First starter = broken erlenmeyer flask. Any suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly the best way to heat is by placing on a wire gauze so the heat is distributed evenly

I've shaken a flask with a stirbar in it and managed to put a hole in it.

Felt like a bit of a fanny so I'll not be doing that again.....

I have a mixture from budget Kegkings to better quality Simax from Science Supply Australia and Schott Duran from Full Pint. The latter two are much higher quality than the KK ones but haven't had dramas with any of them. I'd try and get a refund.

http://www.labtek.com.au

These guys are in Brendale, North Brisbane and supply schott duran. I've got the 500ml and 2L and although they haven't seen much use yet the 2L went from boiling to ice bath without any problems (think I still gave it 5 min before doing the plunge). They also stock a generic brand for a bit cheaper but from memory the schott duran wasn't that expansive.

They also stock stir bars

Try $4 plastic mini bucket with lid from a cheap shop. Brewed up many a good yeast, give it a shake a couple of times a day. Keep it filled with Starsan solution between batches.

LiquidGold said:
went from boiling to ice bath without any problems (think I still gave it 5 min before doing the plunge). They also stock a generic brand for a bit cheaper but from memory the schott duran wasn't that expansive.
Schott Duran have two main types of flasks. A heavy duty and a standard, I believe both are available in narrow and wide neck.

We only stock the standard, as it's the only flask that is recommended going from direct flame straight to ice bath. The heavy duty is thicker and can potentially crack when transferred between the two extremes.

Narrow necks are good for condensing vapour, wide necks make it a bit easier to get your DME in.

I said fvck it and got a schott bottle (simax brand and keg king).

So many uses. Even used as a growler...

I got a small kk schott bottle and the ass dropped out on its first chill :-( . Should've returned it but never did.

Yoooo!

Schott Duran/Schott is a brand. Erlenmeyer is the type of flask.

You can't have a Schott KK flask ;)

I got a response from Wiltronics that might interest people here: "If you put any flask, any branded flask straight on a flame, it will break like that. In this case you've created the problem, and therefore it's broken".

That seems to be at odds with what I have read elsewhere, and I'll be pointing that out to them, but I don't reckon I'll be getting a replacement from them. Not very happy about that at all. Looks like the brands they stock are rubbish anyway, so I guess I'll just have to buy a Schott.

They are designed to go on a flame - e.g. bunsen burner.

It is electric elements that can cause problems.

I've used my simax on both and haven't had problems.

Spiesy said:
Yoooo!

Schott Duran/Schott is a brand. Erlenmeyer is the type of flask.

You can't have a Schott KK flask ;)
Haha! I was waiting for that one. I can't recall but I thought they were labelled that at KK or maybe I've just retained another untruth from the internet :-o . The one that broke on me was a 500ml graduated bottle with a threaded lid. Let's just call it a bottle!

I'd dare not confuse them with my FP schott duran erlenmeyers which make the wifes villeroy and boch look like melted sand. :-D

Edit: google tells me it's a reagent bottle. Tut mir leid.

solipsist said:
I got a response from Wiltronics that might interest people here: "If you put any flask, any branded flask straight on a flame, it will break like that. In this case you've created the problem, and therefore it's broken".

That seems to be at odds with what I have read elsewhere, and I'll be pointing that out to them, but I don't reckon I'll be getting a replacement from them. Not very happy about that at all. Looks like the brands they stock are rubbish anyway, so I guess I'll just have to buy a Schott.
I would challenge them as borosilicate glass (if manufactured to standards) should be able to withstand heat from a direct flame - these flasks are made in india and conform to which standard? Australian standards?

Speak to Fair Trading and get some advice, your seller will quickly change their tune once you mention that (funny how that happens)

In any sense they are obligated by law to replace any faulty product

jaypes said:
I would challenge them as borosilicate glass (if manufactured to standards) should be able to withstand heat from a direct flame - these flasks are made in india and conform to which standard? Australian standards?

Speak to Fair Trading and get some advice, your seller will quickly change their tune once you mention that (funny how that happens)

In any sense they are obligated by law to replace any faulty product
They're EXTREMELY cheap flasks at that store.

Not sure what sort of quality is expected at that price.

Edit, and nowhere does the listing claim that these flasks can withstand that sort of temperature shock.

I have one of these flasks from wiltronics and it has been fine.. I must admit though, I do not use a gas burner on the glass.. and am always sure to *slowly* heat or cool the flask to make sure it doesn't bust. Glass needs to breathe over time, and maybe you got an old flask which when stunned with high temperature, then cold it just smashed.

If I am adding boiling water to the flask, I make sure I rinse/rest it in hot tap water.. and make sure I leave it for a considerable amount of time after boiling if I am transferring liquid or even touching it.

solipsist said:

What a load of BS. If it's an Erlenmeyer flask it's designed to be put on a naked flame - I think your mileage will vary if you use an electric hotplate due to the potential for asymmetric distribution of heat on the thing (resulting in it breaking). They are very tough (ie naked flame to cold water without breaking) but brittle - if you knock it against a hard surface be prepared for it to break. Sounds like yours is a crap brand and/or had a manufacturing defect. There is no way the 'pressure' from you shaking it resulted in it breaking.

Buy a 3L one from a reputable science supply place, they shouldn't be too hard to find near you.

WitWonder said:
What a load of BS. If it's an Erlenmeyer flask it's designed to be put on a naked flame - I think your mileage will vary if you use an electric hotplate due to the potential for asymmetric distribution of heat on the thing (resulting in it breaking). They are very tough (ie naked flame to cold water without breaking) but brittle - if you knock it against a hard surface be prepared for it to break. Sounds like yours is a crap brand and/or had a manufacturing defect. There is no way the 'pressure' from you shaking it resulted in it breaking.

Buy a 3L one from a reputable science supply place, they shouldn't be too hard to find near you.
Don't u remember us smashing Corning glass in the lab in school.... Amazing over a burner/bath, absolutely crap if impacted by anything. Essentially why I use the reagent bottles, thicker and should not be temp shocked but can be safely heated gradually and also handle knocks very well.

Back