Finishing Off A Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezza79

Reaction score
this is just a quick simple question.

after having just set up my digitally controlled ferment fridge i am onto racking my first lager into a secondary, diacetyl rest almost complete.
my question is, after its time in the secondary do i then go to cold condition stage while in secondary or is this done in the keg?

thanks.....jeremy

My 2 "systems" are:
If lagering for less than a month, lager in a cube then keg.
If lagering for more than a month (which I have only done for comps), lager in a keg to avoid problems such as possible oxygen permeation through the plastic (maybe this is a myth like HSA etc). However expect to get more crappy first runnings out of the keg as all the detritus remains trapped there.

In any case I can lager at an accurate -1 in my kegmate-style lager fridge so I can achieve in three or four weeks what might take a couple of months in a 2 domestic fridge. If you are a serious lager maker you really need to get down to that -1.

If I can fit it in an 18L keg, in it goes.
If not, in the fermenter it stays.
Depends on which vessel you don't mind tying up.
For that matter, you could put it back in the cube if need be.

thanks for that, think i might just cold crash it in the secondary for a couple of weeks then keg it.

Latest posts

Back