Fermenter frothing through airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesey

Reaction score
Hi guys i have just started brewing i am on my third brew and on the first and third brews the fermenter has had excess froth back up through the airlock within the first 24 hours i have followed the instructions on the wort tin is this a common thing to happen

What temperature are you fermenting at?
I suspect you have no temperature control, and the fermentation is running off at a gallop.

More head space required! I get this sometimes when squeezing extra beer out of Better Bottle and when using Belgian yeasts.
Get a blow off tube.

While a blow off tube will solve the mess issue, it will not solve the underlying issue-

If you can give us a bit more info we can work on a few potential issues :)

What is your beer from? EG like a kit and kilo of malt / Sugar? or extract?

If kit, what kit is it?

how are you controlling the temperature? Are you able to change the temp?

Do you know what yeast it is? Eg kit yeast or a different one?

How much headspace do you have in the fermenter? ( space from the top of liquid before it started to ferment to the very top)

With the first batch that frothed out, did you notice any off/ odd flavours in the beer? if so please describe the flavour.

Cheers
Mick

Hi mick it is a brigalow draught and using the kit yeast there is about 250mm of head space in the tub as i have brewed to 23L in a 30L tub and controlling temp with a heat belt and is pretty steady on 25 degrees as instuctions on tin recommended 27-25 fermentation temp i have sampled the first brew although not a classic it is still quite drinkable with a slight bitter after taste

Cheesey said:
Hi mick it is a brigalow draught and using the kit yeast there is about 250mm of head space in the tub as i have brewed to 23L in a 30L tub and controlling temp with a heat belt and is pretty steady on 25 degrees as instuctions on tin recommended 27-25 fermentation temp i have sampled the first brew although not a classic it is still quite drinkable with a slight bitter after taste
Step 1 to solving your problem is to toss those instructions in the bin. The only reason Brigalow publish that nonsense is to ensure your fermentation takes off. However, the result is a way too hot fermentation. Your yeast is very very happy at that temperature, but it produces crap beer and a far too rapid fermentation with undesirable by-products and less than desirable flavour outcomes. Please stop using the heat belt at this time of the year, you might need it but possibly only in winter. If you can, control your fermentation temperature to about 18ºC, and you won't have the rapid fermentation you are now experiencing, and you will produce much better beer.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I'm trying to be helpful. Good luck with your brewing. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Ok Cool,
for future brews i would say drop the temp back to 18 degree's ( these kits always want high temps! i think it is so the beer ferments faster)

It has been a long while since i did any kits, but i remember the Brigalow ones not having the best reputation, but if you like the beer you are making keep using them :)

23L in a 30L fermenter is fine.

You may even need to look at trying to keep it cool while fermenting, i use a fridge with a temp controller but if you search on this forum you will find plenty of virtually free methods of controlling temperature down lower.

would also recommend checking out some different yeasts available from home brew stores, my favourite for ales / Draught style beers is US-05, it is in a bright pink packet, usually around the $5-6 mark.

Hope this helps! I am by no means an expert but happy to share all i know!

Aint harsh words Warra. We all learnt these things the hard way. First things to read up on Cheesey is yeast and temperatures. At this stage 25c is way too hot for this style of beer. Can cause more problems than a mess coming out an airlock. Beer may be barely drinkable! However, could also mean a few other things. At least sounds like you have a healthy, active yeast. Could be the opposite.

Next thing you'll learn is a lot of blokes brew without airlocks or blow tubes ... but that isn't for this time.

Keep reading, its all a learning thing.

To OP: yes this can be the dangerous time of year for beginners as I found out myself in my early kit days. There are lots of ways of keeping the fermenter cool during summer without spending a fortune, for example using a dead fridge as an insulated cabinet and swapping frozen soft drink bottles in and out, etc. have a browse around.

Hey welcome back Fats :super:

Hey guys thanks for the replies and no problem Warra not taken as harsh words but as useful information

I think I'm going to have to try a lidless batch as the blow offs I've had recently are ridiculous. Pitching at 22-24, ambient ~15-16, ferment temp 18 which drops down to ambient when done. Not sure if I want to risk lower pitch temps, I hate slow ferments. Then again my fermentation fridge is now lined with stout...

I think we all started making beer to save money, but soon enough the brewing becomes all about the flavour.
A few dollars extra for yeast is a good investment in the beer outcome, but temp control (you will find) is king and should be prioritised ahead of other improvements.
As the weather warms, the heat belt must be replaced with something to cool the fermenting beer.

One of the main reasons to keep the ferment under 20ish degrees is to minimise the harsh alcohols produced at higher temp and the hot flavours and splitting headaches that will result.
In general, a cooler fermentation makes a more drinkable beer, with better flavours and less hangover potential. See where I'm going?

Visit the various yeast websites and note recommended brew temps for their yeast. Pick one and buy it and see how it changes the resultant beer.

Welcome to the forum and the beginning of a beautiful obsession. Please do not drink too hard or you will burn out too early and not appreciate the flavours along the way.

* Les steps down from the soapbox and hands over to the next orator.

One of the main reasons to keep the ferment under 20ish degrees is to minimise the harsh alcohols produced at higher temp and the hot flavours and splitting headaches that will result.

Yep, just part of the whole home brewing world, Cheesey.

My last volcanic ferment was when I used German Ale yeast for the first time. It came shooting out of the airlock and spat foam everywhere. The beer turned out really nice.

Am about to do a big American Pale Ale @ 6.5%, which might also spit. But never quite know if a brew will go crazy. But it's never a problem really if it does. It's always nice to know the yeast has done a good job though.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Pete

Cheers Pete just cracked another bottle of the first brew that erupted in the tub and it is tasting nicer with each bottle I suppose it is to be expected when you first start out all you want to do is taste it but much nicer now it has aged for nearly 10 weeks

Good to hear Cheesey.

Laid the Murica brew down yesterday (recipe attached). It promises to be a big brew - 3 packets of yeast - with lots of spitting :D It was also my last in 2016 - need the brew fridge as overflow Xmas/New Year food & drinks storage. Will punch out an English IPA in January.

Happy brewing.

Cheers,

Pete

View attachment Murica - APA - Recipe.pdf

Latest posts

Back