First time using hop flowers.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
About to dry hop some galaxy flowers. Should I be using the same amount as pellets? Chucked straight into the fermentor like pellets ok?

Yeah, I would but in a hop bag for flowers.

I dont think there is a great difference in strength per weight but i think flowers taste better.

I read around and the magci figure seemed to be add 10% for flowers over pellets.

Yep, use a bag, they will clog you tap and your bottling/kegging will grind to a halt.

JD

I'll do a hop stand as usual for me now instead of dry hopping.
For flowers that means a bazooka filter thingamy on the inside of my keggle. You need the bazooka or you'll get stuck.
Hop stand is after end of boil when the wort has cooled to 80c or less then add the dry hop addition and let it sit at around 70 to 75c for 30min or more then chill down to pitch temp. The wort then drained clear and fermented. My proffered method anyway. No post ferment additions.

Or if you do dry hop in a sock make sure its weighted to submerge the entire sock. All sanitary measures taken etc.

Danscraftbeer said:
For flowers that means a bazooka filter thingamy on the inside of my keggle. You need the bazooka or you'll get stuck.
Hop stand is after end of boil when the wort has cooled to 80c or less then add the dry hop addition and let it sit at around 70 to 75c for 30min or more then chill down to pitch temp. The wort then drained clear and fermented. My proffered method anyway. No post ferment additions.
I have no doubt that steeping hops below the isomerisation range gives you decent hop flavour and aroma, but it will add a different characteristic to dry hops for the volume and variety of hops added.

Personally I use flowers at the volume I'd use pellets for dry hops; they don't seem to clog my racking arm or tap even when free but just to be safe I tend to enclose them in a loose muslin cloth with a stainless steel nut to hold it below the surface. For optimal aroma I aim to dry hop at ~17deg C for at least 5 days.

Cummy said:
About to dry hop some galaxy flowers. Should I be using the same amount as pellets? Chucked straight into the fermentor like pellets ok?

Reman said:
I read around and the magci figure seemed to be add 10% for flowers over pellets.
The 10% figure is used to acount for the slightly better iso alpha acid utilisation figures achieved when bittering with pellet hops over whole cones.

Since the iso contribution from dry hopping is effectively zip, it doesn't apply here. IMO there's a slightly greater aromatic impact from using whole cones, at least when the beer is fresh. The aromas from whole cones also seem to me to fade a bit faster.

Danscraftbeer said:

Or if you do dry hop in a sock make sure its weighted to submerge the entire sock. All sanitary measures taken etc.
What's your reasoning behind not dry hopping, Danny? I tend to use a combination of 'hop stand' and dry hop.

rbtmc said:
What's your reasoning behind not dry hopping, Danny? I tend to use a combination of 'hop stand' and dry hop.
Its mostly a slight phobia about infection possibilities. Opening fermenters and throwing stuff in. I do dry hop in the keg sometimes and have had great results though that's the only way I do it. In a weighted hop sock that's been boiled for ~15minutes to sanitize.

Now I'm kegmenting and co2 transfers into serving kegs. The beer never gets exposed I really like that idea so I'm trying to get basically the same results out of hop stands as a substitute for dry hopping. The finishing hops being heat pasteurized/sanitary etc and there's a clean clearer wort all the way with no hop matter muck or floaties. Just my preferred method now.

Latest posts

Back