First starter = broken erlenmeyer flask. Any suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solipsist

Reaction score
Hi.

I was having a go at a starter for the first time and managed to break a flask. Hopefully someone can tell me where I went wrong. And maybe recommend a better brand flask.

I boiled the wort last night (150g LDME in 1500ml water) in the erlenmeyer flask, with a foil lid in place. I let it cool overnight, and pitched liquid Wyeast 1056 this morning. Gave it a good shake with the foil lid in place, and went to work. When I got home the starter looked good - it looked like fermentation was well under way. I picked up the flask, gave it a good shake for a few seconds, and watched the foam on top grow and start to rise up to the foil lid. As I was doing that, the bottom of the flask broke out.

That was completely unexpected and luckily I was over a bowl to catch the starter (now down the sink). I not only lost the flask but also $10+ worth of yeast and malt so it's bloody annoying. There are some photos attached.

Did I do something wrong? Should I have removed the foil lid before shaking? I cant imagine there was much pressure, and I would have thought that the foil lid would have popped off before the flask broke.

The flask was the Glacier brand from Wiltronics (http://www.wiltronics.com.au/catalogue/108861/science/flasks/erlenmeyer-flask-gg17-borosilicate)

Does anyone have a better place to get a 2L Erlenmeyer?

Thanks.

IMG_8387.jpg

IMG_8388.jpg

IMG_8391.jpg

IMG_8392.jpg

IMG_8393.jpg

That shouldn't happen, I'd be inclined to get in touch with the supplier.

I use Schott Duran from www.digitalhomebrew.com. So far so good, but every time I handle it with boiling liquid, it feels as though I'm playing Russian Roulette.

solipsist said:
Hi.

I was having a go at a starter for the first time and managed to break a flask. Hopefully someone can tell me where I went wrong. And maybe recommend a better brand flask.

I boiled the wort last night (150g LDME in 1500ml water) in the erlenmeyer flask, with a foil lid in place. I let it cool overnight, and pitched liquid Wyeast 1056 this morning. Gave it a good shake with the foil lid in place, and went to work. When I got home the starter looked good - it looked like fermentation was well under way. I picked up the flask, gave it a good shake for a few seconds, and watched the foam on top grow and start to rise up to the foil lid. As I was doing that, the bottom of the flask broke out.

That was completely unexpected and luckily I was over a bowl to catch the starter (now down the sink). I not only lost the flask but also $10+ worth of yeast and malt so it's bloody annoying. There are some photos attached.

Did I do something wrong? Should I have removed the foil lid before shaking? I cant imagine there was much pressure, and I would have thought that the foil lid would have popped off before the flask broke.

The flask was the Glacier brand from Wiltronics (http://www.wiltronics.com.au/catalogue/108861/science/flasks/erlenmeyer-flask-gg17-borosilicate)

Does anyone have a better place to get a 2L Erlenmeyer?

Thanks.
You obviously need ninja proof flasks. Or just buy quality.
Ask the supplier for a response to your problem .
Hope it works out for you.
Nev

Yob said:
location?
Down one side, not far from the bottom by the looks of it. <_< (sorry)

I've got a collection of erlenmeyer's of varying quality and haven't had any do that. Even after transferring from gas top to cold water. I wonder if the crack started after chilling and the pressure from shaking set it off. Was there a stirbar in there?

Black Devil Dog said:
I use Schott Duran from www.digitalhomebrew.com. So far so good, but every time I handle it with boiling liquid, it feels as though I'm playing Russian Roulette.
This is what I use. Designed to withstand temperature shock. I am rough with my gear and have not managed to destroy it. This is what you want OP.

:icon_offtopic: (kinda).... always slide the stir bar in is what Ive been told, can lead to cracks breakages.

The brand I use is Simax (wide mouthed) and have never had an issue with them either, slightly more expensive than those you linked but the store is just round the corner from me so... ha sip ha sip (50/50)

Mine are all keg kings and work well.

there was a post on here a while back about a flask cracking when being heated on gas similar to what you heated yours on and it let go, just per chance by looking at the photos roughly where its cracked isn't about where one of the metal trivets on your cook top was?

Yob said:
location?
Brisbane.

Black Devil Dog said:
That shouldn't happen, I'd be inclined to get in touch with the supplier.

Thanks for the suggestion BDD. I'll look into the Schott or maybe try handling a few different brands and picking the heftiest. I was a bit sus on the thickness of the glass of my flask, and I even emailed Wiltronics to make sure it was suitable for what I was using it for.

Online Brewing Supplies said:
You obviously need ninja proof flasks. Or just buy quality.
Ask the supplier for a response to your problem .
Hope it works out for you.
Nev
Thanks Nev. I've emailed Wiltronics for a response and hopefully a replacement. Do you sell something you reckon would do the trick?

Camo6 said:
Down one side, not far from the bottom by the looks of it. <_< (sorry)

I've got a collection of erlenmeyer's of varying quality and haven't had any do that. Even after transferring from gas top to cold water. I wonder if the crack started after chilling and the pressure from shaking set it off. Was there a stirbar in there?
No stirbar (yet). I reckon there must have been a flaw and the small buildup of pressure killed it. Still a bit surprised the glass broke before the foil moved to relieve the pressure though.

rehabs_for_quitters said:
there was a post on here a while back about a flask cracking when being heated on gas similar to what you heated yours on and it let go, just per chance by looking at the photos roughly where its cracked isn't about where one of the metal trivets on your cook top was?
I can't be sure if it lines up with one of the trivets, but I think ill use the smaller burners in the future to make sure all the flame is well and truly under the bottom of the flask (slightly thicker glass). None of the flame was on the side of the flask this time, but maybe the flame was still too close to the curve in the glass?

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I've got another quick question with regards to making a starter. Is there a difference between adding LDME to room temp water and boiling the whole lot in the erlenmeyer, compared to adding the LDME to already boiling water?

Thanks.

Only in that it won't clump in cold water, I tend to use cold water to dissolve then add boiling water, then on the stove.

Not really. The steam from boiling water will make the dry malt stick to the rim of the flask and trust me, that's a p.i.t.a.

I dissolve mine in a jug first and add it to the flask once dissolved.

Yob said:
:icon_offtopic: (kinda).... always slide the stir bar in is what Ive been told, can lead to cracks breakages.

The brand I use is Simax (wide mouthed) and have never had an issue with them either, slightly more expensive than those you linked but the store is just round the corner from me so... ha sip ha sip (50/50)
I'll remember that next time Yob. Where did you get the Simax?

I think it was to do with heat build up on the metal trivet causing more heat and stress on the glass or something to that effect, I can't find the post at the moment though

Yob said:
Only in that it won't clump in cold water, I tend to use cold water to dissolve then add boiling water, then on the stove.

Black Devil Dog said:
Not really. The steam from boiling water will make the dry malt stick to the rim of the flask and trust me, that's a p.i.t.a.

I dissolve mine in a jug first and add it to the flask once dissolved.
I'll try that next time. I got the sticky rim this time and, well, nobody likes a sticky rim.

rehabs_for_quitters said:
I think it was to do with heat build up on the metal trivet causing more heat and stress on the glass or something to that effect, I can't find the post at the moment though
Hmm. I would have thought they'd be designed to handle that. I wonder what the "normal" way to heat them is, in a lab or whatever. A ring support, or support from the neck, or a heating plate or something?

I had exactly the same flask from wiltronics. The first one had cracks in it ( small fractures i suspect from manufacturing)

Wiltronics replaced it, but i dont think i will ever buy glacier brand again. I now boil my starters outside rather than inside just by the off chance she decides to go.

Schott duran would be my next purchase

Latest posts

Back