First Hydrometerreading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't matter how cold VB is, it would still taste bloody awful.
Very true.... but I think I might get one down on a 45c day standing over a hot BBQ, if nothing else was available. I just hope that day never comes

A couple of points.
First off there really is not that much wrong with VB, now it may not be my drink of choice but an average ihatevbmegaswillgomullet homebrew is not either.
Back to the OP. At the temperature you quote and the SG using US05 your beer should gave fermented out in 2-3 days, if it has not and your gravity is as you indicate then you have some major problems, most likely yeast management. This your first beer and of course you worry so just bottle and learn, taste it alongside a commercial example of the beer you want to brew, compare and learn.
It is all very easy.

K

Bottle a kit brew at 1019?

Really?

Might be a while since you bottled drK and I do respect your experience in the main but I think that is poor advice.

I don't know what's in German Lager Enhancer but I reckon the brew should finish about 1013 if it's a "normal" brew enhancer.

US05 has been very forgiving for me and finishes in 4 days or so. I like the Glad Wrap top so I can see when the krausen falls and invariably fermentation has finished. I calculate my OG and FG before brewing and just watch the brew and confirm I have hit FG before bottling which is 10 to 14 days after putting the brew down for me.

I think 1018 is a bit high considering the ingredients.

Damian.

Bottle a kit brew at 1019?

Really?

Might be a while since you bottled drK and I do respect your experience in the main but I think that is poor advice.
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want to be bottling if there's that much sugar still in solution. Hand grenades.

Robbie, if your readings are accurate, give the fermenter a good swirl (to put more yeast back into suspension) and perhaps take it up to 19 or 20 degrees for a day or so, and see if you experience more attenuation (i.e. a lower gravity).

i took another reading this morning (couldnt help myself). Initially it read 1018 (same as yesterday).

i gave the hydrometer a 'twirl' and it gave me another reading of 1015, which is starting to look much better :)

I gave the fermenter a light stir and will take another reading in 2 days, hopefully it will drop a little.

After 10 days in the fermenter, the hydrometer is reading is 1013.

So even after 10 days in the fermenter, the reading is dropping gradually.

Must just decide when to bottle, will probs give it another 3 days or so.

Don't bottle until it has stopped dropping robbie, especially if you're using glass bottles. There are some nasty pictures around here of people that have had a bottle bomb go off in their hand.

After 10 days in the fermenter, the hydrometer is reading is 1013.

So even after 10 days in the fermenter, the reading is dropping gradually.

I take a reading and then wait 2 more days to check it is still the same. If gravity is stable, wait 2 more days then bottle. Within reason, there is no reason to rush getting the beer out of the fermeter and into bottles. I wait a minimum of two weeks (sometimes more depending on the beer) before I even think about bottling.

yep 2 weeks is a good middle of the road time.

Generally the added time will give you the following bonuses.

Fermented out completely
Clears up
Yeast can clean up after themselves and put some "age" on it.

Day 12 and gravity reading is 1012, so a small drop since the last reading 2 days ago (which was 1013)

Latest posts

Back