Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real purpose of the dump valve is to dump the trub, the racking arm is above the yeast bed, dump the yeast and you lose the beer which has displaced the yeast as it is below the racking arm.
I have posted this before in the Fermentasaurus thread.
https://ssbrewtech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202956495-More-on-dumping-trub-from-a-Chronical

If you are talking about a commercial unitank, there is a rotating arm on the inside of the of the racking arm allowing you to do as the name suggests and rotate it around until you pick up the hop trub and some of the left over extra yeast which has settled out. This allows for the absolute minimal wastage possible. The video you posted shows this perfectly.

Going back to our man Jasper, at the start of the below video he states getting the yeast off the bottom of the beer as soon as possible is best.

If you are talking about a commercial unitank, there is a rotating arm on the inside of the of the racking arm allowing you to do as the name suggests and rotate it around until you pick up the hop trub and some of the left over extra yeast which has settled out. This allows for the absolute minimal wastage possible. The video you posted shows this perfectly.

Going back to our man Jasper, at the start of the below video he states getting the yeast off the bottom of the beer as soon as possible is best.

I think what you will find is that Jasper is going to dry hop, the pro brewers cold crash and crop the yeast before dry hopping. The previous video where they took the beer off the yeast they would be dumping the yeast.

This is what not to do.
full

Different strata of yeast and trub. Its a messy way of doing things, then there is the cleaning involved of the butterfly valve

This is the play. I've been using this of late: https://www.kegland.com.au/stainless-steel-hop-tube.html it's awesome. Currently packed with 250g of toasted coconut in a porter keg. Only slight modification is to shorten the chain so it is suspended in the keg rather than sitting on the bottom (I had dispensing issues with it on the bottom).
After using the hop tube, how do you clean the chain? Each ball of the chain is hollow and will be full of what ever it was immersed in.

After using the hop tube, how do you clean the chain? Each ball of the chain is hollow and will be full of what ever it was immersed in.

Boil in HLT full of water for 10 mins, let it cool a little, add PBW, leave for an hour or so, rinse, then leave to dry out.

Can you please provide some feedback on this?

I was dry hopping early during active fermentation so I didn't/couldn't drop the yeast.
I figured the collection ball was pretty useless with a 200g dry hop so didn't attempt anything.

The recipe is here for reference https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/817962/hop-monster-comp-neipl
It is about what can happen dry hopping over the yeast, looks like it was still fermenting when you dry hopped. As I mentioned in my post previously the pro brewers remove the yeast prior to dry hopping, 3 days as in your recipe the yeast should be finished.
Not having a shot at you, just an indication of the mess dry hopping makes when put in with fermenting yeast.

So got my Fermzilla thanks to Bbowzky1, much appreciated mate, (this is someone who should give a bit more time to post on here) took it along to our club meet for the unveiling everyone was in anticipation to get their first view.
1) Big tick of approval the large diameter opening.
2) Big tick of approval the larger dump valve, although most thought it was a bit of over kill.
3) Unfortunately there were 2 large scratches on the outside of the body, don't know if it is PET or plastic, I doubt whether they were deep enough to cause any problem fermenting under pressure just that I was expecting a pristine finish on a new product.
4) The seal at the bottom of the fermenter looks like black rubber, obviously I doubt that it is but maybe KL could confirm what the material is.
5) The most disappointing of the reveal, a dent in the PET or whatever the material is at the bottom of the fermenter. No damage on the box so looks like it was boxed with dent, don't know if it was from the process of the blow moulding or the attaching of the fittings.
Anyone else found a similar problem with denting?
001.JPG

I can see the dent, can't see any scratches, could it be vacuum that has caused the dent? Maybe some warm water could draw it out.

I think what you will find is that Jasper is going to dry hop, the pro brewers cold crash and crop the yeast before dry hopping. The previous video where they took the beer off the yeast they would be dumping the yeast.

Can I ask which pro brewers? Where are you getting your info from?

Again our man Jasper will explain when to dump and why. From about 1-4mins

When you have the pressure kit, apply a small amount of pressure, draw sample through the liquid out post.

When you don’t, siphon/wine thief I guess

Took delivery today of two Fermzilla's (one for me and the other for my brother), just gotta keg the strawberry stout I have in the gen1 fermntasaurus so I can make way for this little fella in my fermenting fridge!

Was either of them dented?
No, both are in good condition no scratches or dents. That said, the stands were poking out of both cardboard boxes (one worse than the other), they should probably wrap the top ring of the stand in something protective as the PET 'bottle' just rattles around inside of it and that's only covered by a thin plastic bag which doesn't offer much protection. Packed on the cheaper side for sure, not that I'm a fan of excess packaging but yeah, room for improvement..

That's what is odd about this one, no damage whatsoever on the box but 2 big scratches and a dent so obviously packed that way.

I could've sworn Gash's unboxing video had a dent in his one, but he didn't mention it.

Latest posts

Back