Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 116149
These vessels stand can also be flipped and used without the collection jar. I like to take off the valve handle when doing this to avoid accidentally dumping sweet liquid gold on the ground. You can use the edges of the slightly larger stand as a handle to take it in and out of a fridge. You can also rest the vessel on the collection while full of wort doing this. It is not made of flexible plastic like the body, but instead durable, strong Tritan plastic. Just don’t drop it on hard surfaces or knock the posts off and you’ll be sweet.View attachment 116150
Well for what it costs I reckon its better to grab a snub nose for $55 less and not have to do all these acrobatics. Maybe they will do a snub nose zilla? No chance of liquid gold in the frisbee or on the floor.

Put my first batch of beer into my new Fermzilla yesterday, a gluten free stout which was a real pain to brew BTW! Thankfully the transfer and everything else about the Fermzilla was nice and easy. Discovered that it's pretty easy to over tighten the fittings on the unit, hand tightening is enough but those carbonation caps are slippery buggers. Overall, much better than the Fermentasaurus (which I was borrowing off my brother), I used to have a real problem transferring from my kettle to that unit, the Fermzilla just sits at a height I can work with for the transfer which is nice.

Anyway, I'm happy with my purchase, there are a lot of solutions out there, just do your own research and find what works best for you! :)

I'm about to put on a gluten free stout Brewzilla/Fermzilla. Why was the brew a pain? Any tips to share to make it not a pain?

If you really want to temp control the FermZilla - Conical Unitank without a fridge then this coil is one option for you:

Temp Twister - Stainless Coil
https://www.kegland.com.au/temp-twi...zilla-or-kegmenter-with-a-glycol-chiller.html

If you use this coil in conjunction with one of these jackets it might be the solution you are looking for.
https://www.kegland.com.au/jacket-for-27l-fermzilla.html

With that said if you really want a fermenter to fit into your smaller Series 4 Kegerator we have two other shorter designs that will be available in a couple months and these have no dump valve.

It will not have a cone like the Snub Nose because the cone in this product makes no sense. So in a couple months time we have a range of flat Bottom FermZilla units that we will sell for about $20-30 and these will not hold much pressure (less than 5psi). Then we also have a new range of FermZilla that have dome top and bottom and a stand and this unit holds about 3bar so it can be used like a keg or fermenter and this unit will be about $60-70 approximately and available in sizes from 30-55L. So this is probably what I would recommend you purchase if you really want a fermenter to fit into your Series 4 Keg Fridge. Otherwise if you can wait for the dedicated fermentation fridge then you should be able to purchase this at the end of this year.

It will not have a cone like the Snub Nose because the cone in this product makes no sense. So in a couple months time we have a range of flat Bottom FermZilla units that we will sell for about $20-30 and these will not hold much pressure (less than 5psi). Then we also have a new range of FermZilla that have dome top and bottom and a stand and this unit holds about 3bar so it can be used like a keg or fermenter and this unit will be about $60-70 approximately and available in sizes from 30-55L. So this is probably what I would recommend you purchase if you really want a fermenter to fit into your Series 4 Keg Fridge. Otherwise if you can wait for the dedicated fermentation fridge then you should be able to purchase this at the end of this year.[/QUOTE]

Not having a cone like the snub nose makes no sense? A flat bottom FermZilla makes sense? Doesn't hold pressure? A domed bottom FermZilla makes sense?
Priority is to get the FermZilla out into the market place without dents, now that makes sense.

If you really want to temp control the FermZilla - Conical Unitank without a fridge then this coil is one option for you:

Temp Twister - Stainless Coil
https://www.kegland.com.au/temp-twi...zilla-or-kegmenter-with-a-glycol-chiller.html

If you use this coil in conjunction with one of these jackets it might be the solution you are looking for.
https://www.kegland.com.au/jacket-for-27l-fermzilla.html

When is the "Temp Twister" going to be available and will there be a jacket available in the future for the 55L?

Not having a cone like the snub nose makes no sense?
Lots of wasted space creates an unnecessarily high fermenter

A flat bottom FermZilla makes sense?
Yes, as above

Doesn't hold pressure?
Good thing you only like ~2psi, sounds like it would suit you perfectly

A domed bottom FermZilla makes sense?
This I agree with, not quite sure what the goal is yet

I would imagine a domed bottom would allow for beer to pool at the bottom easier, might even be good for a corny keg replacement..? Would be good if they were stackable with easy access to the beer/gas posts..

It will not have a cone like the Snub Nose because the cone in this product makes no sense. So in a couple months time we have a range of flat Bottom FermZilla units that we will sell for about $20-30 and these will not hold much pressure (less than 5psi). Then we also have a new range of FermZilla that have dome top and bottom and a stand and this unit holds about 3bar so it can be used like a keg or fermenter and this unit will be about $60-70 approximately and available in sizes from 30-55L. So this is probably what I would recommend you purchase if you really want a fermenter to fit into your Series 4 Keg Fridge. Otherwise if you can wait for the dedicated fermentation fridge then you should be able to purchase this at the end of this year.

Not having a cone like the snub nose makes no sense? A flat bottom FermZilla makes sense? Doesn't hold pressure? A domed bottom FermZilla makes sense?
Priority is to get the FermZilla out into the market place without dents, now that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

A flat bottom non-pressurisable fermenter is the most basic and least expensive product to supply to a customer which is why it's at the lowest price bracket.

What makes sense is to provide a range of fermenters at different price point and with differing feature set. Some customers don't need to hold pressure and they might want to save a buck. So the FermZilla - Flat Bottom Is for them as it will be about $100 cheaper than the FermZilla Conical Tank currently is.

The reason why the beer industry generally use a cone on a tank is because the cone allows you to collect and then dump the contents of the cone. If you want to make a pressure vessel that doen't dump anything from the cone you really should make the end a dome as a dome is:
1. More compact and will reduce the height of the tank
2. A dome will hold more pressure than a cone
3. As far as blow moulding the vessel a dome end is less problematic to blow and in most instances gives you better material distribution. This results in superior stretch ratio, improved clarity and improved gas barrier and physical properties of the tank.

A cone on a tank comes at a sacrifice. The benefit of being able to dump out of the cone is a great enough benefit to sacrifice some of it's attributes as a pressure vessel. Well this would be the case with a normal conical uni-tank. So to be more clear. When I say it "makes no sense" the snub nose cone has none of the benefits of a cone, only the constraints. This to me "makes no sense".

So if I'm picturing them correctly and they both have the same Fermzilla lid, the flat bottom will essentially be a rival to the better-bottle but with a wider neck and lower price tag while the dome bottom is simply a PET kegmenter. These will be much more fridge-friendly options than the current conical model and I'm happy with the good old swish-and-tip method of yeast harvesting.

Lots of wasted space creates an unnecessarily high fermenter
AT30LCARNATV-2-2.jpg

$18 .22 cost, can take pressure, and a hot water wash. 80 mm lower and less capacity than a snub nose.

Good thing you only like ~2psi, sounds like it would suit you perfectly.
Wouldn't suit a lot of people.

This I agree with, not quite sure what the goal is yet

When is the "Temp Twister" going to be available and will there be a jacket available in the future for the 55L?

We don't have the exact date yet but I think the Temp Twister and the cooling jacket will be in stock in about 3-4 weeks

Priority is to get the FermZilla out into the market place without dents, now that makes sense.

A flat bottom non-pressurisable fermenter is the most basic and least expensive product to supply to a customer which is why it's at the lowest price bracket.

What makes sense is to provide a range of fermenters at different price point and with differing feature set. Some customers don't need to hold pressure and they might want to save a buck. So the FermZilla - Flat Bottom Is for them as it will be about $100 cheaper than the FermZilla Conical Tank currently is.

The reason why the beer industry generally use a cone on a tank is because the cone allows you to collect and then dump the contents of the cone. If you want to make a pressure vessel that doen't dump anything from the cone you really should make the end a dome as a dome is:
3. As far as blow moulding the vessel a dome end is less problematic to blow and in most instances gives you better material distribution. This results in superior stretch ratio, improved clarity and improved gas barrier and physical properties of the tank.

A cone on a tank comes at a sacrifice. The benefit of being able to dump out of the cone is a great enough benefit to sacrifice some of it's attributes as a pressure vessel. Well this would be the case with a normal conical uni-tank. So to be more clear. When I say it "makes no sense" the snub nose cone has none of the benefits of a cone, only the constraints. This to me "makes no sense".[/QUOTE]
1. I would have said a dome would be about the same height as a FermZilla with the 90 degree included angle.
2. What difference in pressure are we talking, my understanding is most people would not go much higher than 15 PSI, my snubbies do that even with the ball valves in.
3. Don't know the ins and outs of blow molding, if its going to be easier go for it, sounds like those large 50 litre PET kegs with a dome bottom which KK have. (If they read these posts you might have just given the game away.)
I got 2 snubbies for around the same price as a FermZilla, pressure transfer off the yeast, into secondary tip out the saved yeast easy. And the best part is they can easily fit into a kegerator S4,

A cone on a tank comes at a sacrifice. The benefit of being able to dump out of the cone is a great enough benefit to sacrifice some of it's attributes as a pressure vessel. Well this would be the case with a normal conical uni-tank. So to be more clear. When I say it "makes no sense" the snub nose cone has none of the benefits of a cone, only the constraints. This to me "makes no sense".
1. I would have said a dome would be about the same height as a FermZilla with the 90 degree included angle.
2. What difference in pressure are we talking, my understanding is most people would not go much higher than 15 PSI, my snubbies do that even with the ball valves in.
3. Don't know the ins and outs of blow molding, if its going to be easier go for it, sounds like those large 50 litre PET kegs with a dome bottom which KK have. (If they read these posts you might have just given the game away.)
I got 2 snubbies for around the same price as a FermZilla, pressure transfer off the yeast, into secondary tip out the saved yeast easy. And the best part is they can easily fit into a kegerator S4,[/QUOTE]

1. The dome on the base reduces the overall height of the FermZilla with dome on the bottom by about 15% when compared with a similar cone shape.
2. Yes if you are happy with 15psi then that might be all you require. In some instances customers may want to force carbonate or use the FermZilla as a keg. So the higher pressures simply make it a more versatile tank.
3. The large 50L PET kegs would need a total overhaul. The opening at the top is only about 60mm making it really too small to be used as a fermenter. Even the snub has an opening which is arguably too small now that the FermZilla exists. As mentioned the FermZilla units that will begin to arrive in 2 months are more compact than the Snub nose so they will fit into the Series 4 Kegerator even more easily, they will cost less, hold significant pressure, have a much larger opening at the top, have more accessories available.

3. The large 50L PET kegs would need a total overhaul. The opening at the top is only about 60mm making it really too small to be used as a fermenter. Even the snub has an opening which is arguably too small now that the FermZilla exists. As mentioned the FermZilla units that will begin to arrive in 2 months are more compact than the Snub nose so they will fit into the Series 4 Kegerator even more easily, they will cost less, hold significant pressure, have a much larger opening at the top, have more accessories available.
I use cubes and jerrycans as fermenters all the time, brewed many award winning beers with them and they have 40mm to 60mm openings...
You make a lot of claims about how things are unsuitable etc or your products are "better" but there seems to be little to no actual proven basis for those claims

I thought you were against expensive fermenting fridges?
Personally, I think using a kegerator to ferment in is just silly.

Yes would tend to agree with you. Fermenting fridge is a great idea but you need a separate fridge to keep your kegs in and trying to make one model that is good for both is really is not the best solution.

Back