands of species of plants and the effect of the lack of phosphate, results are dwarfed plants which are packed with cyanide (survival mode) and the sorghum produced enough cyanide to kill a cow.
Amazing how plants can produce cyanide so easily, and how so many plants are toxic, even fungi producing poisons and their roots hardly penetrate the soil. I have a plant in my back yard that if you laid underneath it for 5 to 10 minutes you would die.
Beware the plants.
Kestrel, another Scottish variety Elders bought the rights to and sublicensed to a couple of growers

Just a slight note of caution to any budding wicking bedders. I noticed since planting out a few summer veg, they seemed to be doing it tough. Took a PH sample test yesterday and came back with a reading of around 8, so basically depriving the more neutral / acid fancying veg of nutrients. My best guess if that I used recycled concrete for the aggregate, neglected to wash it, and now the residual lime in the cement dust is doing what lime does to soil. Got busy with the Yates liquid sulfur, so we'll see how it goes.
I might ad, all the cruciferous stuff and leafy greens had no issues. But who wants to eat kale year round..

Sulfur will fix it as will diluted vinegar, had a similar problem with Lilydale toppings and an acid loving Rhododendron.
How old are your wicker beds now Dave?

round nine months old. About a 50/50 mix of decomposed stable manure and premium garden mix for the soil. The fact that its been the driest winter since 2009, actually, stuff all rain whatsoever round my way, and the fact that wicking beds 'wick' I'm tipping would have aggravated it due to the soil not getting the occasional rinsing.
I've hooked up a rainwater tank (we're on town water) for my garden irrigation - and beer - and giving the beds a spray every other day. As far as I know the sulfur need to be broken down by the bacteria in the soil and can be a bit of a lengthy process.

I think you have to use acid to get a quick change sulfur, phosphoric or nitric but would have to be dilute .With that PH clubroots not going to be a problem .

One bed has pretty much run its course and needs to be replanted anyway so I'll be yanking everything this weekend and going with the dilute vinegar fix also. About a cup per 3.7L seems to be the rate.

Latest posts

Back