First American IPA - tips?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrillho

Reaction score
Howdy brewers,

Bottling a blonde ale tomorrow, then going to double header the day with my first IPA - of the American variety.

I've been reading bits and pieces so I have done my research, and I finally settled on this recipe. Just wondering for those new to brewing IPAs, what should we be doing different to a standard APA, Bitter, blonde... etc?

Feel free to make changes to the recipe so I can adjust it next time, or help out others.

I will be bottling, so it should bump up the ABV% a tick, but also too, all my AG beers so far have fermented down to between 1.006 and 1.008, regardless of my target FG.

Last time I made up my own recipe (a Cascade/Zythos APA, and admittedly by second ever BIAB), it ended up a shocker, so any comments appreciated!

citra.png

Looks like you're doing BIAB. Bear in mind that bigger IPA grain bills will often involve a drop in efficiency.

Looks nice, good hops for it... Just my personal opinion is not enough in the late kettle and dry, I would be doubling flameout and dry additions. Again my personal thoughts only! :)

Edit: I'd reckon using Citra for bittering additions is a waste for that hop variety. Grab something like Chinook, Magnum or Northern Brewer for first additions.

I'm with BeerNess. Up the late additions and change the 60 min. I'd up the grist too to keep the ratio around 1.00.

just my 2 cents chinook is so awesome for your early addition, maybe every try some galaxy ( my personal fav atm). Enjoy it bro this is an awesome style of beer that will get you hooked!!

I'd change for a more neutral 60 min addition... Magnum was a good suggestion (I use it quite frequently), as was the increased 10 min addition. In my AIPA's I like a nice bit of bittering ~60 IBU's, and a bunch of late addition hops.

Have been playing around with dry hopping @ crash chilling for the aroma, but only done it about three times with (so far) good results.

I've done a AIPA a few times with a fairly close hopping schedule to yours (magnum instead for bittering) Mashed @ 67 for 70, mashed out @ 78 for 10.. 90 min boil time and it has worked well.

Cheers

Drop the cmII to <5%, chuck all the hops in at whirlpool. 7% 70 BU is the standard. Am in SoCal at the moment, almost necked myself on Alpine and Alesmith on the weekend ... dunno how I still have a pulse ...

Proffs said:
I'm with BeerNess. Up the late additions and change the 60 min. I'd up the grist too to keep the ratio around 1.00.
Ended up getting the ratio to 1.01, so I'm happy with that.

timmi9191 said:
+1 for proffs suggestion.
Get all your ibu from 10 minute additions. Match OG to ibu
Ended up getting some Galaxy for my 60 minute addition, that'll free up the Citra for later additions or dry hopping.

Thanks all for the suggestions, about to get stuck in so I'll keep you all updated!

That or scrap the 60 minute and flameout additions and just chuck my 10g Galaxy, 20g Amarillo and 40g of Citra in at 10 minutes?

That still leaves 1g/L of Citra for the dry hop, whilst having 54IBU from the late additions... thoughts?

/// said:
Drop the cmII to <5%, chuck all the hops in at whirlpool. 7% 70 BU is the standard. Am in SoCal at the moment, almost necked myself on Alpine and Alesmith on the weekend ... dunno how I still have a pulse ...
My two favourite breweries, just made an Alpine Duet clone on Friday, it's one awesome beer and i'm hoping I can get close.

That beer is really unbalanced. You have the right amount of IBUs for an IPA but your alcohol is barely enough for an APA. You need to bump your fermentables up to get you at least 6%, No need to change anything else.

Latest posts

Back