Font Disconnects - Which Ones?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quickie, but does anyone have a run down on how to re-do the lines in a flooded font? Would be really helpful as I've just got mine.....

Cheers

Just a quickie, but does anyone have a run down on how to re-do the lines in a flooded font? Would be really helpful as I've just got mine.....

Cheers

Flooded Font hey Nick???? :beerbang: I think a trip to Kingas/Nanango is on the cards... ;)

CB

Here are some pics of a Hoshizaki Lancer fount and flooding kit.

First pic business end.
Shown is (from front to fount)
Fount Insert 3/4BSP SS (Tap adaptor screws into this)
Bush Scalloped SS 3/4BSP (Welded to fount)
Not Shown:
Olive internal SS 4mm Riser (Pushed into end of riser line)
Insert Nut brass allbar fount (Goes over the riser line to push the line and olive into the back of the fount insert)
06112009405.jpg

Visible in this pic from left to right is:
Kinko Nut 1-1/2BSP
Flooding kit
Seal Rubber H23B (Around riser line just visible between the 2 brass plates. The brass plates squeeze the oring to make a seal with the riser line)
ORing BS127 (Large Oring that seals the flooding kit to the large nipple tube)
Cobra nipple tube 1-1/2BSP (Fixing support for fount)
Flanged back nut 1-1/2BSP
Not shown is large gal washer that goes between the flanged nut and the underside bar.
06112009408.jpg

The entire shebang assembled.
NB The method of attaching the cobra nipple tube to the fount is left to the fabricator, you could machine the threads off and silver solder brass to stainless without issue.
06112009406.jpg

Lefty

Excellent that explains a lot. I'm a WHOLE lot less confused than I was last night (thank goodness for that!)

1 question that still remains. These fonts are the main pipes/tubes 3" (76mm) or 4" (101mm) obviously if they are one I cant use the other because the scalloped bush wont suit.

Cheers

What sort of fount is it NickB?

Lefty

Excellent that explains a lot. I'm a WHOLE lot less confused than I was last night (thank goodness for that!)

1 question that still remains. These fonts are the main pipes/tubes 3" (76mm) or 4" (101mm) obviously if they are one I cant use the other because the scalloped bush wont suit.

3". if you were to use 4" tube then you would have to hand grind the scalloped bush to suit the new tube radius. For illustrative purposes the pics in that other post were of a 3" fount.

Lefty

What sort of fount is it NickB?

Lefty

Not sure of the manufacturer, but it's a 5 tap flooded font with lockin adaptors.

View attachment 32741

When you screw the adaptors off the font, there is a sort of plastic circular insert (which I can't seem to remove), with a hole in the centre for the beer, and two smaller holes around the outside (not all the way through though).

View attachment 32740

Have got the line end of the font sorted, but can't work out how to get either the lines out of the adaptors, or either of the ends off (the caps are off, but there are some brass (?) inserts that I can't work out, both have what looks like threaded screw holes part way through....)

View attachment 32742

Cheers

I'm guessing that you will need to manufacture yourself a special tool to unscrew the plastic plugs behind the tap adaptors.

Did the threaded hole on the ends support the end cap?

Why do you wish to install new riser lines in the fount? What is wrong with the current ones?

Adrian

Hi,

I'm replacing the beer lines, not sure if this is the riser line you're referring to, or wether it's the glycol line. Either way, the beer lines very old and has been removed right at the base of the unit, plus I'm needing around 4-5m of line/tap....

As for the end caps, they just screwed off, and did not touch the brass insert. Not sure what the go is with the ends, but my main concern is replacing the beer line....

Cheers

Nick,
My understanding is the "riser lines" refers to the beer lines coming from the bottom of the font "rising" up the font to the outlet points.
I think what Lefty is saying is that you will need to manufacture some kind of tool with two pins to insert into those outter holes of that plastic insert to unscrew them out to replace the riser lines.
One thing - its fairly normal for the riser lines to stop at the bottom of the font where you would then normally connect your beer lines or python line to the riser lines using john guest or similar fittings?
Hope that helps

Cheers,
Kirk

Yeah, have given up on replacing them for now. Will just grab some john guest fittings and go from there :)

Thanks all or your help

Cheers

Yes, sorry. The beer lines inside the fount are called 'riser' lines and are usually only 0.5 - 1m longer than the bottom of the fount. you then adapt / attach to your regular beer lines with reducing splicers.

I have never seen the inside of one of those founts & therefore would only be guessing (as you are ;) ) If the lines coming out the bottom are long enough for JG splicers then I'd seriously recommend leaving it at that, Unless someone else chimes in with specific information.

Adrian

holy fricken hell its christmas!

Parts for my font just arrived in the post. WOW!

Between my mill and now these font parts I've given the CC (thankfully its a debit card I'd be in a lot of trouble if I still had a real credit card) a workout over the last few weeks - told the missus were living off bread and water for the next few weeks :p

holy fricken hell its christmas!

Parts for my font just arrived in the post. WOW!

Between my mill and now these font parts I've given the CC (thankfully its a debit card I'd be in a lot of trouble if I still had a real credit card) a workout over the last few weeks - told the missus were living off bread and water for the next few weeks :p

well wheres the pretty pictures? :beerbang:

Tonight I'll get pics of the parts.

Wont be able to assemble it for a few weeks as my mate whos the stainless welder (you'd think with a workshop with 11 boiler makers and 3 welders I'd have someone in the workshop who could weld stainless here at work... actually the biggest problem is a few of them can we just dont have tig and our migs are all set up for heavy mild steel) is away for a few weeks

Latest posts

Back